The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bucking mare

I am having a vet work up done on this mare but wanted some thoughts. 6yo mare who I broke myself with no problems though she was always pretty sensitive around the flanks and would kick out at the longlines or the crupper when I use it. she has pretty much gotten over that but will occassionaly still do it. Under saddle, walk and trot, no problem but cantering she will canter very nicley but after maybe one circuit of the ring, she will kick out, not a buck as such but more of a kick. At first I thought she was reacting to my leg but now not so sure. If I am very diligent, I can prevent the buck but not easy! I am wondering if she has back/hock.stifle issues. Ideas?

Hmmm... Maybe she needs a chiropractor? Does the saddle fit?

oh... BTW did you reschedule with the saddle fitter?

eta: Don't know if you already have a chiro, if not I can give you Patsy's #.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

it could also be a hock issue. My old horse was fine cantering and started doing just what you described. Every time around the ring or so he would throw one buck in. Not a get you off buck just a regular buck. His saddle fit and everything else was fine. The vet found he had arthritis in his hock.

Chiro.
    Vet told me bucking is usually a sign of back issues if it isn't a typical behaviour.

let me know if chiro helps, i have a mare with undiagnosed back issues - I've been reading up on "kissing spines" which is something I'd never heard of until I saw it on this forum.

Those that have gotten chiro on their horses - does it actually help? or is it a waste of money?

I'd start with a vet lameness exam and then do chiro or other after getting a work up. Could be anything from feet to back, hocks, SI joint, saddle fit, teeth, and even the repro organs. A vet can look at all these and form a plan which may or may not include chiro.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

I have used osteo and chiro's to keep my mare right while jumping. What I didn't do was use Chiro for things I wasn't sure about so I could save money and feel I was doing the right thing. They have their place. I have a great one but he's no substitute for just guessing. My chiro wouldn't let that happen anyway. Unlike some in this country he actually doesn't have a God complex.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    Those that have gotten chiro on their horses - does it actually help? or is it a waste of money?
    If you have a good one the are worth every penny. Mine does massage as well as chiro. She gets them nice and loose before she adjusts, they adjust better and will hold the adjustments better.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    I'd start with a vet lameness exam and then do chiro or other after getting a work up. Could be anything from feet to back, hocks, SI joint, saddle fit, teeth, and even the repro organs. A vet can look at all these and form a plan which may or may not include chiro.

Terri
    Yes!!!!!
    No matter how good a chiro is, no matter how beneficial the massage, if they are treating the problem which can range from bone changes, to tendon ligament changes, to metabolic changes, without an accurate diagnosis, they are in over their heads.
    Last edited by merrygoround; Jan. 30, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I am going with the vet first to rule out medial issues first. Teeth and feet are good. She got a massage the other day and there were some decent knots in the saddle area and one side of her neck. We are planning a saddle fitter soon and she is on the list. Interesting that she does the behavior with a surcingle as well.
    Amy, I would like the chiro's number. Thanks everyone!

You have a PM