The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Safe pain/arthritis management for broodmares

I have a lovely ex race mare that I will be breeding mid march. Her racing career ended abruptly and I can by no means say she is sound. She limps around fairly well, eats about as much as two horses (or as much as I will allow her to have), has a shine to her coat, and loves attention. I had her on finish lines easy willow but it is not safe for breeding.
    Any suggestions that are safe for her? She was especially stiff during our recent cold snap.

I would imagine her baby will need to be weaned early as she won't be able to keep up with it as he/she gets bigger and older. I love this mare and she won 13 races in her career, 8 of which for me at non claiming levels. She's got great bloodlines and if she can pass along a third of her talent her baby would be a winner.
    I already have the stallion picked out and booked. She's been under lights for the past month.
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

Southern California

Pentosan I haven't been able to find specific research on use in pregnant mares but there has been no anecdotal evidence to suggest against using it. A vet who did some work in New Zealand says practically every competition horse is on it as are many broodmares. I used it 4x in the beginning of my mare's pregnancy.

Previcox is also safe for broodmares AFAIK.

For feed through supplements, I suggest SmartPak Senior Herb Free, as it does not have Devil's Claw or yucca.
    St├╝bben North America
    Los Angeles - Ventura County - San Luis Obispo

Hmm I did not know previcox is safe for her may need to look into that
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.