The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default From Boarder to Barn Manager... crazy horse people!

I will start this by saying that my BO and I ended up laughing about this whole ordeal this evening, so no real damage has been done

I board at a very low-key barn, have been for the last 4 years. A couple months ago we got in a new boarder who came with a bit of a reputation for being 'nosy' and overstepping her place, and being asked to leave barn after barn. At first I noticed that she just wanted to add a lot of things to the barn to enhance it-paint the stalls, add in a kitchenette (??) etc etc. It never much bothered me and I tried to ignore it, until today!

The short story is: I get a text at work, from the boarder, letting me know that I need to take home my stuff from the tack area because the owner wants me too - and when I said I would get to it next month (the next time I could get there unfortunately!) and she responded with 'Oh so you're moving?' As in- if you don't move it they're kicking you out! (I have a feeling she is looking to open up space for her kitchenette!)

I had some doubt that this was true- so I emailed our BO and he was floored! And that none of what she said had any truth and couldn't figure out where she came up with this craziness!

Needless to say- pony and I are staying put, BO was excited he got to yell at someone and he didn't have to 'sugar coat' it (his words!), AND most importantly, Crazy Boarder has been told she has 30 days to show she has some restraint in not being a self-imposed Barn Manager or she's out!

I guess I was due for a dose of crazy- I've been out of a show barn drama for 4 years so I was due a big helping!

9 members found this post helpful.

I am confused how a boarder was even given the idea they are allowed to do things like paint and install a kitchenette.

Glad the BO is willing to stand up and be the BO.

4 members found this post helpful.

Oh boy. I think you're going to have fodder for some interesting posts in the next couple of weeks!! Glad to see you've got a sense of humour about this and please keep us updated.

1 members found this post helpful.

Not unbelievable but pretty darn amusing!

It's pretty amazing the type of people you come across in the horse world.

I find the situation more funny than harmful but certainly annoying if you had to deal with her on a daily basis.

The next step is when you find out that she really wants the kitchenette because she's been living in the ceiling above the tack room for a few months now...
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

33 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I am confused how a boarder was even given the idea they are allowed to do things like paint and install a kitchenette.

That's the thing- she isn't allowed to do any of this stuff! She just keeps talking about it and pestering other boarders to get on her side so we can all go to BO together and say he should do it!

She really just needs her own barn where she can do as she pleases,
    but until then it's just entertainment for us!!

Do keep us updated, this sounds like an interesting train wreck in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post

Quote Originally Posted by roamingnome View Post
    That's the thing- she isn't allowed to do any of this stuff! She just keeps talking about it and pestering other boarders to get on her side so we can all go to BO together and say he should do it!

She really just needs her own barn where she can do as she pleases,
    but until then it's just entertainment for us!!
    O boy she is a loon. I assumed she was going to pay for those things herself. Paying for improvements out of one's own pocket after seeking permission is one thing but demanding the BO pay for them?
    On top if it she flat out lies to you and brings the BO's name into it. Can't believe she didn't get sent on her way, your BO must be very patient.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    The next step is when you find out that she really wants the kitchenette because she's been living in the ceiling above the tack room for a few months now...
    !

We are a full service barn with experienced grooms whom I completely trust 100% to do things correctly. Before I got smart and started screening potential boarders, I accepted a young lady that I had known a little in passing. Within a day of moving in, she had staked out a space where we kept a few brooms and shovels. Moved everything out, set it up as a grooming stall and plastered flyers on everyone's stall about her grooming services -- clipping, mane pulling, braiding etc. -- the whole nine yards. Needless to say hers was the shortest-lived business ever!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by roamingnome View Post
    A couple months ago we got in a new boarder who came with a bit of a reputation for being 'nosy' and overstepping her place, and being asked to leave barn after barn.
    Why on earth would a BO even take this person in????
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post
    My thoughts exactly!!

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post
    98% of the time he's a very hands-off BO, we've had a wonderful couple who was managing the barn the whole time I've been boarding there- and everything went thru them. We're currently waiting the arrival of the new BM's, so he's taken over the role for the moment.
    Crazy Boarder was warned by both the former BM and the BO that nothing would be tolerated, as they had heard about her past shenanigans, but gave her a chance.

When I was BM at a barn I had a boarder ask me to use the tractor and move a river that was adjacent to the pasture. The river flooded a bit when we had some tropical storms and this boarders horse loved to roll in the mud. She wanted me to dig a new path for the river to move it so her horse would stop rolling.

Nothing surprises me anymore. I'm glad your boarder was given boundaries!

11 members found this post helpful.

OMG. That's all I have to say. That's all I CAN say. OMG
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    When I was BM at a barn I had a boarder ask me to use the tractor and move a river that was adjacent to the pasture. The river flooded a bit when we had some tropical storms and this boarders horse loved to roll in the mud. She wanted me to dig a new path for the river to move it so her horse would stop rolling.

What the heck....

Oh my gosh, this made me bust out laughing!

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    Hmm. I think I would like the tree line to the west of my horse's pasture cut down so that he has an unobstructed view of the sunset.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    You owe me another keyboard

2 members found this post helpful.

Move the river. Wow.

I'm in a barn that has full-care and self-care, which are two separate barns. In full-care, what you see is what you get. In self-care, if people want to make "enhancements" on their own dime they ask the BO and she usually says it's fine. I don't think she would allow a kitchenette, though, due to the fire hazard.

We have a couple college guys in self-care who like to suggest things that are significant costs that the BO would have to pay and for which there could be ongoing expenses (like lights for the enclosed outdoor, or landscaping for the open outdoor). On more than one occasion I have said "No way, I don't want my board to go up!" in response to their ideas. It's like they don't realize that the money that pays for things around the farm comes from their (and my) board.