The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Betting at the Virginia Gold Cup

I may have missed something, but did stroll down a page or two. Would've thought this would have been old news by now.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ginia-gold-cup

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    I may have missed something, but did stroll down a page or two. Would've thought this would have been old news by now.
    It was cited in the thread on the demise of The Steeplechase Times but now that you brought it up I hope to goodness the organizers pimp, hype, push, promote, and hammer away this new opportunity. If they don't promote it they will have squandered a great opportunity to distinguish this race date from almost every other.

It's no secret that the GC brings in a huge contingent of 20-something fans from DC who try to make this their First Saturday in May "Derby". These are smartphone adept and wagering hungry folks. Not having to do a classic wagering scenario (line up for the window) for all wagers and instead using mobile devices goes along way.

I wonder what the takeout will be. In 2009 the one year the New Jersey Far Hills races had wagering (done through Woodbine) it was going to be steep:

Takeout for win-place-show bets will be 16.8 percent. Takeout on exactas and one daily double linking the first two races will be 24.8 percent, and takeout on trifectas will be 27.8 percent.
    However the wagering never got out of the gate and was nixed just days before the fall race.

Bacardi1 is offline Banned Premium Member
    Original Poster

Well, to be honest, the fact that the "Gold Cup" manages to maintain a sales office in old-town Warrenton - which they have for many years - has to mean that they're not exactly hurting for funds.

But betting will certainly up that ante.

A bit more on the wager news in depth:

Gold Cup will choose from between two tote companies, EZ Horseplay and United Tote.

EZ Horseplay is the advanced deposit wagering division of Colonial Downs, Virginia's only pari-mutuel track. EZ Horseplay uses a secure, closed-loop Internet-based system accessed by individually-assigned account number.

Open only to Virginia residents, players can open an account on a self-service kiosk located in restaurants and clubs around the state, including the Blackthorne Inn in Upperville.

Once registered, players can access their account via telephone, personal computer, wireless device or terminal.

EZ Horseplay customers can watch races from all over the world on their personal computers or wireless devices, or at Horseplay terminals, as well as receive payout on winning bets either in cash at terminals or have it placed directly on Horseplay accounts.
    What had been more lose in the past won't be allowed now.

Every official, every horseman, even every groom, must be licensed by the VRC [Virginia Racing Commission]. The stable area, Allison added, previously loosely guarded and open to friends and families of owners, will be enclosed and rigorously secure. “Any possible misconduct has to be protected against,” he said.

Maryland's Fair Hill is currently the only American jump meet with pari-mutuel wagering. Maryland licensing rules are different than Virginia's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    ... has to mean that they're not exactly hurting for funds.
    On that debt note.

I was very surprised to read in the Dec 2012 Steeplechase Times that the debt for the (ill fated) deal with NBC Universal Sports [for airing the Steeplechase Championship in 1999] is still being paid off. They aired live the Far Hills and Int'l Gold Cup meet just the one time. It was supposed to be a multi year broadcast deal but the costs for the one year killed it.

Further, because of that debt burden the NSA and could not offer streaming video of subsequent races. If Great Meadow had lots of extra funds I'm sure they would've explored streaming video on their own.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    On that debt note.

I was very surprised to read in the Dec 2012 Steeplechase Times that the debt for the (ill fated) deal with NBC Universal Sports [for airing the Steeplechase Championship in 1999] is still being paid off. They aired live the Far Hills and Int'l Gold Cup meet just the one time. It was supposed to be a multi year broadcast deal but the costs for the one year killed it.

Further, because of that debt burden the NSA and could not offer streaming video of subsequent races. If Great Meadow had lots of extra funds I'm sure they would've explored streaming video on their own.
    Well then maybe they shouldn't be paying rent for a Warrenton Main Street front office, as they have been for many years. I'm sure - unless they're getting some sort of serious rent break from Warrenton township or Fauquier County - that that Main Street office has to be costing them a bundle.

And for what? Selling t-shirts, sweatshirts, & tickets?

Is there a problem with the race meet having its own office??!
    I believe the former race chair, my long-time boss, owns the space.
    Furthermore, GREAT MEADOW and GOLD CUP are two distinct things. Great Meadow is a place. Gold Cup is an event. How come so surprised they have separate digs?
    Every single race meet in the nation has its own office space, if not notional at someone's home office or whatever. Iroquois, for one, most certainly does (in Tennessee); Percy Warner Park, the place the event is held, also has its own office.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
    Is there a problem with the race meet having its own office??!
    I believe the former race chair, my long-time boss, owns the space.
    Furthermore, GREAT MEADOW and GOLD CUP are two distinct things. Great Meadow is a place. Gold Cup is an event. How come so surprised they have separate digs?
    Every single race meet in the nation has its own office space, if not notional at someone's home office or whatever. Iroquois, for one, most certainly does (in Tennessee); Percy Warner Park, the place the event is held, also has its own office.
    Wow - calm down dear. I - & I'm sure many others - had no idea that the "former race chair" actually OWNS that retail space & thus can do with it what he likes.

