The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is it possible?

With the knowledge that a horse's stomach can hold up to 4 gallons of liquid, is it possible that a horse could drink 3 buckets of water in a short period of time?

Just curious.

1 members found this post helpful.

Perhaps because there is nothing in there that requires digestion. The water just rolls on through. But that is an awful lot of water, Were he seriously dehydrated I would prefer to see his consumption slowed down by spacing out his refills over several hours.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

The horse's stomach cannot empty 3 full buckets of water, say 4 or 5 gallons per bucket, fast enough to "drain three bucket of water" in a few minutes. Someone is exaggerating on another thread.

Unless, of course, someone is water boarding the horse. Or tubing. But who'd do that? Causes reflux.

We have a horse at our boarding barn right now that not only drains her bucket in her stall every night overnight, but when turned out to her pen in the morning drinks at least 1.5 buckets right away. I think the most she's ever drank in one sitting was a little over 2 buckets before she walked away. We simply fill her bucket, as she leans over the fence and drinks out of the running faucet, hold up the bucket to her to drain, then fill it and put it in her pen. She usually drinks about half the second bucket.
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Untidy Rabbit View Post
    With the knowledge that a horse's stomach can hold up to 4 gallons of liquid, is it possible that a horse could drink 3 buckets of water in a short period of time?

Just curious.
    Methinks you are not "just curious" and might just be trolling for info to use against BuddyRoo, especially given your post count and curious choice of name. Not to mention the appearance of YET ANOTHER new poster with a "tidy rabbit" name reference, tidy wabbit.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Methinks you are not "just curious" and might just be trolling for info to use against BuddyRoo, especially given your post count and curious choice of name. Not to mention the appearance of YET ANOTHER new poster with a "tidy rabbit" name reference, tidy wabbit.

Good catch! I didn't even notice
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

Yeah, new poster Untidy Rabbit is answered by also new poster "tidy wabbit"

Way to be creative and sneak under the radar...we almost didn't notice!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by Tif_Ann View Post
    Good catch! I didn't even notice
    Had I not just happened upon BR's thread, I'd not have known (or cared, nor do I really anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Tif_Ann View Post
    We have a horse at our boarding barn right now that not only drains her bucket in her stall every night overnight, but when turned out to her pen in the morning drinks at least 1.5 buckets right away. I think the most she's ever drank in one sitting was a little over 2 buckets before she walked away. We simply fill her bucket, as she leans over the fence and drinks out of the running faucet, hold up the bucket to her to drain, then fill it and put it in her pen. She usually drinks about half the second bucket.

I would be a wee-bit concerned about this horse , because that is not the normal horse behavior. Our cows can drink 5 gals plus at a time, but cows do that normally.

2 members found this post helpful.

someone link me to BuddyRoos thread...I'm lost!

I thought the average horse's stomach could only hold around 2 gal of liquid?
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    someone link me to BuddyRoos thread...I'm lost!
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ct-covers-this

Quote Originally Posted by jlphilli View Post
    I thought the average horse's stomach could only hold around 2 gal of liquid?
    My horse regularly drinks more than 2 gallons at once. Wikipedia (I know, not the best resource) says:

Horses have a relatively small stomach for their size, and this limits the amount of feed a horse can take in at one time. The average sized horse (800 to 1,200 pounds (360 to 540 kg)) has a stomach with a capacity of around 4 US gallons (15 L), and works best when it contains about 2 US gallons (7.6 L).
    That said, I have seen THIRSTY horses drink an alarming amount at once - I have seen them empty a 5 gallon bucket (granted these were large horses).

Same issue as Buddyroo - BO was NOT watering horses, I would come out, find very thirsty horses, that would chug down water as fast as you would let them (after seeing how thirsty they were, I started giving just a half bucket at first, then offered more water after that gulped that down). It can't be good to let them drink extreme amounts at once, but some horses WILL try.

Ahhh, yes...so do you think the OP in this case may be the sloppy barn worker who is leaving things unattended and is trying to muster up some support that says BRoo is crazy for being so concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    My horse regularly drinks more than 2 gallons at once. Wikipedia (I know, not the best resource) says:

That said, I have seen THIRSTY horses drink an alarming amount at once - I have seen them empty a 5 gallon bucket (granted these were large horses).

Same issue as Buddyroo - BO was NOT watering horses, I would come out, find very thirsty horses, that would chug down water as fast as you would let them (after seeing how thirsty they were, I started giving just a half bucket at first, then offered more water after that gulped that down). It can't be good to let them drink extreme amounts at once, but some horses WILL try.
    I'm not much for Wikipedia, but I am taking that coursera equine nutrition class through the Univ. of Edinburgh and the professor said that the average equine stomach is inelastic and has a capacity of 8 liters.

Either way, 4 gallons sounds like something you don't want a horse drinking all at once, even if they can...
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

i am so happy i keep my horses at home!
    i hate late night barn checks when it is 2 degrees outside, but reading this kind of thing makes it all worth it!

Untidy is just curious. That's all. Untidy didn't think that a horse could drink 3 buckets of water in a short period of time, but wanted to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post

I heart Heinz 57.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

May God smite me for participating in this trivial nonsense, but the OP in the other thread said the horse "drained 3 buckets". It did not say how big the buckets were or in what period of time they were drained--perhaps it was over a couple of hours. (unless it said something in more detail elsewhere)

Either way . . . is anyone really going to take an emphatic YES or NO from COTH and use that as gospel?
    Click here before you buy.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Either way . . . is anyone really going to take an emphatic YES or NO from COTH and use that as gospel?
    Perhaps Untidy does not NEED any more proof than a few anecdotes?