The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default USEF Rules Question: How Many Classes Can A Horse Be Entered In?

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a limit as to the amount of classes a horse can be entered in at a given show. For example, can a horse be ridden by one rider in crossrails, and then another for Beginner Eq, and then another rider in say, Working Hunters?

I have looked through the rules, but have not been able to find a direct rule.

Thanks in advance.
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

There is no limit on a technical perspective, but please be mindful of the amount of classes you put a horse in. Some are not built to handle that many classes in a day, and showing in both higher level and lower level means there will be a lot of waiting around to be done.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

1 members found this post helpful.

As long as the horse and rider pair meet a class description and there are no cross entry restrictions being violated I don't think there is a prescribed limit to the number of classes one can enter.

In your example, say the cross entry restriction for short stirrup is "the same horse rider combination may not cross enter into anything division competing over 2ft." Then the horse would be allowed to do a 2'3'' beginner equitation division with a different rider, but not the same one (however in that case the short stirrup rider could do the beginner eq on a different mount.) So theoretically, a horse probably could do a short stirrup division, a beginner eq divison, and the working hunters with three different riders at the same show (although that would be some of the weirdest cross entry I have seen.)

I've seen horses do a ton of classes at a show. I think that at a certain point management is allowed to step in if a horse is doing way too many classes at a bigger height (lets say someone at HITs has their horse in the level 4s, 5s, 6s, 7s, plus jr jumpers all in one day) but I've never heard of it actually happening. As far as I know there is no usef restriction, so I'm assuming it would fall to the management's discretion.

Also, just wondering out loud, possibly a judge could excuse a horse from the ring if the judge thinks the horse has done too much? Hopefully someone else will weigh in.

Unhappy

I don't think there is a rule limiting the number of classes a horse or pony can compete in, as long as they are eligible for the divisions entered. I think USEF assumes we will use good judgment.

I rode a horse when I was in the WTC years that was also taking a little girl through walk/trot. It may not be a lot of work on the horse, but in the flat when I went in, I heard the judge say, "Isn't that the horse we just saw in the last class? So sad.." And I'm pretty sure she pinned us low because of that. Some judges may hold grudges to that sort of thing, I know they shouldn't but they do.

I was watching a 'Ask the Judges' thing at a show and the judges admitted, "If we see someone doing something we don't like, we will remember it and probably not pin them as well. Whether it's beating your horse, or improperly working them." I thought this was quite interesting to admit to riders.
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

Thank you so much for getting back to me. At our local shows there are 1 or 2 trainers that have their horses in 3-4 divisions in one day with different riders. Our constitution states specific horse/rider combinations, but not on only the horse limitation.

There have been concerns at the show that this can be too much for the horses. During the summer we have pretty high temperatures and humidity, so I was wondering if there was a regulation about it, as we refer to USEF in case of questions.

Thanks again for the input!
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

There is no USEF rule about it, but a lot of shows are putting limits on # of classes in their prize lists. I have seen many shows limit the horse to 7 O/F classes on one day. That is up to the individual show.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie2337 View Post
    Thank you so much for getting back to me. At our local shows there are 1 or 2 trainers that have their horses in 3-4 divisions in one day with different riders. Our constitution states specific horse/rider combinations, but not on only the horse limitation.

There have been concerns at the show that this can be too much for the horses. During the summer we have pretty high temperatures and humidity, so I was wondering if there was a regulation about it, as we refer to USEF in case of questions.

Unfortunately there isn't really anything you can do. There are always going to be trainers who would rather get a lease fee from each rider showing their horse or who won't use common sense and good horsemanship...best you can do is stay very far away.

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    There is no USEF rule about it, but a lot of shows are putting limits on # of classes in their prize lists. I have seen many shows limit the horse to 7 O/F classes on one day. That is up to the individual show.
    Wow. Seven over fences classes in one day seems like a ton. I suppose if they were all crossrails it wouldn't be that bad, but I don't even like to do more than 3 o/f rounds in one day, and actually prefer 2, so I don't feel guilty about a warm-up.

