The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WWYD? Inject deep flexor sheath?

I have posted other threads on the issues I have faced with my guy but to sum it up.... Horse had swelling heat RH leg. U/S confirmed DDFT tear 25% above the fetlock. This was middle of November.

We did U/S every 6 weeks. Had his third about two weeks ago. His leg had looked great, super tight. "Warm" days (above 20 degrees) it was a little puffier but both legs were. He has been wrapped 24/7 stall rested and handwalked and now in saddle for about 40 mins.

He was much puffier in the tendon sheath right before last ultrasound but not when the vet came out. The vet said tendon looked great and he was cleared for turn out and to wean off wraps. Vet said if tendon sheath swells to leave wraps off and he would inject it.

So the tendon sheath is still swollen. On a real cold day it wasn't though. He is sound walk and trot both in hand and under saddle. I feel like injecting is not a great idea. What would you do? Should I get a second opinion? He is back in wraps for now., should I keep wrapping and give it time??

Thanks for any suggestions!

If it was my horse he would be turned out for at least 2 months and maybe as long as 6 more. As a farrier I have seen a lot of tendon and ligament damage on clients horses and many different approaches. As a horse owner for decades I have not been immune to the freak accident with tendon damage. What heals is time. Even the client's spending thousands to treat their race horse or dressage horse have no better luck then the back yard owner who simple turns the hose out for 6-9 months.

Thanks for the reply Endurance. I considering that but would like there to be no swelling before I just leave him alone. He is currently in a small paddock and doesn't move much more than in his stall since it's a cold, hard dirt paddock. Not much to do besides stand in front of his hay bucket. Anything bigger and he would run. He's an idiot and likes to show off. He's not to that stage of healing yet.

I would still appreciate input on the injecting if anyone has opinions good, bad or otherwise. My vet was so casual about it but it seems pretty invasive to me.

I'm curious for responses too. I'm 3 months in on a 10-15% DDFT tear above the fetlock. Hand walking was NOT going well (horse was getting rather high-- airs above the ground were becoming frequent), so a couple days ago I finally said screw it, and turned her out in a round pen sized area... firm ground. So far no swelling or heat has returned.

Anyways, I feel your pain, and I'm also anxious to hear responses. Such a frustrating injury.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

If the ultrasounds of the tendon look good and the horse is sound I would leave well enough alone, personally.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Dressage Diva- I feel your pain!!! My horse was very naughty for hand walking. We did about 8 airs above the grounds in a row when the vet was there for a second ultrasound. She wanted to see him trot. I told her it was a "wild" day (she has seen this horse do some crazy things) and she said let's try anyway. She said she had never seen anything like it, ran to grab the sedative and we tranqued him in the middle of the indoor lol. He has been sound and tendon looks great despite the shenanigans so I have been optimistic. My vet said this was "minor" tear so I'm guessing yours is too.

He did 10 days of methacarbonal (sp?) for something else and that made him into the happiest most normal horse! He is off that and is still calm so that is a plus!

Best of luck to you and your horse!

My youngster had two little DDFT tears discovered in September last year. He was on stall rest/hand walking for a month and then small paddock with an old gelding for 2 more months and now he's been out in the large pasture for 3.5 months so essentially six months off. He's just started back walking under saddle and will start trotting in a few weeks. Once he is ready to jump we'll u/s one more time just to make sure everything still looks good. I agree that giving them some extra time off after they have a clean u/s is a good idea. My guy had a clean u/s in December.

I wouldn't inject.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!