The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Recommendations for stallion OO Seven & Quality of Frozen?

I am considering breeding my mare to the Dutch stallion OO Seven and would appreciate input from others who have also. Did you like his foals? How was their temperment and movement?
    I am hoping he will refine and improve the shoulder and fore leg of my older, heavy mare.
    Was the frozen semen good quality? Did your mare concieve on the first cycle?
    TIA

I believe you contacted me via e-mail and since I've been transitioning to a new PC I managed to "lose" your post. My apologies for that!

I have bred to OO7 on several occasions and here is what I have found -
    1. He definitely reduces size - none of my offspring achieved the size of their dam.
    2. He does not improve a shorter front leg;
    3. His frozen semen is excellent;
    4. He can improve movement and temperament;
    5. He's homozygous for black;

Several of my OO7 foals finished in the Top Five in the country (KWPN-NA) and my very first colt won the FEI Young Horse Competitions in the US as a 4-year old (placed 4th, I think as a 6-year old).

Hope this helps!
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

A local dressage trainer just came out at PSG with a 007 out of a Uniform mare, bred by DG Bar. He is a really big boy, easily 17 hands.

My friend has a 007. Very tall boy, super front end with a great shoulder/neck connection. Movement wise he was nice, temperament and rideability was poor, but he had a rough start (feral to two years old) and never turned around enough to trust people enough to really shine under saddle.

But he sure is gorgeous and has great presence. He was a frozen baby as well.
    Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique!!!

Siegi - Don't worry I have problems just posting on this forum so I can understand how switching to a new computer could be problematic. Yes, that was me who emailed about OO Seven. Thanks for your response, it is helpful.
    It certainly sounds as though he produces quality foals and will improve my mares weaknesses. Sure wish he added front leg length though.
    How much smaller were your foals compared to their dams? My mare is 16.2 h.
    Did most of your mares concieve on the first cycle?

Oakstable and honeychile - thanks for your input it helps to get a broad picture of his get.

Well, he is here in Australia now.

I saw him recently competing at grand prix and had the chance to talk to his current rider and also Emmie de Jeu about him and he really is a lovely horse Beautiful boy, big mover and that lovely, lovely temperament. Typical Rubinstein. His freestyle was to Gangham Style and he just absolutely soaked up the crowd and atmosphere. Perhaps he's not the horse to breed to for a modern and super talented professionals horse but I think he'd be an excellent pick for an ammie mount to go up through the levels.

madamlb - Thanks for your perspective. As I was doing research on 007 I became aware that he was in Oz now. Kicking myself because my husband was just visiting family in Victoria and NSW so I was wishing I was with him so I could see 007. But somebody had to mind the farm here.
    Have you seen any of 007's foals in Oz?

I know two that were both bred by Judy Reggio. I rode the one as a green broke 3 year old, and she was such a pleasure. She was so easy and willing. Both her and her brother are powerful and uphill, and really good movers.

profar - I have mostly large/tall broodmares and so it almost didn't matter to get shorter offspring. My first foal ended up around 17 hands, maybe even 17.1, but then his dam is 17.2 hands. She had a second colt by OO7 because I liked the first one so much, and this one will maybe finish at 16.2 hands. Both foals are very nice movers and have good characters. Another colt out of my Gelders mare was in the Top Five in the country as a foal and got his Ster equivalent as a 3-year old. Then he quit growing in height but added to his length, add the shorter front legs the dam contributed and you now have a horse that's tough to ride uphill. His walk, trot and canter are incredibly powerful with lots of articulation of the joints, but if he had longer front legs he'd be a million dollar horse.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.