The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How long would you give this? 9lb chi mix sick.

Pup is about 5 months old, had all his shots. Was wormed, has been healthy as can be. He weighs around 9ish lbs. Was fine this weekend, we crated him for a time on Sunday. My daughter found an old Kong and filled it with peanut butter for his crate time. I found a Kong for my other dog and looked inside it, it had nasty old peanut butter stuck in there. VERY old and nasty. That one went into the dishwasher but I didn't think to look at the one the pup had. Monday during the day he vomited about 4 times and he had the runs. He was fed Monday morning but not Monday night. Today, this morning, he still has the runs and he vomited in his crate sometime during the night. (Doesn't have the runs so bad that he went in his crate though) Didn't feed him this morning. Had to go to work today, pup is in his crate with clean blankets so we will know if he got sick. Planning on giving him a tiny bit of hamburger and rice tonight. Bigger dog wouldn't worry me so much- but do these little ones go downhill much quicker? He's happy and wants to play, not acting sick....Hopefully his belly is settling today and his crate will be clean this afternoon...
    Doesn't help that back in August we had to put our 10 year old JRT mix down for symptoms that started as vomiting (liver failure), so my daughter is very worried of course.
    Kerri

Is he running a fever?

Does he seem to be drinking? I would be most concerned about dehydration.

If he is running a fever or the vomiting persists today, I would get him in and checked out after work tonight. Can anyone check on him today during the day?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I didn't check temp, didn't really think of it since he wasn't lethargic....should have.....
    He's been drinking and he wants to eat.
    No one can check on him until about 3:30.
    Kerri

I'm not a vet nor do I play one on TV.

If I were in your shoes and he was drinking well, wasn't running a fever, activity level was normal, he had been fasted for 24 hours, was not vomiting anymore and he was interested in food, I would give him a small portion of his normal food tonight, wait about an hour and if no vomiting, give him a little more.

The PB may have been too much for him. He may have gotten into something else. He may have had a little virus. It's hard to say. But if he's doing well when you get home, I wouldn't be too awful worried.

If he wasn't drinking or the vomiting continued I would take him in if for no other purpose than to make sure he was staying hydrated. If he vomits the food tonight or has loose stools, I would probably take him in. They may want to do some blood work, a fecal, etc.

You're right in that the little guys (dogs and cats) can get dehydrated very quickly. I wouldn't be too worried about no food for a day or two, but water is the biggie. (really for any critter, but for the little ones even more so.)

Jingling for your pup!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by kasjordan View Post
    I didn't check temp, didn't really think of it since he wasn't lethargic....should have.....
    He's been drinking and he wants to eat.
    No one can check on him until about 3:30.
    I am definitely not a vet, but I have had a dog that had issues after eating peanut butter (with diarrhea). For a little guy I would be most concerned with dehydration. I'd probably put a call in to the vet just to see what circumstances they'd want to see him in.

if you actually filled the entire kong up with peanut butter and the little dog ate it all I'm not surprised he's sick. That's a LOT of peanut butter- for a little dog like that, a teaspoon sized amount is more appropriate.

as to the vet, well, if he seems happy and healthy and is rapidly improving, I'd say you don't have to go.

It was a pretty small kong (about 3 inches tall) and I saw her putting about 4 TBLSPNS of peanut butter in it. He doesn't get people food ever either, so his belly isn't used to anything but Blue Buffalo food. With the occasional treat here and there. I'm hoping that's what it is and I see improvement tonight.
    Kerri

For diarrhea and dehydration, standard home management is boiled chicken & rice or canned pumpkin. I've never used hamburger and rice; hamburger might be too fatty.

My father's 5lb Chi is very sensitive to dietary changes. My 8lb guy appears to have a cast iron stomach. Woohoo! I try to maintain that by permitting a variety of treats in training. My 18lb dude is sensitive (vomit and NQR stools), I believe, due to an extremely controlled diet thanks to food allergies.

