The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I don't get the reference either, though if you love the name it shouldn't matter whether other people "get it."

I do however LOVE Okie Dokie! So cute!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I got it immediately. But even with out the reference it's a fun, simple name. If someone 'gets it' then I like the idea that it is a bit of an inside joke. makes you just think that you have a good horse you enjoy. Go for it.

Cant be worse than me trying to use Xanthos for my gelding who came off the track with a very bad low bow. No one knew that Xanthos was one of the immortal horses of Achilles (and a great tendon tie-in) but I didn't care. What stopped me cold was at the first schooling show when the announcer just butchered it so bad we ended up with Indian Summer and left it at that.

Easy to pronounce, gives a smile whether you get the reference or not, and it's not a common play on money so go for it and enjoy the smile each time it's announced.

1 members found this post helpful.

Stella, if its any consolation, I know who Xanthos was Ah, Classics.

Purp- Its your horse. Name it whatever you want. Most people aren't going to get the Friends reference ( I did) and if your ok with that, go for it.

My coming 4 year old is named Phoenix Promiscuous (barn name Piper). I suspect many people will think that's an odd and inappropriate name for an almost 40 married Mom to name her pony, but I think it's hilarious.

He's named that because his then 2yo Dad jumped a six foot fence out of his paddock, and his dam slipped through a pasture fence, they did the deed, and then THEY PUT THEMSELVES AWAY (including jumping back in over the six foot fence). Only evidence was some poop piles and hoof prints in odd places. But the morning after their midnight rendezvous, everybody was where they were supposed to be. The deed was discovered a month or two later when the mare had a pre-breeding check and was discovered to already be pregnant, and then all the pieces were put together.

Nobody will know the story unless they ask me, but I laugh every time I think of it. What's that line from Jurassic Park? Life will find a way?

Name him whatever you like. Just be prepared to tell the story a lot, and for people not to get it.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Nice bunch of responses to help me with the issue. Thanks to all!
    Sounds like he should just be Okie Dokie. I named him Okie Dokie in the middle of his test drive. It was my very first impression of him.

Glad to know that to earn T.I.P. points they don't need to carry on their JC name.

As for changing barn name. Well, apparently he was "Jack" with his racing group. Then the seller called him "Jackson" because she already had a Jack.
    He is sooooo not a Jack or a Jackson.

He's def an Okie.

p.s. I think Central Perk is a GREAT name for a mare.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I am late to this party but LOVE Okie Dokie. I would have said "know Friends, didn't get the reference, doesn't matter if you like the name." But Okie Dokie rocks. For what it's worth I had a horse with a show name no one "got" -- Django, named for famous jazz musician Django Rheinhardt. NO ONE got this name, and I showed for several years wincing as he was pronounced "DeJango"
    Sold the horse, and he was promptly renamed (no surprise). 6 months later, major motion picture comes out and EVERYONE is a "Django" expert. Go figure.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

I didn't get the reference until the post reminding me who Fun Bobby was, but I think its cute!!

Think of it this way...which name would you rather hear on the loudspeaker, and which one makes you smile more?

I agree with everyone who didn't get the reference but thought it was a cute name. My stock mare has the name As You Wish, and not everyone is a huge Princess Bride fan, but those that are get it right away and those that aren't or have never seen the movie still find it a cute name.

For my future tb, I changed her name to Fiddle Dee Dee for a few seconds (mostly because I like pop culture names for horses ... the only thing I like better than a pop culture name is a name with "The" in front of it *weird*), but she's not very Scarlet O'Hara-y (she is spoiled but not rotten!) and I don't think anyone got the reference even here in the Charleston area.

So now I simplified Mocha's to just Peppermint Mocha (her barn name is Mocha and she loves peppermints ... so lame). I got the idea in a McDonald's drive-thru, not going to lie.

It sure beats Estrokal, which sounds like menopause medication!!!

Anyway, the point is, if you have something pop culture-ish, make sure it can stand by itself so that if people don't get it you don't have to explain it.

