The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2011 Bates Innova with Cair

Found a terrific deal but am curious as to how you all feel about this saddle?Does it seem to fit most horses well?I don't like that it can't be reflocked....thoughts please.

I feel "locked" in when sitting in a Bates Innova and feel really ineffective :/

The one I tried was a couple years old, in good shape, and she was asking $700 I believe.

Hmm,I sat in one Saturday at a tack store and that's how it felt to me as well.I wonder though how it fits most horses?It's a super good deal,may just buy it to flip.

Definitely try it before you buy. I had one several years ago and it was heavy and felt like a jousting saddle. You are definitely locked in IMO. I sold it for $1200 and was glad to see it go. The interchangeable gullet was a PIA and not a fan of CAIR.

1 members found this post helpful.

I can get it for $800,used once....good flip maybe.I don't think I 'd like it for myself.Dreaming of a Custom or Hennig in the future.

Could maybe be a decent flip if the right person comes along. This saddle was popular in the early 2000s but the CAIR was a no go for a lot of people. Speaking of Hennig, my barnowner is getting a new one for a cool $6000. Hopefully you wouldn't get stuck with the Bates if you got it. Good luck.

1 members found this post helpful.

Lots of money for a Hennig,but a good investment.I'm going to pass on the Bates unless she take my $700 offer,in that case I can't go wrong flipping it.Thanks all!!

They actually do seem to fit a lot of horses, but of course you need to try before you buy. My very sensitive chestnut mare loves my Bates with Cair. The Cair panels feel hard when they are cold, but heat up quickly. You will feel that they are warm when you take it off the horse.

I personally don't love the fit & feel of any of the Bates saddles. But I'm living with mine for now, because my finicky horse approves and I can finally get some productive training done.

$800 is a pretty good deal for a 2011 Innova. Also, the interchangeable gullet was supposed to be made easier with the 2011 models. If it fits your horse and you don't hate it, it might be a good do-for-now saddle until you can afford that Hennig of your dreams.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince