The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Funny post # 42. I've come up with a show name that I love, but do you get it?

My newest project pony is a super duper cute OTTB. I posted about him when I first bought him...if anyone caught that thread.

His JC name is, Don't Jack With Me

All in all it could be worse. Though I HATE IT.
    1st: I don't like the meaning-- I prefer my horses to be very compliant + with that name at a show if you don't win then you are a big fat looser.
    2nd: it makes me think of masturbation or something. ewwww
    3rd: it's too long
    4th: it's not appropriate for a show hunter and I will certainly dabble in all disciplines with him

should I keep going?

anywho, I call him OK (Oak) as in OKie. He's OKie bred. And he tries so hard. Rather than saying "Don't Jack with Me", he says, "Okie Dokie".

Well, as I've gotten to know him--he's soooooo much fun. Especially out on XC when he has a nice adrenaline high. He's silly and goofy and tries really hard and does a great job. We always have a great time...with "Fun Bobby".

I am really am thinking hard about showing him as "Fun Bobby".

But I'm wondering how many people actually understand the reference.

I'm a fairly hardcore Friends fan. I still watch reruns all the time.

Do they have to go by their JC name for T.I.P.?
    Last edited by purplnurpl; Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

1 members found this post helpful.

I love " Fun Bobbie"....and not sure what TIP is....but I'm pretty sure if they're not racing they dont need to use it...Mine's JC is FlashandThunder....show name Jumpin' Jack Flash...( he's a jumper/eventer...fits him better )

Default No one will get it

I like Okie Dokie better.

2 members found this post helpful.

If you love the name then it doesn't matter if anyone gets it. I get why they named my boy his name, but really didn't like it. I asked if I could change it and I did. I love my boys name but nobody gets or can announce it at shows. I don't care b/c I love it and that is all that matters!!!!
    No Worries!

2 members found this post helpful.

It doesn't really matter if people don't get it (they probably wont). It will put a smile on your face to hear his name announced.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

3 members found this post helpful.

Sad to say, I did not get the reference. So you need to like the name just for itself, because of those of us out here who are to obuse to get it.
    Don't Worry About Hurting My Feelings Because I Guarantee You, Not One Bit Of My Self Esteem Is Tied Up In Your Acceptance.

I don't get the reference, but I thought it was a cute name. It sounds like a Thoroughbred name for people who didn't catch the joke.

In Canada you can show the horse under the name on their Passport, without changing the name on the breed registration. You just have to make the link for them, TB with THIS lip tattoo is registered as XXXXXX with Equine Canada. For everything except TB racing, EC is the governing body, so their record essentially rules. Lots of breed horses (Arabs, Morgans, QH) have a different name on their passport than their breed registry...EC just records the breed registry number with the new name.

Unless this changed in the past few years.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

I got the Friends reference, and don't get me wrong, I LOVE Friends, but "Fun Bobby" was an alcoholic... when he sobered up he was no longer "Fun Bobby". Name is cute, but not a reference I would want people to "get." But that's just me and *my* opinion. What matters is if *you* like it.
    You know you're a horse person when your mother, who has no grandchildren, gets cards addressed to Grandma, signed by the horses, cats, and dogs.

4 members found this post helpful.

I don't know whether or not they are announced under their JC number at TIP events, but you do have to show their papers and their JC name is tied to their reults. On the resuts page on the TIP website it has the horse's show name and then the JC name in parenthesis.

I know I've watched Friends....still didn't get it. But if you like the name, then that is all that matters.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

^^^ same, I watched friends, but did not get the reference! I have loved names that others did not like - I do not care, I liked it!

I got the reference, and I think you should name the horse whatever you please.

If you prefer something a little less controversial, there's always Marcel the Monkey.

I have no idea what "Fun Bobby" is, but name him whatever you want.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I LOVE Fun Bobby! Yeah sure he was an alcoholic and wasn't so fun once he sobered up, but I still love the name. Anything with a FRIENDS reference really And I second rizzodm, it will make you smile when you hear it. If I heard the name at a show I know it would make me smile!

I think for those who get it, they'll smile at the reference, and for those who don't, who cares, there are way weirder names out there that nobody gets

I get the reference (HUGE Friends fan here....), and if you like it, go for it. You don't need to keep the JC name for TIP.

I think Central Perk would be really cute. And I think more people would catch the reference (maybe not the younger set, but our age group would.)

Pick a name you love and go with it. End of the day, all that matters is if you like what the critter's nameplate/feed bin looks like, though it's helpful if at some point they start to know their own names.

All caveats though, that my horses for the most part just have one name for both barn and show. Too lazy to come up with something new, and I have a superstition about changing barn names, so unless it's really awful, they just get shown under it.

I think Okie Dokie is really cute. Fun Bobby wouldn't be my first choice. When you register them for TIP, it asks for the show name-- two of my three geldings are officially "Unnamed."

I didn't get the reference...

I LOVE Okie Dokie

Quote Originally Posted by PonyGal08 View Post
    I got the Friends reference, and don't get me wrong, I LOVE Friends, but "Fun Bobby" was an alcoholic... when he sobered up he was no longer "Fun Bobby".
    Now THAT'S funny.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I had to think a minute, but I got it - and it's a silly, goofy name, regardless of whether anyone gets it, so if that's how the horse makes you feel, go for it.