The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lameness experts, who wants to pull up an armchair?

This horse has already been seen by the vet - with no conclusive diagnosis. Scored a .5 lameness on the LF, according to vet, which can be heard more than it can be seen when trotting straight on hard ground. A bit of the history:

Coming 11yo, barefoot. No previous soundness issues. Was said to possibly have been kicked in the shoulder (unsure which one)and lame for ~2-3 weeks back at the beginning of October, given enough time off (3, 4 weeks, max) to look sound and then put back to work. Maybe 3-4 weeks later, looks lame with what is said to be a "splint" when being brought in for dinner. Goes away, nothing the next day, no bump, no lameness, back to work. Fast forward another 3-4 weeks and horse is lame again, said to be head bobbing on the RF but works out of it about 90% after 10-15 minutes of trotting. This was about two weeks ago. The horse wasn't under my care during these months, so I'm only recounting what has been told to me, and at no point did they get the vet involved.

I picked her up last week and immediately had her seen by the vet. Upon closer inspection, her RF has a hard lump on the inside of the ankle, towards the front, that was not there when she left (vet thinks this is incidental). That same foot also has some weird issues going on with the outside heel contracting and inside toe running in/forward, almost like a pigeon toed foot (she is not pigeon toed at all). The other feet look poorly trimmed, but otherwise relatively "normal".

Any ideas, armchair lameness experts? Vet is at a loss, found no heat or swelling and no tenderness, flexed the LF and saw no change. No reaction to hoof testers on RF foot, and he also looked at her neck for possible soreness. This is not the vet I regularly use for lameness exams, but I was limited on time and couldn't arrange to haul out on short notice, so the scope of the exam was more limited than I'm used to. His suggestion, barring an expensive expedition trying to hunt down what is wrong, was to turn her out for a while and then if it doesn't improve, we can talk about diagnostics then.

I will happily get and post video, as soon as I have daylight - probably not until Saturday. My farrier will also be out Saturday to fix up the hack job on her feet.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Cool

First get a decent trim, then get her to someone who will use blocks to determine where the problem lies.

Other than those suggestions my ouija board is silent.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    First get a decent trim, then get her to someone who will use blocks to determine where the problem lies.

Other than those suggestions my ouija board is silent.
    You joke, but the animal communicator I talked to - before I ever knew I was going to end up taking her back - told me it's stemming from the SI area.

There isn't anything particularly wrong with the vet I used, he's the one I use for emergency calls... I'm just used to my regular vet, who does a very thorough examination of all 4 legs from top to bottom. I wish he wasn't so far away, I can't take the time off work right now.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson