The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Young Horse/Problem Horse Trainer

Hi Everyone.

Where would you recommend that a horse be sent for further training. The horse is coming 4 and was started by a VERY reputable individual, however upon being returned after 4 months of work i was not satisfied. Said horse is still having issues cantering around the ring without jamming on the breaks and bucking the rider off. Various professional riders have ridden this horse since arriving back and all are under the same conclusion that this horse just is not as far along as it should be.

All that said, where would you recommend the horse be sent for further training. If this was your horse, who would your ideal person be? Price and Location are not an issue. I would like the horse to be returned in about 3-6 months politely cantering around the ring, hopefully jumping around small courses and have begun getting lead changes.

The horse will need to be boarded in a stall and would prefer someone who can take the horse to a few horseshows if needed and ride around there.

The two people who have been recommended to me so far are Collen Mcquay and Colts Unlimited (Hillary Carel). Anyone have any experiences they would like to share about the two of them?

Jason Berry - VA

He does great with young horses and had the talent and patience to deal with one with a few issues.

1 members found this post helpful.

You have a PM.

Tiffany Catledge ,Allforit Farm,Middleburg ,Va. She is very good with young ,difficult horses.

Depending on where you are located, I have two trainers at my barn that both start horses and fix problem horses. Wonderful, wonderful trainers. Can't say enough good stuff about them. But they are in MN, so depending on where you are, it might be too far away. If you are still interested, I can pm you their contact info.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

My young horses go to Kobi Rhodes. I love that they turn out polite but loving their jobs http://kobisplace.net/aboutus.html The dark bay horse on this page is one I sent to him as a three year old. At four, I could ride him around WEF on the buckle and he had good ribbons in the baby greens.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    My young horses go to Kobi Rhodes. I love that they turn out polite but loving their jobs http://kobisplace.net/aboutus.html The dark bay horse on this page is one I sent to him as a three year old. At four, I could ride him around WEF on the buckle and he had good ribbons in the baby greens.
    French Kiss? He's adorable!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    French Kiss? He's adorable!
    Thank you, yes... French Kiss. Such a fun horse.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Look at Mindy Bower in Colorado. Lots of BNT's send their babies there to get ridden in western tack for starters and they come back ready to win a hunter classic. She teaches them impeccable manners too.

OP, can you provide a ballpark location you would be willing to send the horse to? That would help us responding to narrow down reasonable suggestions for you

I may be stating the obvious, but has a vet looked at the horse to ensure there is no physical reason for the behavior? I've ridden a lot of babies, and very, very few of them ever went through a "jam on the brakes and buck the rider off stage." Those who did were in the earliest stages of breaking (the first horse I ever started caught me by surprise in his 3rd ride and planted me. But never offered again) OR they were in pain.

If you haven't already, I would have a thorough lameness exam done before sending this youngster back out for training. Cover your bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 222orchids View Post
    Look at Mindy Bower in Colorado. Lots of BNT's send their babies there to get ridden in western tack for starters and they come back ready to win a hunter classic. She teaches them impeccable manners too.
    I did a clinic with Mindy and she helped me an incredible amount with my troublesome older horse. If I ever get a young one, i am MOST DEFINITELY going to her for help!

North Carolina - Brock & Leisha Griffith

http://www.brockgriffithhorsemanship.com/

Virginia- Dustin Craig
    www.WestWindEquine.com