The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gooseneck Jack Breaking - Anyone Familiar w/ This?

Last week something broke inside of the gooseneck jack. It was a situation where I went to unhitch the trailer, and the crank arm wouldn't work to lower the drop-down leg.

At the trailer shop they said the bearing broke. But since then, two people told me that you should never crank the jack all the way up (when you are hitching up), because you can accidentally overcrank it and break it when you are unhitching.

Please COTHer's fill me in on this. I don't know if this is what actually broke the jack, but I want to know the details for the future. thanks.

Any mechanical device can break. If it's not regularly cleaned and lubricated it can break more often or sooner. Why yours broke is an unknown until somebody looks at the parts and gives an opinion.

I crank jacks up enough to unhitch. I don't go "to the stops" as there is no reason to do so. If you do then, yes, you run the risk of "over stressing" the mechanism.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

What brand jack is it?

It is a Ram jack.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I found a picture of one. It looks like the top will come off, and you should be able to see what's broken. I'd bet it's a weld, and not a gear. It might be possible to get someone to weld it if all the grease can be removed fairly easily. If it's hard to get into, or the grease can't be removed fairly easily, it'll cost as much to fix that one as getting a new replacement. I couldn't find parts, or an exploded view anywhere.