The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    A pharmacist (call a local pharmacy) would cheerfully and competently be able to answer this question for you.
    ^ x2

I know that Ranitidine is light sensitive, but my guess is it would have to be exposed for a good amount of time. I am not sure about water sensitivity.

If you are having feeding issues, I would recommend what I do if you don't mind filling your house with white dust (lol). I grind my horses daily doses into snack baggies using a electronic herb grinder: 10 pills (or whatever dose) + 1 lifesaver peppermint (these because they don't melt like the starlight peppermints). I then put all of the baggies into a larger bag and wrap it in foil. This is in the feed room at his barn. I also have a majorly picky eater.

ETA: If you're rolling in money, you can order the Ranitidine dose pre-ground with peppermint. But since I'm not, I do it manually.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by jlphilli View Post
    ^ x2

I know that Ranitidine is light sensitive, but my guess is it would have to be exposed for a good amount of time. I am not sure about water sensitivity.

If you are having feeding issues, I would recommend what I do if you don't mind filling your house with white dust (lol). I grind my horses daily doses into snack baggies using a electronic herb grinder: 10 pills (or whatever dose) + 1 lifesaver peppermint (these because they don't melt like the starlight peppermints). I then put all of the baggies into a larger bag and wrap it in foil. This is in the feed room at his barn. I also have a majorly picky eater.

ETA: If you're rolling in money, you can order the Ranitidine dose pre-ground with peppermint. But since I'm not, I do it manually.
    dissolve
    That is unless you are heating the powder up to whatever the melting point of ranitidine is, as opposed to dissolving it in water (or the water present in applesauce). I also maintain that the Wicked Witch did not melt...
    The Evil Chem Prof

1 members found this post helpful.

Ya'll need to calculate based on PRICE/MILLIGRAM to cost compare. All these "I get 250 pills for $10" does nothing to help cost comparison.

For example:

I can get 100, 300 mg pills from my vet for $9.18

That is 30,000 milligrams for $9.18

The cost per milligram is $0.0003

So, do the math to see what kind of "deal" you're getting.

This means that if I am feeding 3600 mg twice daily, it costs me $1.08 each serving, and a total of $2.16 per day to administer Ranitidine.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    dissolve
    That is unless you are heating the powder up to whatever the melting point of ranitidine is, as opposed to dissolving it in water (or the water present in applesauce). I also maintain that the Wicked Witch did not melt...
    No, I meant melt. The starlight peppermints melt in high heat (in the summer) causing the powder mix to turn into "gunk," where the lifesaver ones do not have this effect. I believe it's the corn syrup.

(I feed it in powder form...)
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

@Suckerfor horses - I commenced my calculations with the qualifier that it assumed the same amount of ranitidine per pill.

@jlphhill - ah, you don't want it to melt. Sorry! The whole melt/dissolve thing is one of my pet peeves, being an Evil Chem Prof and all.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Ya'll need to calculate based on PRICE/MILLIGRAM to cost compare. All these "I get 250 pills for $10" does nothing to help cost comparison.

For example:

I can get 100, 300 mg pills from my vet for $9.18

That is 30,000 milligrams for $9.18

The cost per milligram is $0.0003

So, do the math to see what kind of "deal" you're getting.

This means that if I am feeding 3600 mg twice daily, it costs me $1.08 each serving, and a total of $2.16 per day to administer Ranitidine.
    Well, as I posted, I get 250 pills each containing 300mg of ranitidine for $10...

250 x 300mg = 75,000mg
    $10/75,000mg = $.0001333/mg
    One 3600mg dose costs $.47988
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

My horse gets 10, 300mg pills a day and it's pretty cheap from SmartPak (with an Rx)---your vet can just send an Rx with endless refills. It's only $67.90 for two 250ct bottles. Doesn't seem terrible in price. I used to get it $60 for two bottles when my trainer was my vet, so not a huge price increase---and of course the autoship from SmartPak is awesome!
    Assuming the pills in the 250 count bottle are 300 mg this isn't too bad of a deal.

500 pills, 300 mg each = 150,000 milligrams for $67.90

$67.90 / 150,000 = $0.00045 per milligram

Horse is getting 3000 mg per day, which equates to $1.35 per day

Does anyone know if SmartPak will price match the vet's price?

Assuming the pills in the 250 count bottle are 300 mg this isn't too bad of a deal.

