The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Untidy Rabbit View Post
    Untidy is just curious. That's all. Untidy didn't think that a horse could drink 3 buckets of water in a short period of time, but wanted to confirm.
    Then perhaps Untidy should have just asked the question on the other thread instead of starting a new thread to "debunk" a detail in another thread.

Or perhaps Untidy should find a hobby and stay away from COTH forever.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Then perhaps Untidy should have just asked the question on the other thread instead of starting a new thread to "debunk" a detail in another thread.

Or perhaps Untidy should find a hobby and stay away from COTH forever.
    Untidy thought about posting on the original thread, but Untidy didn't want to violate COTH protocol. Untidy saw that Meupatdoes was chastised for commenting on the original thread and not starting a spin off thread, so Untidy decided it would be best to start a new thread.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jlphilli View Post
    I'm not much for Wikipedia, but I am taking that coursera equine nutrition class through the Univ. of Edinburgh and the professor said that the average equine stomach is inelastic and has a capacity of 8 liters.

Either way, 4 gallons sounds like something you don't want a horse drinking all at once, even if they can...
    Exactly. And 3 full buckets 'drained?" No way could the horse's stomach empty that much water in a short time. The horse would have refluxed if it had been tubed into it. Much less would a horse swallow that much. And I didn't use wiki, I used veterinary textbooks and decades of owning horses and closely monitoring their water intake.

And what was up with people flaming meupatdoes on the other thread for mentioning the coth double standard? The internet is a place of, well Te'o is one instance of the internet.

Now I've never owned an elephant, but maybe one of those could "drain" 3 buckets of water, one right after the other. A horse? nope.

But I do think that horses need to have access to water 24/7. Now if occasionally a bucket or a water trough is empty, that's one thing. But wasn't there a thread where pintopiaffe did not have running water for her horses while she was a WEG?

I daresay it is "violating COTH protocol" to use an alter (or multiple alters talking to one another) to stir up micro-drama.

*smite*

OW!

Click here before you buy.

3 members found this post helpful.

Now we see why they are called wascally wabbits.

If you want to read arguments about a whole lot of nothing, COTH will never let you down!

Seriously, who has the time and motivation to set up emails accounts, and alters for this kind of stuff?

4 members found this post helpful.

1. size of bucket was never mentioned
    2. time to drain the bucket(s) was never mentioned
    (am I right so far?)
    3. amount buckets were actually filled was not mentioned
    4. size of horse mentioned?

SO we have four major clues left out. No way to really answer the question.

Yes, most of us use the 5 gallon buckets, I know I do. I also never fill them up to the top, otherwise my leg gets really wet. There are also some really cute little 3 gallon buckets out there. And big horses. And horses who may have problems with their pyloric valve not shutting, just like some people do, so maybe the water just goes right on through. Even if it shuts properly, nothing stays in the horse's stomach for all that long (15-20 minutes) probably less if it's just water. So if we don't have an answer to #2 (time) we still have nothing. Give a normal/large very thirsty horse an hour or two, I'm going to guess it could probably do this with three partially/mostly filled 5 gallon buckets.

Next question. Untidy would like to know if a horse can drink too much water.

Untidy hearts meupatdoes

I know this isn't a real thread asking a real question but I have seen horses drink three buckets of water after a race countless times. We don't let them drink that much in one swoop but they most likely would if we allowed them to. Granted, three buckets of water following a race means the trainer didn't do their job but that is another subject for a real thread.

Aw geez untidy wabbit, why you being so difficult? Yes, anything and anyone can drink too much water. It's not likely to happen but it's possible... the sudden influx of water into the bloodstream will dilute the plasma to a hypotonic state, which causes water to fill the red blood cells, which then burst open. Well, then the red blood cells can't really do their jobs real well. Oh, also other cells, like brain cells will burst open too. In the end, well it sometimes is the end. But most creatures have the good sense to know when to quit. MOST.

Tidy Wabbit doesn't heart meupatdoes because I don't know her that well. But I think she was right about the double standard altho I disagree with her about the water issue. I just think that if the situation is so bad that one has found her horse without water on more than one occasion, one should not leave her horse at that barn.

Horses need water in front of them 24/7, free choice, so they don't get dehydrated and colic.

And Untidy Rabbit, are you a male rabbit? If so, I might "heart" you.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpony66 View Post
    Aw geez untidy wabbit, why you being so difficult?
    No, no, I am Untidy Rabbit. Tidy Wabbit is a copy cat. I know the rabbits should stick together, but I'm highly offended that someone is attempting to gather fame and attention by using a play on my name.

Tidy Wabbit and I have never met.

3 members found this post helpful.

You have it wrong Tidy Wabbit. Meupatdoes believes that water is non negotiable. Are Wabbits near sighted, or just literacy challenged?

Quote Originally Posted by Untidy Rabbit View Post
    No, no, I am Untidy Rabbit. Tidy Wabbit is a copy cat. I know the rabbits should stick together, but I'm highly offended that someone is attempting to gather fame and attention by using a play on my name.

Tidy Wabbit and I have never met.
    Har har, I'm sure you're being intentionally ironic.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson