The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Need a farrier rec. in SE PA

I currently am using a barefoot trimmer. I'm NOT happy with her. I've had issues with the way she does hooves since she started trimming my horse but I stupidly stuck with her because she had such glowing recommendations. She doesn't listen to a word I say, my gelding is lame, and her basic response is "oh well". I'm beyond frustrated.

The horse is a 15.1 QH gelding with navicular. Currently barefoot with excellent looking feet. But he is pretty uncomfortable, which is obviously not acceptable. I need a farrier that is good with corrective shoeing/trimming and willing to work off of x-rays and with a vet.

Feel free to PM. TIA.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Sent you a PM!

I use Justin Quaintance his father is Darren Quaintance both are excellent farriers. They are more than willing to work with vets which is really nice.

Let me know if you would like his number.

1 members found this post helpful.

Todd Meister of Chester County Farrier Associates is very good. He's a vet too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pussy Cat View Post
    Todd Meister of Chester County Farrier Associates is very good. He's a vet too.
    We used Todd for 4 years too long. At the time we had around 50 horses on the farm so he was here once a week. Yes, he is good but not nearly as good as he likes to think he is.
    I liked Todd as a person and enjoyed the banter which is good because he and his partners were here for hours each time. But I got tied of his pompous attitude. Especially got tied of him thinking he was doing me a favor. It was not like he was going out of his way to trim one horse from time to time. Our account was substantial. Nobody that I am writing a check to is doing me a favor. Especially large ones each week. He had little to no patients with our youngsters. And he is expensive.

Our horses are well schooled and all of the various vets and other farriers we have used over the years give nothing but compliments.

Yes, he graduated from vet school but never practiced. I never went to vet school but after years of working with horses and vets the only difference between me and a general practitioner is a piece of paper on the wall. Can’t believe I put up with his nonsense for as long as I did.

We parted ways and glad for it when he got in my face about canceling an appointment for the first time because I was off the farm and my wife was in bed with a massive migraine.

The next thing I know I get a large bill in the mail for horses that he says he did but never invoiced for. I said I need the names and dates of each horse which he could not provide. Even if he could I couldn’t really go back to owners of the horses that were either not here any more and or were sold. I told him he needs to get a better accountant. He started bad mouthing me around the “neighborhood”. I have a lot of friends in the horse business around here who told me. He got a very strongly worded letter from my attorney.

4 members found this post helpful.

Where in SE PA are you?

OP if you are in the Unionville, Cochranville, Honey Brook, Oxford area we have been using a great guy for a diverse population. Our sport vet Dr. Kevin Keane and others always compliment his work. He also had his own horses and has been riding and hunting all his life. Goes out of his way for people. No nonsense, no attitude, his rates are extremely fair. He has come by a number of times on short notice to replace a thrown shoe. 8 pm or 6 am with no complaints. Unlike our former farrier.
    PM with your location and number of horses and I will ask if he can take on a new client.
    He may or may not be the farrier for you. But worth a try.

Gumtree, I'm sorry our experiences are so different but I still stand by my recommendation of Todd. I am that one horse at a small boarding farm. My horse was lame with a pulse in both fronts after being shod by the farm's regular farrier (who I had been using for about a year). Dobbin's feet had gotten worse in the last few months but I had put it down to weather. This was the last straw and I called Todd on the recommendation of my trainer who uses him for all her competition horses. He was there within the hour and fixed the shoeing issue. Dobbin was back in work in a day or two.

I've been using him ever since and have never once been treated with anything but respect. He is only about $25 higher in price than the previous farrier. He is willing to come just for my horse and as long as he is inside I don't even need to be there. I usually try to be but with young kids it is nice to know I don't need to be.

For the record, I have heard good things about Kevin Keane too.

I use Lief Sybesma and I love him!! He worked very closely with my vet for my younger gelding. My horse was so much more comfortable even after his first shoeing with him. My older guy is barefoot but retired. He is extremely reliable and the one time my gelding lost his shoe he came out same day to replace it.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Anyone on here use Matt Plever?

Where in SE PA? If near the Lancaster area- Corey MacGuinness
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Pussy Cat View Post
    Gumtree, I'm sorry our experiences are so different but I still stand by my recommendation of Todd. I am that one horse at a small boarding farm. My horse was lame with a pulse in both fronts after being shod by the farm's regular farrier (who I had been using for about a year). Dobbin's feet had gotten worse in the last few months but I had put it down to weather. This was the last straw and I called Todd on the recommendation of my trainer who uses him for all her competition horses. He was there within the hour and fixed the shoeing issue. Dobbin was back in work in a day or two.

I've been using him ever since and have never once been treated with anything but respect. He is only about $25 higher in price than the previous farrier. He is willing to come just for my horse and as long as he is inside I don't even need to be there. I usually try to be but with young kids it is nice to know I don't need to be.

For the record, I have heard good things about Kevin Keane too.
    I did say that Todd was a good farrier. But not as good as he likes to think. Much better the most IMO. But in all fairness I’m probably not as good as I like to think I am. But I would like to believe I am not as pompous.

But one thing that is not lost on me and is completely lost on Todd is the fact that no one needs a horse. No one needs what I do or what he does. I never forget who’s writing the check to me and thank them. I know I am not doing them a favor.

If someone asked me should they use Todd I would have to say yes but with a caveat.

I will not use any service provider who thinks they are doing me a favor anymore. I won’t put up with the nonsense. I have a big farm, with a lot of overhead. I have to advertise, recruit, and kiss butt at times to get and keep clients. My service providers are handed these clients on a silver platter. I don’t ask nor expect kick backs.

The only overhead a farrier has is their truck. They have to do little to no advertising nor kiss butt.
    All I ask when I had them a check for $1,500 for a couple of hours of work, granted hard work at times, is a little gratitude and appreciation. Something that Todd in reflection never showed. I also got tired of his “by the book vet advise”. Most of which didn’t hold water and showed that he never worked with horses in the real world.

Dr. Keane is considered one of the best in the sport vet business. Not only around here but in the country. Great intuitive vet, he owns and rides his own Eventers, and a great guy to work with. Along with his partners. Doesn’t nickel and dime. A straight shooter.

I'm in Schwenksville/Limerick.

Thanks for the recs so far. Y'all rock.

I'm just so upset about my guy right now. I feel like I'm up against a wall. If I dump this trimmer I'm going to lose some great connections but I'm just NOT happy with what she is doing. I thought I was doing the right thing for him, picking a barefoot trimmer that would keep his feet in good shape, but it's just not working for him.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

TR Serio is one of the best in the area, hands down

I would highly recommend Todd (with the caveat that he's not the easiest to schedule and is pricy, but we've been nothing but pleased with his work) or Jim Salve (who is punctual, affordable, friendly and excellent in his craft).
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

My old barn in SE PA used Clay Hails and Leif Sybesma. I highly recommend either one of them. Both do excellent work, both are very nice, and both are extremely professional. Prices for both were reasonable--Clay did my horse and 4 regular shoes were about $100. Leif IIRC is about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by BaysofourLives View Post
    TR Serio is one of the best in the area, hands down
    TR Serio has a great reputation. He did a good job on my horses, but then declined to come out again because I only had two horses and he didn't think it was worth his time.

I would highly recommend Carl Smoker. He has been doing a wonderful job with my trainer's horses for years, charges are very reasonable, and I think he is actually based near Limerick. He doesn't mind coming out to the smaller places too, if that's your situation.

Gumtree....we agree on your assessment of Todd. Appreciate your candidness.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt