The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Beautiful Day, Awesome Ride....

It was in the mid 70's here in Va today, sunny, just a beautiful day for the end of January. A barn buddy and I met at the barn and went out for a trail ride. Had to be a little careful in a few places for mud, but there were several areas where it was dry enough to trot and canter. My mare even volunteered a nice gallop going up a hill in the back field. The barn manager thinks my friend and I are chicken( he events and likes to go fast) and as older ladies we like to be in control. He caught up with us while we were riding out today. He had his mouth wide open when I went galloping past him. I was laughing out loud at the look on his face and the fact that my mare was being so awesome, considering not being ridden much in the last few weeks due to the inclement weather. Hope everyone else got in a good ride today.

1 members found this post helpful.

Glad you had fun. We had a really warm (low 60s) day yesterday in the Ohio valley and while I didn't have time to hack out after work, I did get a really nice flatwork school in outside, wearing a polo and my regular boots. Such a nice change of pace for late January. In contrast the high on Friday is supposed to be 15 deg.......

Loved the post! sometimes we old ladies can still surprise em!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Caballero, yep we will have colder weather Friday as well(not quite as cold as you), but 37 will feel cold after two days in the 70's. Supposed to have snow flurries Thursday night into Friday as well.

Well aren't you lucky. Here in southern Maine, it was in the single digits all last week, ring is snowed in and icy, and today it's 60 degrees, rainy and windy. I am going to try to ride but I'm sure the footing will be terrible.
    Oh, to have my horse at an indoor for the winter...but it's not in the budget this year, and I get cabin fever anyway after a while
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

it was 70 degrees here in NC on Monday and Tuesday, then dropped to the low 40s during the day the last two days. Nice rides while it was pretty though, couldn't quite bring myself to ride in the 30 degree weather after dark when I'd just spent a bunch of hours walking around teaching lessons. Just wanted to get inside where it was warm!!