500 pills, 300 mg each = 150,000 milligrams for $67.90

$67.90 / 150,000 = $0.00045 per milligram

Horse is getting 3000 mg per day, which equates to $1.35 per day
    Yes, they are 300mg pills (250ct) bottles.

Yes, they are 300mg pills (250ct) bottles.
    Their powder is expensive though, the peppermint is double the cost per milligram if you go that route! Crazy! (for the 3600 mg dose twice daily anyways)

I just asked...they wont' price match the vet.

Their powder is expensive though, the peppermint is double the cost per milligram if you go that route! Crazy! (for the 3600 mg dose twice daily anyways)
    Yeah, that's why I grind up the pills and add the peppermints myself

I should consider myself lucky...I can toss in 10-12 WHOLE pills, and my mare eats them!

I started by grinding them in my food processor and mixing the powder in with her alfalfa mash, and she ate it. So I did this until I needed my food processor back in my house, and just tossed in whole pills...and was ELATED when she ate them! No more griding for me! I'm sure if I didn't give them in a mash of alfalfa they would easily be tossed aside, though.

Yeah I tried that at one point too. Didn't happen for me! He won't even eat the powder alone. Bleh.

My pills are also 300 mg. So, I paid $35/693 pills x 1 pill/300 mg x 1000 mg/g = $0.168/g. That's Costco. Non-member. Including sales tax.

Since my horse was getting 3.3 g/dose, that comes out to $0.554/dose or $1.66/day for three doses per day.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Birmingham area, AL... i.e. crispy crunchy everything land!

So how many of you guys grind your pills and how many of you just toss them in? I bought this little hand-grinder that I wouldn't need power for down in the barn, and it is the pits. I have to grind too many by hand and have been lazy (my bad) and haven't gotten a coffee grinder (because I don't drink coffee). I am going to see if the prince of picky will eat them in whole form when mixed into his beep mash slopped on top of his ultium... If not, I suppose I'll have to give in and go buy a $15 coffee grinder from Walmart.

Side question: Can ranitidine ever be fed once daily in high enough dosing like omeprazole? When I was dosing with the expensive omeprazole from the vet, I fed it once a day in the morning. The compounded stuff ran about $100 for the month, but if you did Gastroguard or UlcerGuard, it was EXPENSIVE. I ask because one of my boarders may become a co-op boarder, and I am trying to minimize the complexity of the feeding routine.
    When life throws you lemons, put on your best Asian accent and scream "Faaack yuuuu Rehmooohns!" (says yours truly, the half-Japanese kid )

My Pony Blog Dressage & My Horsey Life

You save money with the ranitidine by virtue of dosing three times a day. We used a mortar and pestle to do the grinding. SmartPak and others sell a pill-crusher that is quite efficient.

My experience with the electric coffee/spice grinders is that the powder kills them, sooner or later.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by ClassynIvansMom View Post

Side question: Can ranitidine ever be fed once daily in high enough dosing like omeprazole?
    Once a day treatment is not likely to be effective for treating ulcers. The drug is just cleared too fast. Some horses may be okay on a once a day dosing schedule for maintenance, but the bulk are really going to need it at least twice daily.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassynIvansMom View Post
    So how many of you guys grind your pills and how many of you just toss them in?
    I started grinding, then decided to try it one day without, just tossed them in, and he never batted an eye. And that was in about 3c (dry) beet pulp, soaked, with his regular supps

If not, I suppose I'll have to give in and go buy a $15 coffee grinder from Walmart.
    Get a cheaper pill grinder

Side question: Can ranitidine ever be fed once daily in high enough dosing like omeprazole?
    Apples to oranges. Ranitidine works how it works; ome works how it works. Ranitidine lasts for about 8 hours (hence the 3x/day, every 8-ish hours dosing), and doubling the dose doesn't make it last 16 hours

Since horses produce acid nearly non-stop (as opposed to humans who mostly pump out acid when we eat) I'd say once-daily ranitidine would be a little bit like spitting in the ocean.
    Click here before you buy.

Birmingham area, AL... i.e. crispy crunchy everything land!

Ok ok, I get the message, ranitidine can't be dosed the same as omeprazole. Point taken, I understood after the first person responded with the explanation. No dead horses need any beating here.

I wonder if I can buy it more cheaply at Sam's Club than Walmart...
    When life throws you lemons, put on your best Asian accent and scream "Faaack yuuuu Rehmooohns!" (says yours truly, the half-Japanese kid )

My Pony Blog Dressage & My Horsey Life