The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Weather just doesn't quit

Weather service has issued some really scary warnings for tonight for parts of the Mid-South. 30 mph sustained winds, possible tornadoes, straight line winds, and large hail. It's been 70 here, and this is a "spring" storm with all that implies in the way of tornadoes. Got to go to the barn and do some work on the roof today in the hopes that it will stay in place. Storm direction is the usual one for tornadoes in my personal tornado alley.

If this is global warming, what can I personally do to make it GO AWAY? (Rhetorical question)
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I don't have much to add other than to say I hear ya!!!! These weather patterns are crazy!!!!

I'm a bit further south than you, vineyridge. Its not supposed to be quite as bad on the coast, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get a few nasty storms in the area. Typical spring storm, although it seems to be a bit early this year. I saw the yellow haze of pollen on my car last week!

Yesterday in eastern Kansas we hit 74 degrees. It "cooled" to 64 overnight and we were under a tornado watch til 3:00 today. Poured rain all day, temp dropped to 36 by 4:00pm, fog settled in and 1"-3" snow are forecast for overnight. So 24 hours we had spring, summer and winter weather.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

yep, thunderstorms in Cleveland tonight...in January! Supposed to be 62 tomorrow, then a high of 25 on thursday....holy weather colic batman!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

It blew through here about 6:30 am. Tornado warnings, high winds, but no damage that I can see. Be safe!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Here, it is a balmy -33°C, which is somewhere around -30 in real degrees. Monday, it was 30°F. .
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

vineyridge-

Didn't know you were in Clarksdale! I am in Starkville, MS. Most of our weather seemed to hit around 4:30AM. Hope all is well there

We had 5" of snow last night and the highways are a sheet of ice, "traveling is discouraged".

I-40, that I can see from my house 2+ miles away, must be closed, there is no traffic there.
    Ok, just starting to see some brave, maybe foolish trucks creeping by, maybe 30 m/h at most in one direction, the other is probably blocked by some wreck.

It was 11F here this morning, horses bucking and playing and feeling very good in the cold.

Thunderstorms in a couple of hours, snow tonight. Generator, heaters fueled. Yee-haw!

Up-to-the-minute lightning strikes: http://thunderstorm.vaisala.com/explorer_files/lts-image.jpg?foo=1193947649046

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

We don't have anything that exciting but the torrential downpour that's been going on for two days now is just gross. It's been like this all winter save for a couple of weeks where temps dropped and things looked more like the arctic tundra. I've lived here for 22 years now and I can't recall a time when it rained like this. Seattle has the rep for super rainy winters but it used to be mostly limited to a light drizzle. This seems to be the new normal unfortunately. Yeehaw global warming!