I was just saying that LEASING a 365-day-per-year office on Main Street for one event seemed like a waste of funds for just selling tickets & Gold Cup apparel. But if the Gold Cup doesn't need those funds for the rest of their venue, all the more power to them.

I'm not sure, but he owns a ton of real estate in old town. I was assuming he did.
    The Gold Cup, and other race meets, don't exist to make money. They exist to make money for their charity.
    Of course if they rent the space for $xxx per year, that money could go to their charity, too. Maybe they can use office space at your house to save the dough. (wink)
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
    I'm not sure, but he owns a ton of real estate in old town. I was assuming he did.
    The Gold Cup, and other race meets, don't exist to make money. They exist to make money for their charity.
    Of course if they rent the space for $xxx per year, that money could go to their charity, too. Maybe they can use office space at your house to save the dough. (wink)
    Oh - so now you're "not sure"? And am not interested in hosting a Gold Cup office myself, but your lovely place looks fancy enough for them. Plus, you seem to be a real fan; maybe you should offer to save them some money for their charity. A little too snooty a crowd for me & my little place - lol! I think the Gold Cup gets enough publicity without the Main Street office/store. Frankly, they'd probably save a lot of dough with having a private office somewhere. But then, they "own" that office on Main Street. . . .

Um. I really have no idea what the issue is. I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm merely trying to defend a private entity for having a private office wherever they see fit.
    I write for the local newspaper (its my story quoted above), covering local horse sports for 25 years. My mom was Gold Cup ED for years, working in the race meet's other Main Street office.
    Needless to say, I have an personal attachment here.
    I'm so sorry you think of steeplechasing as snooty. It's actually the exact opposite.
    I'd love to take you some time -- I get press passes. Come with me - they start March 3.
    The meets' publicity does not emanate from the old town office - that is handled by a private firm in Middleburg. The Gold Cup office handles ticket sales, race organization, volunteer coordination, vendors, tents, etc. It's a huge year round job.
    Also, the benefits/$$ from pari-mutuel takeout does not go to the race office; it goes to the horsemen in the form of increased purses.

1 members found this post helpful.

Original Poster

No worries. Not trying to start a fight either. And I do know who you are. It's just that every time I'm in Warrenton, day or night, that "Gold Cup" shop is closed & it just seems like such a waste of cash.

And I don't think of steeplechasing itself as "snooty", just the "Gold Cup".

HR - just go to the end of your driveway and bang some pots and pans. That usually scares off the kooks.

For the record - that entity shares space with another entity, and the "office space on Main Street" is a tiny hole in the wall filled with some damn fine people. People who work pretty hard to bring us very fine races - races that are a logistical nightmare. Frankly, I don't know how they do it. But they do - every time. Very well. When they're closed it's because there is no reason to keep people in there, paying them, when there is no work to be done. But when it's time - that tiny office is as busy as a beehive.

Someone's been hittin' the sauce again, methinks.

I'm thrilled about wagering and I can't wait to place my bets.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

1 members found this post helpful.

Just curious, but has there been any activity thus far to promote the Gold Cup in light of the wagering aspect? Their twitter account isn't really adding value as one would expect.

Marketing, promotion and building up social media shouldn't occur just 30-days out.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

If I were there and betting, I'd put some money on Alfa Beat. Irv Naylor's done very well bringing second class Irish horses to the US and winning with them. Of course timber is very different from hurdles, but horse has ACTUALLY won something this year--the Grand National, and looks to have learned timber racing since he was imported. GN was only two weeks ago, though, so he might not have a lot in the tank for the Gold Cup.

Second choice would be Moonsox.

But I LOVE Justpourit's pedigree. He is not much of a racehorse, though.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Entries - Virginia Gold Cup 2013 Day

88th Virginia Gold Cup
    Great Meadow, The Plains

10 a.m. - Gates open
    11:30 a.m. - Terrier race exhibition
    12:30 p.m. - Tailgate contest
    12:45 p.m. - Junior Field Master Chase
    1:30 p.m. - The Infinitive Steeplethon
    2:10 p.m. - The BMW Chase
    2:50 p.m. - The M.C. Dean Chase
    3:30 p.m. - The Hogan Lovells Cup
    4:10 p.m. - The Virginia Gold Cup Timber Stakes
    4:50 p.m. - The United Airlines Maiden Claiming Hurdle

6:24 p.m. - The Kentucky Derby Post Time (live over PA, closed circuit TV and Jumbotrons)
    6:45 p.m. - Pari-mutuel betting stations close
    7 p.m. - Gates close

Justpourit it out.