I got the reference (agreed, naming the horse after an alcoholic who was not so fun afterwards is a little odd, lol), but I'm casting my vote for Okie Dokie. That's freakin' ADORABLE!
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

I am considering calling my 2013 foal "Hot Tub Time Machine" because it will make me smile when I need it to ...and the name has to start with an 'H'.
    Go with what you like!

Quote Originally Posted by clivers View Post
    I am considering calling my 2013 foal "Hot Tub Time Machine" because it will make me smile when I need it to ...and the name has to start with an 'H'.
    Go with what you like!
    LMAO.
    That's awesome.

There are currently 8 or so Okie Dokie's registered with the USEF and only one with the USEA [who is not currently competing]. Good deal!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Okie Dokie is cool. I liked Fun Bobby too, even though I didn't get the reference. I had a horse named "LandShark" a reference to a classic Saturday Night Live skit. Most people did not get the reference, but I'll never forget the person who walked up to the horse while I was mounted, made eye contact with me, patted the horse and said, "I'm just a dolphin, ma'am..." Hysterical. It's cool if only some get the reference as long, as others have said, as it stands alone well.

You could call him "Oakie Dokie" since his barn name is Oak. That might get you out of being Okie Dokie II or something on the USEA registration.

I got the Friend's reference pretty quickly and wasn't even a loyal watcher of the show. The name is cute enough to stand on its own, and I think it would feel kind of cool to have an inside joke that was mostly just between you and your horse

I didn't get it, but I don't think that takes away from it if you like it.

I thought I was so clever naming a Dutch X horse I had "Dutch Courage" and apparently nobody got that either.

Speaking of which, when I was younger I evented a horse (not mine) named "Sober Up." Along with Fun Bobby this is kind of a theme . . .

Well how about "Obscure Reference?"

I think that's cute. The thing is with such a name if you "get it" then it doesn't matter that much if other people don't. Personally, I would want a name that not everyone is going to get. But this one seems pretty obvious to me, and I thought whomever thought it up was pretty clever...

Tequila Mockingbird : )

Huge Friends fan here, and got the reference immediately.
    I think Fun Bobby is a very cute name, and I love Okie Dokey too.

I agree with what others have said, if you like the name, if it makes you smile, and if it reflects well on the horse, go for it.

He sounds like a nice guy, very best of luck with him.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by AzuWish View Post
    I agree with everyone who didn't get the reference but thought it was a cute name. My stock mare has the name As You Wish, and not everyone is a huge Princess Bride fan, but those that are get it right away and those that aren't or have never seen the movie still find it a cute name.

For my future tb, I changed her name to Fiddle Dee Dee for a few seconds (mostly because I like pop culture names for horses ... the only thing I like better than a pop culture name is a name with "The" in front of it *weird*), but she's not very Scarlet O'Hara-y (she is spoiled but not rotten!) and I don't think anyone got the reference even here in the Charleston area.

So now I simplified Mocha's to just Peppermint Mocha (her barn name is Mocha and she loves peppermints ... so lame). I got the idea in a McDonald's drive-thru, not going to lie.

It sure beats Estrokal, which sounds like menopause medication!!!

Anyway, the point is, if you have something pop culture-ish, make sure it can stand by itself so that if people don't get it you don't have to explain it.
    I did not get the Fun Bobby reference, but I am surprised at no one knowing Fiddle Dee Dee. I get As You Wish instantly but even if I didn't it is a nice name. Like Okie Dokie better than Fun Bobby, so am glad OP chose that.

BeamMeUp, no one got Dutch courage? Wow.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

I had Mothers Little Helper, and I am pretty sure that a lot of people did NOT get that (real) meaning. He was just that though, a connemara/TB that was chill thru and thru.

Name 'em what you want! If it brings a smile, all the better.
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

I got the reference and I think if you love it, then use it. I am a big fan of having show names that mean something to the person, and who cares if people get it or not. My mare is named for a type of character in a book I'm writing. No one knows what it means but me. So use what you love.
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/