The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Are My Cats Just Winding Me Up? ...

Or can they really be THAT hungry?

They want treats ALL.THE.TIME. Every single time I go into the kitchen they come from wherever they were (apparently sound asleep sometimes) and meow and meow and meow.

And I usually cave in and give them treats. A few. After all these are not growing kittens.

Earlier today I gave them some REAL MEAT. Then I took my portion of that real meat and went to sit down to eat. They come with me. Velvet got up on the sofa with me and watched my plate. Or rather watched the meat on the plate. T.O.M. sat on the floor and started at my hand conveying the food to my mouth as if his eyes were riveted to my skin.

These cats have food out all the time. And they eat it. Now, maybe they don't love it, but they eat it well.

But every single time I go into the kitchen they convince me they really are starving.

And I feel so guilty. How can I eat and not feed them?

But as I said, they are not kittens. And I don't want them to be fat cats.

They are good weight, in good condition. But either they are starving or I am a sucker.

Which can it be?
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

They have you very well trained! You go to the kitchen and give them treats when they whine.

If you want them to stop whining, you have to stop feeding them when they whine

You are a sucker and a consistent one. Also, you have the goods. And your cats are neither stupid nor holding jobs.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

They are getting rewarded just like a gambler at a slot machine. It doesn't matter if they don't always get a treat, they've won enough times that they will keep on trying. Don't be surprised if the behavior gets much worse if you stop giving treats. Eventually it will get extinguished.
    You are what you dare.

"A sucker and a consistent one."
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

SUCKA!

yep. a well trained one, too.

Like DH... it started when I brought the kittens home...he sat down with food, next thing we knew BOTH kittens were on his (empty) plate!

It is ok for them to look at empty bowls now and then, it os Ok for you to eat your meal without sharing!
    Although...some meals are off limits: Chicken biscuits HAVE to be shared...like I get the biscuit, Cat gets the chicken.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

My cat has food out all the time too but is CRAZY for treats - she prefers Whiskas Temptations.

If I even walk in the direction of the kitchen she runs in there and sits by the treat bowl. It gets kind of old, but it's my fault because I used to give treats whenever she asked.

Now we have designated treat time - when I get up in the morning (first thing of course!), and when I get home from work. At least this way I only get howled at twice a day.

Yes, I know she has me well trained.

It's the cat whammy. They have powerful magics that make you anxious if their bows are empty. You can overcome the cat whammy, but it takes training and discipline.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    You are a sucker and a consistent one. Also, you have the goods. And your cats are neither stupid nor holding jobs.
    Of course they have jobs. Training Wellspotted!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

1 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

The Feline Motto:
    "Good Help, so hard to find..."

Yes, they train us and it is not always food-related.
    My housecat has me trained to turn on the tap in the guest bath - just a trickle - so she can perch on the bowl and drink.
    With her own bowl freshly-filled with the same water that comes out of that tap.

DH used to empty his pockets on his dresser.
    Our cat (different cat - RIP, Dempsey) would jump up and knock coins off, one by one, until it maddened DH so he got up and fed the cat.
    Same cat would also scritch DH's side of the mattress - he knew if he tried my side he'd be swatted back to Sunday, but it got DH up to feed the cat!

We also had a woodburned plaque in the kitchen that read on one side: Cats Are Fed and on the other Cats Are Hungry
    If used correctly, first one home fed the cats then flipped the sign to the "Fed" side.
    If this procedure was not followed, cats would con the 2nd one hiome with their Starving Kitty act and get fed again.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

My cat has to eat anything I am eating on the couch. She doesn't eat what I do from the table though, probably because both my dogs are sitting around begging. The cat helps herself if I don't offer her something so rather than have her paw in the pretzel bag for example, I just give it to her first!

Mine actually don't enjoy cat treats. But Oliver MUST have exactly three "brefusses" (breakfasts) every. single. day. This dates back to when he was first diagnosed with (had exploratory surgery, almost starved to death) inflammatory bowel disease. I fed him a good 4 - 5 times a day. He knows the words "brefuss," "lunchie," "din" and "snackie." I know, I am a baby talking sap.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Wellspotted, I have you beat. My kitties eat everything in the kitchen. They even get into the pantry and eat raw rice, oatmeal, potato chips, dried pasta, rice crispies, anything and everything.

They are fed 5-6 times a day with wet food (Wellness brand) and are always hungry, they lick silverware in the sink when I leave it.

They were both feral before we adopted them at a high kill shelter......and there are times I think I am going crazy.

If this procedure was not followed, cats would con the 2nd one hiome with their Starving Kitty act and get fed again.
    HA! My house boys are pretty good boys and know better than try and convince me of too much. I turn the tap on in the bathroom, and wised up to keeping a water glass on my bedside table (because, you know, there certainly was not two clean water bowls in the kitchen, so the one HAD to drink out of my glass at night). They're good boys....well, in that respect.

But my barn cats, especially the big one, will lie to any and all who are willing to listen and know where the cat food is. I usually feed the two of them in the morning when I'm done feeding and turning out, but they often will meet the trainer, licking their chops and howling like they've not been fed in weeks. Liars!!!

Thank you all very much for your feedback and stories.

We are doing better, I think. I have cut WAY down on the treats, and the kitties haven't really begged much, considering. And they don't seem to be holding grudges--they still sleep with me.

I have given treats for "brefuss" both days, and real salmon later in the day, and have actually been allowed to go into the kitchen occasionally without being made to feel cruel.

Oliverreed, I love the word "brefuss." It was a word used at home when I was little and I had forgotten all about it 'til I saw it in your post. Thanks for reminding me!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

HaH! I just love when they bring me "treats". Moles, mice, baby bunnies.... Just waiting for a horse body.