As a one day schooling show manager, I do see horses go in a lot of classes. I've never had to limit it...yet. Our entries peter out by 2'3", so usually it's crossrails and 2', two round each.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I don't think there is a rule limiting the number of classes a horse or pony can compete in, as long as they are eligible for the divisions entered. I think USEF assumes we will use good judgment.
    That made me LOL! and ROTFLMAO! You would think that USEF would have learned long ago not to make such a broad assumption overall, not just about this issue!
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Back in the day when Appaloosas were truly versatile, many (youth in particular) rode in a bucketload of classes in one day. Age group: halter, showmanship, western eq, western pleasure, hunt seat eq, hunt seat pleasure, stakes, stumps, keyhole, reining, western riding, trail, rope race - and then some rode in some of those classes in the Open division. Some shows had fences classes, so some kids might have added those; and then ApHC added saddle seat eq & pleasure and some added them, too. And yes, sometimes the same horse did it all. Sometimes, they even did them all pretty well! That's what a versatile horse IS (oops, I mean WAS).

In the h/j ring, I'm thinking 16-20 classes might be a bit much in one day. But that also might depend on how much 'schooling' it takes.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I think so much would have to be taken into account. For example, horsey and I competed in 5 O/F courses, plus he did an O/F with a friend of mine. Horsey was more than fit enough, the classes ranged from 3'-3'3 well in the range of the horse (Eq. was 2'3). It was jumpers so the rounds weren't back to back, but were close enough together that we were always finished within a couple hours. If you think about lessons you usually do a bunch of courses along with warm up jumps. These were one day shows so he got the next day to hack around and loosen up his muscles.

In other cases I've seen people I know ride their horses in 2 or 3 classes a day at the horse's max height for a few days in a row, having worked them very little for the weeks leading up.

In terms of cross entering we have a barn round here that uses the same ponies/horses in the short-stirrup through novice (9 o/f and 3 flats a show) at a C show one day and then show again in the B show the next day. Same horses have won those divisions from C to A for years, they also go to almost every show!

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    I've seen a lot of this down here too at the non-rateds. The number varies depending on which show series you're talking about but it's definitely happening a lot.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Default I grew up showing App's

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    Back in the day when Appaloosas were truly versatile, many (youth in particular) rode in a bucketload of classes in one day. Age group: halter, showmanship, western eq, western pleasure, hunt seat eq, hunt seat pleasure, stakes, stumps, keyhole, reining, western riding, trail, rope race - and then some rode in some of those classes in the Open division. Some shows had fences classes, so some kids might have added those; and then ApHC added saddle seat eq & pleasure and some added them, too. And yes, sometimes the same horse did it all. Sometimes, they even did them all pretty well! That's what a versatile horse IS (oops, I mean WAS).

In the h/j ring, I'm thinking 16-20 classes might be a bit much in one day. But that also might depend on how much 'schooling' it takes.

Carol
    And at one show they even added Nez Pierce Steer Daubing... Left a roping chute and just had to touch the steer..
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

it is up to the trainer and horse owner to limit the class numers in the best interest of the horse IMHO - Last weekend we saw the same horse do 12 classes- 10 of which were jump classes. Another horse did 3 divisions -9 jump classes and 3 flat ..poor horse. If a show puts all the 2'6 classes on one day - some one has to be the voice of reason and say "enough is enough".
    RIP Triple Take (aka Indiana )

" some one has to be the voice of reason and say "enough is enough".

I've seen some horses make this decision for themself and dump the rider at a show...

If you, as an exhibitor, feel a horse is doing too many classes in a day, go to the Steward. One of the reasons they are there is to monitor horse welfare. I know for a fact that some show offices also notice when a horse is entered in a ton of classes/divisions, and will notify the steward (esp. when the weather is super hot).

Dana
    Friends don't let friends ride junk!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie2337 View Post

It may be time to change your constitution and limit the number of OF classes in which a horse can be entered, irrespective of who's riding it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb