The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Repro vet recommendations - Willamette Valley (OR)?

Would love to hear any recommendations for good repro vets here in the Willamette Valley. We're toying with the idea of trying to breed my mare again this spring and would like to stack the cards in our favor, this time.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Lisa Metcalf, http://www.honahleevet.us/welcome.html

I have heard really good things about her results.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

1 members found this post helpful.

Dr. Root at Oakhurst Equine in Newburg. http://www.oakhurstthoroughbreds.com/equine_rep.asp
    They stand several thoroughbred stallions, but they are also a full service equine reproductive facility for all breeds. He's probably the best repro vet in the state.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Wild Maple Designs - Equestrian inspired apparel.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoroughbred in Color View Post
    Dr. Root at Oakhurst Equine in Newburg. http://www.oakhurstthoroughbreds.com/equine_rep.asp
    They stand several thoroughbred stallions, but they are also a full service equine reproductive facility for all breeds. He's probably the best repro vet in the state.
    This is what I keep hearing. And it looks like they offer a flat rate, per-cycle fee, which my back account finds attractive, since my bill from last season's attempt included nearly $1k in farm call charges alone. I'll have to put a call in about what the current rates are, it looks like $345/445 plus board for fresh/frozen.

I talked to them last year when I was thinking about breeding my mare. I don't remember what the charges were exactly, but I don't think they've gone up too much from what they have on their website. They have a really good success rate with difficult mares too.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Do you have any recollection as far as what the board rates were? I'm looking at stallions and trying to ballpark an approximate cost so I know what I'd need to set aside.

I think it was something like $15/day for a dry mare and $20 for a mare with a foal.
    Theodore Roosevelt

I have no idea if he's taking new clients or not but Dr Braat at linn vet hospital in Albany is an excellent repro vet. It's not going to cost you and arm and a leg in extra fees either

Quote Originally Posted by jennywho View Post
    I have no idea if he's taking new clients or not but Dr Braat at linn vet hospital in Albany is an excellent repro vet. It's not going to cost you and arm and a leg in extra fees either
    Good to hear, since I already lost one pair in the previous experience. That was one painful bill. Albany is just down the road from us.

I absolutely love Dr. Connie Schmidt who is in Lebanon. I have had clients use her, so I've dealt with her from the stallion owner side of things -- and she is AWESOME. Great conception rates for my clients! Super nice lady, also!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I agree that Jack Root is almost certainly the best in the state. He's been doing higher volume for a longer time and is passionate about what he does (stays on top of new developments). His prices have always been very modest. Think carefully about your plans for the day before inviting conversation on TB pedigrees .

I can't really think of anyone to specifically say "stay away."
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

He may be too far away from you, but as a Stallion Owner, I was super impressed with Gary Martin from Northwest Mare Services in Terrabonne, Oregon. Cannot say enough good things about him! We shipped semen to him for three different mares over the years, he knew exactly when to order semen, knew exactly how the mares were ovulating, etc. and every mare got pregnant on one insemination. Now, our stallion Alvesta Picasso is known for his stellar semen, but Gary went above and beyond to make sure the Mare Owner was going to be spending the least amount of money He was also super personable and easy to deal with.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh, ISR/Oldenburg, Westphalian & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap LOM
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com