We've always boiled hamburger and rice...? I think boiling it makes it not fatty..... I have some canned pumpkin but am thinking of adding a bit of that when he gets back to being able to try a little of his normal food. I'll have to remember to feed a bigger variety of treats once in awhile to get their bellies a bit more used to things- they'll appreciate that I'm sure ;-)
    Kerri

I would almost want to weight out what 4 tablespoons of peanut butter comes to. You said the dog only weights 9 pounds. I do believe that it was 3.75 tablespoons too much. He has a good constitution for wanting to get rid of what the body could not process. (That's is A LOT of protein). I dont think I but that much on my PB&J sammies.

If he isn't seeming normal when you go home, I would suggest getting him seen

pancreatitis can be induced by a sudden increase in fat.

like peanut butter.

pancreatitis can kill a dog.

9# is a really little dog who probably doesn't have a ton of reserve.

I'd get him in now.

2 members found this post helpful.

but he's had his PB in the Kong before, right? Occasional cheese snacks/ect?

FWIW-it looks like that was about 32 grams of fat.

If he has had fatty snacks before I think I would do my usual-pull the food and offer only water, maybe no-salt broth flavored water, and give it a day or two *IF* he will drink. I would happily make it rice and boiled burger/chicken SOUP but I don't do real meals until they start to dry up.

I can tell you that I would be thinking whoops maybe not so much PB in a dirty Kong next time but wouldn't be running for the vet. But I would be watching very closely... I've never had a dog with pancreatitis and our dogs eat all kinds of crazy things. I've had my garbage gut dogs get a few days of stomach ache and just pulled the food and switched to water.

signed,
    experienced non-worrying dog owner but NOT A VET.

ETA I don't think I would give it another full day though-if he wasn't better in the morning as in no vomit overnight, I have to say I'd take him in sometime tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    pancreatitis can be induced by a sudden increase in fat.

like peanut butter.

pancreatitis can kill a dog.

9# is a really little dog who probably doesn't have a ton of reserve.

I'd get him in now.
    This. It was my first thought reading the first post.

With puppies it can be intestinal/worms/or any number of things. For sure go to the vet if it does not change within a day. They have special food, and will give two kinds for pills to prevent more diarrhea/etc.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

even if he has had PB before, this time could be a triggering factor, tipping him over into pancreatitis. It could be a different brand, a different amount (even 1/2 tsp is considerably different for a 9# dog) or perhaps he got into something that already had his pancreas inflammed and this tipped it over.

OP, you do what you think is right for your dog, but if he were mine, he would be at the vet with these symptoms.

How is the little guy?
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

"How long would I give this??" ZERO TIME. Jesus Christ - why the heck hasn't this poor pup been to the vet yet???? It's sick & you're looking for advice on a horse board???? Open your wallet & take the poor thing to your vet asap. Small dogs in particular can go beyond help very quickly. Good effn grief. How sad for the dog that you're cruising for help on COTH instead of at your vet's.

The pill box speaks!

The pup was better that night and is fully and completely recovered.

Go find someone else to gripe at Bacardi.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    The pill box speaks!

The pup was better that night and is fully and completely recovered.

Go find someone else to gripe at Bacardi.
    I just went back & read through the entire thread. I must be missing something. Where did the OP post back that the "pup is better & is fully and completely recovered"? Honestly - I'm not seeing it, & apologize if it's my fault that I'm somehow missing it on this thread.

In fact, a post just a couple of hours before mine is asking about how he's doing. Please point me to where the OP has said the dog is "fully & completely recovered".

Edited to add: I just went completely through this thread again & the OP definitely has NOT posted back that the dog has "fully & completely recovered".

I don't know what your problem with me is "cowboymom"; can't recall any personal gripes here on COTH; but I suggest you put the wine glass down & perhaps engage your brain before you post something insulting that has no basis in fact.