The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fashion advice: wearing brown

Do many of you H/J people wear brown boots and half chaps for schooling? I'm pretty much already committed to it for when I start taking lessons in this discipline for the first time in 20yrs beginning next week. I'm just curious how common or uncommon it is and how people feel about it.

I'm also curious about a more rounded toe style for the paddock boots. I have long toes and long feet which causes pointed toes to be neither comfortable nor flattering (Why is there a fleet of canoes where my feet go?). Does anyone have good brown leather paddock recommendations? Extra credit for a rounder toe.

Also accepting brown 1/2 chaps recs at this time.
    Last edited by HillnDale; Jan. 29, 2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: omg was I drunk when I wrote that?
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

I haven't shown in ages so maybe it doesn't matter what I wear, but my Ariat paddock boots and Tredstep half chaps are brown, I love the color. I think my paddock boots are the Devon Pro model, they definitely have a rounded toe and are very comfortable.

1 members found this post helpful.

Not only do I wear brown, but my boots are Ariat Terrains. But then, I'm old and way past caring about anything other than being comfortable around the barn. I also have wide duck feet and it's pretty much impossible to find regular paddock boots that are comfortable.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HillnDale View Post
    Do many of you H/J people wear brown boots and half chaps for schooling? I'm pretty much already committed to it when I start taking lessons in this discipline for the first time in 20yrs next week. I'm just curious how common or uncommon it is and how people feel about it.

I'm also curious about a more rounded tow style for the paddock boots. I have long toes and long feet which causes pointed to toes to be neither comfortable more flattering (Why is there a fleet of canoes where my feet go?). Does anyone have good brown leather paddock recommendations? Extra credit for a rounder toe.

Also accepting brown 1/2 chaps recs at this time.
    I wear brown paddock boots and half chaps. I recently bought a new pair of black that look more like tall boots, but have worn brown for the past 6 years. For schooling attire, no one cares I'm sure. I simply prefer the tall boot look so I'm switching over.

As for rounded toe boots/boots with more room, Ariat makes one, but I am really liking the new ovation Aeros which is definitely way wider in the toe box than my ariats. I got them from Victory Canter for ~$90.

I have a pair of brown field boots that I use often for schooling (jumping, flatwork, and dressage) and I have received a few compliments.

I also occasionally wear a pair of US Army issue 1940 cavalry boots (russet brown, rounder toe, with three straps over the calves) for the same things.

I do need to get a brown helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    I also occasionally wear a pair of US Army issue 1940 cavalry boots (russet brown, rounder toe, with three straps over the calves) for the same things.
    Dehner still makes these. I've always wanted a pair.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Well I do not know about the fashion part, but I like brown.

I have a pair of Ariat Concord half chaps – and I really like them. They look sleek, fit closely, have held up well (3-4 years old now) and I get complements on them often (I bought mine on sale for around $80 from Dover). Mine are brown.

http://www.ariat.com/English/Men/Foo...ml?color=BLACK

And I wear them with a pair of Ariat Devon Pros – which are about 5 years old now. Have held up “okay” – the lining has really shredded, but I have put a lot of hours on them.

http://www.ariat.com/English/Women/F...olor=CHOCOLATE

Ariat also makes a ROUND TOE paddock boot that will match their half chaps.

http://www.ariat.com/English/Women/F...tageRtZip.html

BUT…. While I have the half chaps in brown, looks like they might make them in only black now. You might have to shop around online and find some in stock in brown.

Here are mine in action:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=b403277c4a

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=cf76ea35ca

(I DO have a brown CO helmet...)

I wear brown paddock boots, half chaps, and leather gloves to school every day. I recently, under duress, gave up my brown VELVET helmet. I secretly want a pair of brown boots to horse show in, but my newfound love of rubber reins is all my trainer can currently handle.

I really like Dublin's paddock boots. I can't speak to the fashion of brown, but I love my brown Dublin paddock boots and half chaps.

I have brown Ariat paddocks (old, from 2000 but probably worn to ride only about 100 times, alas) and brown Grand Prix Elite half-chaps. I obtained the latter from my local tack shop just last year and am very happy with them. Excellent quality full leather for <$100, they're a great deal!

I had what seem to now be called Ariat "Classic" half chaps & paddock boots in a gorgeous russet brown. Perfectly acceptable for schooling even in the most formal barn. Just don't forget a matching belt & brown gloves.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

For schooling and lessons, it's whichever you prefer! I've always liked brown boots and chaps, but I just don't wear much brown in day-to-day life. So my shirts, coats, purses, everything are mostly black or colors that complement black, therefore black paddock boots and chaps make more sense for me.

Thanks for the help - and love the cute Appy pic!

I wasn't happy with how my last pair of Ariat paddocks wore out, but they seem to have the right fit and style for me in a readily available product. I'm a bit annoyed there aren't more brown half chaps available. I love my fringe-y Pro Chap ones, but I'm not feeling them for my present Gone Cubbing inclinations.

Ok, so several of you bring up another good point: the helmet. I feel like with brown I would start to get a little matchy-matchy, no? I have a black CO, so I'm "on trend"' there Do you traditionalists feel that black is simply ick? I realize this couldn't matter any less but as I anticipate being fairly abysmal over fences, I may as well feel good about how I'm dressed.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I have a pair of Tredstep Giotto paddock boots that I love. They don't look it in the photos online, but they have a very rounded toe. I wear them with the matching Tredstep Deluxe half chaps in the same mocha brown and have been very happy with them: http://www.smartpakequine.com/tredst...aps-3216p.aspx
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I've never had anything other than brown paddock boots and half chaps, except for my winter boots, which are black because that was what was on sale Now I've got a pair of brown field boots that I've been wearing for both lessons/schooling and even to a show this fall, and gotten nothing but compliments on them.

Do you traditionalists feel that black is simply ick?
    To be strictly proper (per hunt turnout tradition) the helmet and boot color should generally match.

So I need a brown lid for cubbing next season. http://imageshack.us/a/img850/4954/mvhhunt9312b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Dehner still makes these. I've always wanted a pair.
    Here they are in action http://imageshack.us/a/img577/6315/rockypoint2.jpg

They haven't been cut down. That's how the Army designed them back in the late 30s.

Even in the show ring back in the day, your helmet, gloves, belt & boots would all match. So yes, brown helmet. But if it's just for schooling you could easily get away with a Troxel Sierra or something along those lines. They make two nice shades of brown.

Also worth noting that the rule at the shows BITD was, as in fox hunting, that brown is casual and black is formal. So it was OK to wear brown in the afternoon, but under the lights or in a big finals or stake or something you'd have gone Back To Black!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Cabarello, those are very cool, though not exactly what I pictured. These are the Dehners. One day, when I can afford custom schooling boots, I'll get a pair:

http://www.dehner.com/pics/largephot...hire_large.jpg
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I'm also curious about a more rounded toe style for the paddock boots. I have long toes and long feet which causes pointed toes to be neither comfortable nor flattering (Why is there a fleet of canoes where my feet go?). Does anyone have good brown leather paddock recommendations? Extra credit for a rounder toe.
    Try Blundstones.