The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse scene in Indianapolis, Indiana

What is it like? Is there any? Spouse on the job hunt again. FYI, I freakin hate snow and cold weather..not looking favorably at this location myself, but not really my choice.
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/

We have a little bit of everything here horse wise. There are tons of trails within two hours of Indy if that's something you enjoy. We have some really good trainers in pretty much every discipline.

It's a nice city to live in/near. There's a little bit of everything here. You can live in suburbia or even the country if you don't mind a small commute 30-45 minutes will put you in the country). Cost of living is fairly low.

We do have cold, but winters aren't terrible most years and the bulk of the snow is really only Jan-beginning of March.

Feel free to PM me with questions. I've lived in Indy most of my life.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love Indy! It's a great city. It does get cold, but you get used to it after a while...lol! You should PM LAZ, she is an eventing trainer in Sheridan. She knows a lot of the stables in the area.

Indy used to be called India-no-place because it was once considered nowhere. When I lived there in the mid '80s it started to boom and now is a really nice place to live, lots to do. Indiana is also a great State to live in, people are generally really friendly. I know LAZ is up there, Nad Noon teaches around Indy and Bloomington. The Hoosier Horse Park is in Edinburgh, Indiana not super far from Indy. It's midwestern. Weather can suck in the winter but not like Minnesota where I lived as a kid.

Default Thanks for the input

I am dreading leaving the heart of area 2 where ulrs are around every corner and I have too many choices during the show season. We have built our own little eventing haven here and I am sad to think of leaving it just when it s really gaining ground.

Default indy rocks! sorta...

Its not that bad here There are opportunities, you just have to look a bit harder for them. We have upper level riders and instructors in eventing, dressage and HJ all witin a few hours. LAZ puts on super clinics and hosts an event camp in the summer. The Hoosier Horse Park is really close and the Kentucky Horse Park isnt that far away. The weather here does kinda suck... hot summers and cold winters, but you get used to it, and so do the horses. Like mentioned in previous replies, you can have a nice farm out in the country and still be within 30-45 minutes of downtown. Hope you find somewhere you and your horses can be happy!

Default bayrunfarm

Can you send me a personal e-mail at clshrs3@aol.com. The new COTH format does not run on either of my browsers so I can't send you a PT :-(

I am just really sad about the culture shock. I have BNT's 45 minutes from me :-( and a plethora of schooling shows of many kinds within that distance. I almost never drive an hour to go anywhere. sigh....

I grew up in Indianapolis and later lived in Charlottesville for 5 years, so I understand your pain! Not many more idyllic horse places in the US than central VA. Honestly, though, there are a lot worse places you can move than Indianapolis. The winters are slightly longer than in VA, but it's not like the upper midwest where you have 6 months of winter. It does NOT snow that much. Just a few times a year, but it sticks. The summers are about the same as VA. There is horse stuff. It's more H/J-esque than eventing, but you do at least have the Hoosier Horse Park, and while it's a drive, the thrill of doing XC at the Kentucky Horse Park on the same fields where Rolex takes place is something you will never forget.

Other bonuses of Indianapolis include a low cost of living, friendly people, not too too much traffic for a big city, and a revitalized downtown with shopping, shows, etc. I would try to avoid living in the outer suburbs like Noblesville if you can, though, it's pretty dreary there. Look at the near northside, Broad Ripple to Nora etc, for close to civilization but still only 30-45 min to plenty of horse stuff. Or if you have means and want to live in the country, Zionsville is very nice and still within commuting distance of town, depending on what your work situation is.

Quote Originally Posted by mellsmom View Post
    I almost never drive an hour to go anywhere. sigh....

Driving in those wide-open corn fields is a lot easier, fwiw. Look south of the city so you are close to HHP & KHP.

There is more than corn in Indiana

There have recently been a lot of top clinics. IEA has sponsored Wofford & Becky Holder just recently; LAZ has the creme at her camps, and a lot of adult fun. She just had Sharon White there this fall. Chris Ruysen comes to work with the event/jumpers crowd. The dressage society sponsors clinics and has a rash of schooling and rec shows. http://www.indianadressage.org/IDSSponsoredShows.html
    http://www.indianadressage.org/Education.html

I can't say as much about the IEA website it doesn't show the past yrs schedule that well for you to be able to see what the yr was like. Maybe look at AreaVIII.

KHP is 3+ hrs away if you live on the E/SE. It's 2+ hrs to NE Louisville's eventing mecca. And it's all interstate travel. And it's easy going around Indy on 465 (the Letterman Bypass as Dave likes to joke about it). HHP is south of Indy off the interstate, it is a lovely facility to show out of, clinics are held there and unrec shows (& the dressage) too, xc schooling is available. And IEA runs two 3Days (N & T) Further on down I65 is Brown County, the horseman's camp is a real treat. South of Blgtn is The Charles Deam Wilderness area and the state forrests with 100s of miles of deep woods and trails.

