The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trying to help a friend rehome 3 legged dog that she rescued from a trap.

This is an email I recently got from a friend of mine (who was also our realtor if you notice the references to home sales). I thought I would check on here to see if anyone in the SC/GA area was interested. This woman is a saint to animals so thought I would help her out. I can email pictures of the pup (very cute btw) to anyone interested. Also will delete this immediately if its not legal in this area.

Yes, I do believe your house was waiting for you. Would love to meet you for lunch, but I'm swamped right now. Could I have a raincheck? Had the grands all weekend, then 3 appointments and closing today, 3 appointsments tomorrow, wrote an offer tonight, ads to write, and animals to "manage". I say "manage" because I brought my mom's siamese cat (she needs a home) to my house (other cat was bullying her) and am nursing a 3-legged-dog back to health. Had to have my huskie put down. Just about did me in. Found a wonderful young female dog injured from a beaver trap. She (Lucy) lost her leg, but after about $1700 in vet bills she's healthy and ready for adoption, spayed, all shots. Keep your ears open for a good home for her. Attached are before and after photos.

Glad you all are happy. Makes my job worthwhile.
    Last edited by TwoBrooksFarm; Jan. 29, 2013 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Forgot to add email

I'm too far away to help, just wanted to say what a kind thing to do. That's some great karma right there.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

This woman has a guaranteed spot in heaven of you ask me. She is a wildlife photographer on the side and is one of those people that I'm sure could make a coyote friendly. She rehabs and rehomes several animals each year but has never tried to rehome one that was missing a limb. She told me on the phone that the pup (Lucy) doesn't even miss it but she's worried folks won't even take her into consideration.

Pictures, we need pictures! I'd be happy to share on facebook, I have a lot of rescue connections.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I'm not a premium member so can't post pictures but I'd be happy to email them to anyone.

See if she can contact the local news media, with a short story about the danger of leg traps/rescuing a dog caught in one and now ready for a home. Those stories seem to generate a bunch of people all clamoring to adopt the dog in the story.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'll pass the suggestion along. That's a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBrooksFarm View Post
    I'm not a premium member so can't post pictures but I'd be happy to email them to anyone.
    Just put them on a free site like photobucket and then put the link in your message.

Christa

I'm waiting on her to send the pictures in a way my smartphone can save them and I've just gotten a photobucket account set up and ready for them. So with that I can say pictures coming soon. :-)

Okay one picture did load properly on my phone the other two have not though so here is the one I have. Will load more as they come in...

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...m/IMG_0661.jpg
    Last edited by TwoBrooksFarm; Jan. 30, 2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Wrong url...

What's the dogs general location?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Oh man, she has the same shape face as my girl, who coincidentally was from Okefenokee Humane Society (found her through petfinder)!
    Too bad I'm far away and not in a position to acquire any more animals at this point!

Fergie

Here are more pics...
    She is in Wagener, SC.

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...DogCloseUp.jpg
    Here is a photo of her when my friend first spotted her... The before picture
    http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...IMG_0554-1.jpg
    http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...m/IMG_0649.jpg
    As you see she doesn't miss that leg at all. :-)
    http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...m/IMG_6881.jpg

Fergie looks like he/she is lovin life! Too cute!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBrooksFarm View Post
    Fergie looks like he/she is lovin life! Too cute!
    By the next day, that bed was shredded, haha. But yeah, she's got the good life here. It's funny the resemblance between the two!

Oh No! She looks so innocent. Ah well I guess we don't know what sin that bed committed that may have required destruction. :-) I personally have a bed shredderthat weighs less than 6 lbs and yet can make mince meat out of a bed that size.

Youch-a back leg even-I've only ever seen front let trap injuries!

She's a pretty sweet-looking dog... I hope she finds something, how much trouble can a 3 legged dog be?

When I was growing up our family dog had a back leg caught in a trap. (40 years ago) She went missing for several days and we had given up seaching for her when she suddenly appeared. Happy ending...she went on to live many many years with 3 legs after the vet took care of her. Vet medicine was not what it is today but she came through it. It's amazing how well they can adapt. Never slowed her down one bit.
    Sounds like this is a very lucky dog indeed!