The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cheap & Safe flags for cross country

Has anyone tried swimming pool noodles? With the center hollow filled with a piece of garden hose that has been filled with sand, they stand up staght are easy to attach to jumps, and can be wrapped in vet wrap if they need to be white.
    Note: to fill garden hose with sand, squirt a little expandable foam into one end add sand, and plug other end with expandable foam.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for posting this excellent suggestion! Has anyone tried this method in competition yet? And can anyone post a picture?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

That actually sounds really cool! A little more work perhaps but a neat idea. I've always wondered why they don't use flexible jump flags and just tether the bottom, makes more sense in my mind.

A nice idea, but I wonder if they would wave in the breeze enough to spook horses? What if they were stiffened in the middle with a breakable piece of wood, which would be VERY unlikely to turn dangerous as it's encased in all that foam?
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    A nice idea, but I wonder if they would wave in the breeze enough to spook horses? What if they were stiffened in the middle with a breakable piece of wood, which would be VERY unlikely to turn dangerous as it's encased in all that foam?
    For that matter, take a wooden dowel, run it down the hose or even better, 1/2" pvc piping. Run it down the hose..voila, protected flag holder.

I do use 1/2' pvc pipe cut to 10'. I clip it on the sides and the only thingI've not tried is putting a small hole in the bottom with a lanyard so the pole would go flying off if hit (we never hit the flags ;-) )There is some slight movement, but only in a pretty stiff breeze. You can paint them or just use the off white color.

What if you just fill the center with that foam stuff?

I use noodles to desensitize horses, and for toys. I saw an artical about a horse impaled on cr. country and thought of the noodles. I think all of the above suggestions have potential, maybe folks can make a few demos. I'll try to find a couple noodles that are not so beaten up. Do we want something stiff or floppy or in between? How long do they need to be? May take a few days here, any one else game to try?