The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Using FortiFlora to enhance cat food flavor/long term use safety?

How many people have tried this, and with what success? I have one cat that just doesn't like wet food and I have read here that there is at least one person who uses it as a flavor enhancer. I'd like to try it for her. My concern is that I have been reading where it is not suggested for more than 30 day use. Anyone know anything about this and/or use it without problem long term?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

The woman who has the catinfo.org site apparently uses it long term with no issues--that's the first place I'd ever seen it mentioned.

The only problem I could perhaps see using it longer than the label directs would be the vitamins, and Purina doesn't seem to publish data on just HOW much of those are present--they only say "Contains high levels of antioxidant Vitamins A, E, and C."

If you are very concerned, perhaps a call to them would give you the values for the vitamins, so you can decide if it's too much long term or if it's not an issue?

(Also, here is a rebate, should you try it: http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com...bateOffer.aspx)

I really can't speak for cats. i've been using FortiFlora for my dog for about 60 days though. I didn't realize it could be used for flavoring. Learn something new everyday!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

You know, sometimes I think I way over analyze things. I don't even know if it will work on the cat yet and I'm already worrying about using it for too long. How about I try it, see if it works, and then, if it does, worry about it?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1 members found this post helpful.

Vitamins A and E are fat-soluble and therefore stored in the liver. Too much of those can lead to liver toxicity. I'm not a vet, nor do I play one on tv, so I'd recommend you talk to your vet about the needs of your animal(s) and include exactly what you are feeding for nutritional assessment. That said, I fed Fortiflora for almost 3 months straight with no problem to my cat with massive IBD-ish symptoms. He now gets a (much) less expensive probiotic, NaturVet, every day which doesn't have anything besides enzymes and bacteria. It seems to be working as well, if not better, but it is unflavored (or at least non-odorous). IMHO, FF smells yummy.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Louise--Welcome to my world. I do the exact same thing.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

my dog and cats will scarf down any food with it sprinkled on top. It's useful when we are traveling and they might be a little stressed. I am not sure about long term but you don't have to use the full dose to flavor the food. I would say for the cats a packet will last 2-3 days. You can alwayss ask your vet and see. I figured since it was a probiotic that it couldn't hurt.

My dog's been on it about a year, one packet daily. Vet suggested it after the most recent of a series of stomach upsets. I didn't realize there was anything against it's long-term use.