Chicago/OH is all interstate access. and the hauling is flat (a time and gas saver). It's not the heart of VA but we manage to amp it up every yr. Will you be looking for at home acreage or boarding?
    Last edited by pony grandma; Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Default I would love a small farm

I think:-)
    I have 10.5 acres here and a fairly big house (sigh). I have spent the last 5 years building this place. I have a 90 x 200 sand outdoor arena with lights. Cute 3 stall shedrow barn with awesome galley style tack room and small hay storage area. Second hay storage area by the house. We are 45 minutes from where we work now. Would love slightly closer if possible.

Should have an idea in the next two weeks if it's going to happen. Drama drama drama.... sigh

Well the great news is that in Indiana, your money will go a lot farther. So you should definitely be able to build a very nice farm for yourself! The horse scene will not be as great as in Charlottesville, but there are so many pluses to living in Indy that it really shouldn't be that bad of a transition for you. I live in the Bay Area now, and would move back to Indy in a second if I had the chance. SF is cool and beautiful, but you can't beat the good ol' friendly midwest and the cheap cost of living!

I would also recommend living in Zionsville if you have the means. It is beautiful and still very close to downtown.

Well, in Indiana we generally don't have fires, riots, mudslides, hurricanes or other natural disasters. We do have a period of hot, humid weather and a (generally short lived) period of snow/ice.

We tend to be a friendly bunch, and though you will have to travel further than you do in Area II we have access to wonderful, well run, events.

I host multiple schooling events here on my farm north of Indy, plus two 4 day event camps and clinics with top trainers multiple times per year. Leslie Law will be here for a total of 10 days in 2013.

The north side has lots of horse places, but I believe is the most expensive. I think most sides of town can get downtown in 30-45 minutes.

If you want any further info that I can help you with, feel free to contact me-I can give you names for barns on all sides of town.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Can't say I'm sorry to hear you're potentially moving closer. Will be fun to run into you at events. :-) I'm a couple hours east of Indy so not much help in the whole "how is Indy" question beyond what's already been mentioned.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I think:-)
    I have 10.5 acres here and a fairly big house (sigh). I have spent the last 5 years building this place. I have a 90 x 200 sand outdoor arena with lights. Cute 3 stall shedrow barn with awesome galley style tack room and small hay storage area. Second hay storage area by the house. We are 45 minutes from where we work now. Would love slightly closer if possible.

Should have an idea in the next two weeks if it's going to happen. Drama drama drama.... sigh
    Frankly, if you have all that in VA, you ought to be able to find/build it here too. You could probably build yourself a pretty decent indoor arena too if you wanted to. Cost of living is comparatively pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by candysgirl View Post
    Frankly, if you have all that in VA, you ought to be able to find/build it here too. You could probably build yourself a pretty decent indoor arena too if you wanted to. Cost of living is comparatively pretty cheap.
    We're down in the southern tip of the state and affordability is a huge plus, I doubt we could afford our place in one of the meccas like Virginia. We have to drive a bit, but it's not nearly as bad as some of our western brethern, now those guys have some real distance issues.

I should have included Michigan - they have some lovely HTs up there.

And oh if you're coming to Indiana, bring some cold beers - you'll make friends!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Default Sadly, I've been pricing places in Indiana

and I won't be able to buy what I have already. Sad isn't it :-( I'm in between Richmond and Charlottesville, right off the interstate.
    Most people around here are underwater on their loans if they bought anywhere near the bubble. We were at the beginning of it and have put in HUGE improvements. Selling the house here will be a hellatious nightmare.
    tle- if it comes to fruition we will have to hang out for sure.
    Does anyone have a good recommendation for real estate agent in the area that knows horse properties? Would like a name just in case this all happens.
    LAZ, I have heard some good thinks about LL so it would be fun to come watch. I am without a ride these days.

and I won't be able to buy what I have already. Sad isn't it :-( I'm in between Richmond and Charlottesville, right off the interstate.
    Most people around here are underwater on their loans if they bought anywhere near the bubble. We were at the beginning of it and have put in HUGE improvements. Selling the house here will be a hellatious nightmare.
    tle- if it comes to fruition we will have to hang out for sure.
    Does anyone have a good recommendation for real estate agent in the area that knows horse properties? Would like a name just in case this all happens.
    LAZ, I have heard some good thinks about LL so it would be fun to come watch. I am without a ride these days.
    My best friend's husband just so happens to be one. I'll PM you his info!

I'm resurrecting this thread in the hopes all the IN people can give me some advice as to boarding places near Bloomington. I'm also considering relocation to that area and would like to find out what the options are. I'm excited to be close to the HHP!