The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Cabarello, those are very cool, though not exactly what I pictured. These are the Dehners. One day, when I can afford custom schooling boots, I'll get a pair:

http://www.dehner.com/pics/largephot...hire_large.jpg
    Yes, I covet those too.

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    Try Blundstones.
    Yes! My guest blogger this week wrote about these. I love the way they look.

I love those dehners too!

I wear brown paddock boots and half chaps (Ariat boots, they've held up incredibly well, through mud rain about 6 years of general abuse, not ready to get new ones yet, just new insoles! My father in law wears ariat cowboy boots around his grain/cattle farm and he swears by them too).

I love brown! When I get back into showing I'd love a pair of brown tall boots too!

I have brown boots/half chaps because that's what the store had at the time
    It's harder to find stores that stock brown in adult sizes now, most only carry black. My helmet and boots clash a bit... but shhhh.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

1 members found this post helpful.

most of my students wear brown boots and any variety of half chap colors - brown, black, blue/black, blue, pink, brown/pink, etc depending on the age of the rider.

try a local consignment shop that has a variety of boots you can try out!

I know a lot of people who school in brown half chaps and paddock boots. Totally normal.

I school in brown Ariat paddock boots (not sure of the style) and matching Tredstep half chaps...found the paddock boots at a thrift store brand new for $40 so I snapped 'em up! Some of the girls at my show barn have asked why I chose brown (not to be rude, just curious) but nobody seems to care much. That said, I don't wear them away from the barn (even to schooling shows) - got my Donatellos for that.

I not only wear brown half chaps and boots when schooling, but I also have a lovely pair of brown field boots that I show in! I've gotten tons of comments on how nice they look, especially when I pair them with my brown coat. I have also been known to pair them with rust breeches!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

I wore the Ariat brown half chaps and Ariat brown paddock boots... like these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ariat-Cr...-/121057123811

They are really beautiful and even got complements on them from trainer that is really particular about your equipment.

I do find most boots to be pretty slim in the toe - I have paddle feet - very slim but some companies make wides....
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by HillnDale View Post
    Do many of you H/J people wear brown boots and half chaps for schooling? I'm pretty much already committed to it for when I start taking lessons in this discipline for the first time in 20yrs beginning next week. I'm just curious how common or uncommon it is and how people feel about it.

I'm also curious about a more rounded toe style for the paddock boots. I have long toes and long feet which causes pointed toes to be neither comfortable nor flattering (Why is there a fleet of canoes where my feet go?). Does anyone have good brown leather paddock recommendations? Extra credit for a rounder toe.

Also accepting brown 1/2 chaps recs at this time.
    My next pair of customs will be brown. I've been wanting them for quite some time. I think it's nice to have a choice between black or brown though if possible.

I only ever wear brown paddock boots and brown half chaps for schooling.

Mine are the lace up Grand Prix paddock boots and the Tredstep Deluxe half chaps. The browns match very well.

used to be paddock boots were always brown, now brown or black -it doesn't matter for schooling, however, sometimes smaller shows will allow 1/2 chaps and paddock boots (smooth grain 1/2 chaps) for showing - so if you have an inkling to show a bit then it might be wise to get black - as that way it would be better to show in

I school in brown half chaps and Ariat Terrains. I just bought a pair of Ariat Barnyard paddocks boots after 10+ years of Terrains and I like them a lot. I have wide feet and they give me plenty of room and no pointy toes to squish my feet.

The only problem with brown is that you cannot wear them in a pinch if you can't get your tall boots on or a zipper breaks or some such. Oh, and schooling pictures aren't quite as nice because they won't be mistaken for boots like some of the black combinations can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Chezzie View Post
    I recently, under duress, gave up my brown VELVET helmet.
    You did WHAT? I'm crying a little bit...
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post

You did WHAT? I'm crying a little bit...
    By "gave up" I mean put in my trunk to only be worn at horse shows with my brown coats. It's more like early retirement than death.

I love my brown boots! I lucked out on a pair of Der Dau's that I bought sight unseen from Manhattan Saddlery a few years ago when they had a spectacular sale. These boots get worn schooling, have been to clinics and go to shows too. When I really feel like going retro, they get paired with a beautiful old Pytchley that belonged to my grandmother. If you've got nice brown stuff, enjoy it!

I love brown boots and brown chaps!