The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

What kind of horse flies are some of you talking about? Don't most riders, especially top riders during a show, use some form of pest control? I seriously think this is bizarre. I can't imagine spurring my horse so much I scarred his sides. That is brutal. And if the spurs you are using cause such damage when a horse unseats you, maybe you should get ones with blunt, round ends.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    What kind of horse flies are some of you talking about? Don't most riders, especially top riders during a show, use some form of pest control?
    I'm talking about biting horse flies. They are not mosquitos and insect repellent is not effective on them. They actually bite out a small piece of flesh, and, yes, they are brutal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_Flies
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

This call was not made casually or carelessly. We have all seen abuse at home barns, in warm up and in the ring. It takes a lot of integrity and courage to step up and call it as you see it. I for one am hoping that this is the beginning of a trend that finally shuts down this blatant crap.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kachina View Post
    This call was not made casually or carelessly. We have all seen abuse at home barns, in warm up and in the ring. It takes a lot of integrity and courage to step up and call it as you see it. I for one am hoping that this is the beginning of a trend that finally shuts down this blatant crap.
    Bazinga!!! And I would have to see the evidence of a fly biting a horse in the spur area and drawing blood to believe that one. Not saying it can't happen, just that I'd have to see to believe.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

This thread would be a lot different if the rider involved represented another country. IT IS WHAT IT IS.

It would be a lot better if the FEI did not require riders to wear spurs. Then, those riders not able to control their spurs would be able to avoid injuring their horses.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    This thread would be a lot different if the rider involved represented another country. IT IS WHAT IT IS.

It would be a lot better if the FEI did not require riders to wear spurs.
    That would be a nice change. They may be all poo-poo about snaffles, but if they are going to come down on people for spur issues, then I imagine at some point someone is going to make a fuss that spurs be optional.

I think that spurs being mandatory at the FEI level is not the problem. There is not a lack of leg control causing these scars and drawing blood.

I have four pairs of spurs that I use in different situations. The only ones that can cause a mark are the smooth rowel spurs, I have done it once, it was a huge buck, did not draw blood, but I went back to the smoother, fatter spurs for a few months because the we were schooling changes and those huge bucks were not uncommon.

Well, I suppose the others could leave some hair breakage if dirty, but it has not been my experience.

This is a tough one. Bug? Spur? I am glad to see efforts are being made to protect against cruelness and unfortunately some will get penalized for an innocent situation. I am not sure what the answer is.

If there is blood on the horse, the rules call for elimination, and that's fine with me. I think we can even agree that there are ways that blood can occur in ways that aren't a result of abuse.

What does concern me here is that no one seems all that sure about where the blood was or whether there was a wound. In an era of smartphones, there is no need for uncertainty. The steward or judge can easily take a closeup of the affected area and then a larger shot for context to show where the blood was found, if necessary. Simple and to the point.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket