The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default Snow boots that are nice enough for street but hold up to the barn?

A beautiful year-old German Shepherd who shall remain nameless ate an enormous hole in my nearly-brand-new and rather expensive winter boots yesterday. She was not sorry. Her father (my roommate) immediately offered to replace them; problem is I can't find the same kind online.

So: I am looking for knee-high, WARM, waterproof, good traction (we have ice more often than we have significant snow,) relatively lightweight, and nice enough that they can cross over to street wear. I've already hit Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, Land's End, REI, Zappo's, DSW, and Cabela's. I have a few on the short list, but none as perfect as my late lamented and apparently delicious pair. Where else do I look?

(On a side note, I think the dog has a shoe fetish. She's only eaten 3 things- a corner of a rug, my new pair of heels, and these boots. Maybe I ought to ask for recommendations on dog booties so she can eat her own.)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

The obvious answer to me would be Dubarrys with wool socks, and you can wear 'em in the rain in the summer too. They're wool lined so not super cold on their own-- and you can pop a shearling insole in to keep them warmer, too.

Been wearing mine all winter since 2004...

check Sierra Trading Post, they have a wide selection of snow boots at really good prices.

I have these and I LOVE them: http://www.sorel.com/Women%E2%80%99s...efault,pd.html Super warm, durable, surprisingly light, comfortable... I wear them "out" in the real world when it's chilly and sloppy, and they cross over for barnwork just fine when it's frigid out. I just avoid wearing them in the mud!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I would love Dubarry boots, but they are priced rather beyond replacement value for mine.

KPF- great suggestion, thanks!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I like my Sorels a lot, but I won't wear them to the barn... don't want them that dirty.

I just got Hunter wellies and the wellie warmers to go with them as well. I have actually been wearing those all winter instead of my Sorels; they're warm enough with the warmers (and I can still add another layer of socks if it's really cold, or the toe-warmer packs), and I don't mind taking them to the barn because I can just hose them off and they look brand new.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I would love Dubarry boots, but they are priced rather beyond replacement value for mine.

KPF- great suggestion, thanks!
    I might suggest the Ovation Ainsley, which is a very comparable knockoff of the Dubarry Clare. Of course, still more than $100.

Under $100, I am very loyal to my LLBean 8" boots. Not mid calf, however.

I will never buy sorels again, even though I used to swear by them. They do NOT stand up to wet then dry very well - have had three crack in the same place, store took them back, they leaked and were useless.

On the other hand, i have some version of these (in styling blue and black) http://www.muckbootsandshoes.com/ind...&product_id=38 and they have held up to Montana winters AND (with some hosing off) I can wear them in to work. They would be fine for heavy stall work but I don't do it it in them as I do wear them as street boots as well. I wear them whenI will be several hours in the snow, hauling hay, etc.and htey have been wonderful. Gave my mom a knee high pair and she lives in them. Only wear on pair of socks with them and my feet do not sweat. And they are comfortable and have fabulous traction. They slide on and off easily - just could not say enough great things about them! The tall ones were about $139.