The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

When I taught I was an "independent contractor."
    Meaning I taught lessons, and did my own taxes each year.
    I also paid for my own liability insurance although it was through the same company as the farm and kind of "tacked on" to the farm policy.

Since I had alot of beginners, the hour lesson was grooming, tacking up, a half hour to forty minutes riding and then untacking and grooming.

My lessons would sometimes run over so of have a kid untacking and a kid tacking up.

If they could get ready on their own then they had an hour lesson.

And sure I would feed or school a horse or two while I was there but it certainly wasn't required. Get everything in writing. Every task should have a fee fixed to it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone. On their job listing the range of pay varies from 25-30k a year. I was just wondering how to negotiate in that ball range and was wondering what made them decide on how much to pay.

@clanter: thanks for the suggestion but I am positive that the horse industry is where I'm steering my life right now. I have been involved in the professional industry as a groom and am certain of where I'd like to go in my career, for now. (Not that it won't change in 15 years).

@Snugglerug: you figured out what I was thinking, on how much would be a salary I could actually live off of. I've done some spread sheets and I think I've got everything on there. I haven't included health insurance yet, which is a very important point. I'm on my parents' health insurance right now. I'm very worried about coming off their plan as I had/have some medical problems right now that are hard to get insured.

I would also like to start a savings plan this next year and do a bit of investment with my father's help. I think that 2,200-2,500 would be doable, as a starting monthly salary.

Does anyone here live in New Orleans or know of any tools that could help me find out cost of living there? I think awhile back I saw a webpage on this site that gave cost-of-living and salary ranges of various zip codes?

Quote Originally Posted by Papyruse View Post
    I think so far I will be asking for minimum wage, around 7.25-7.50 and hour.
    I would also like to start a savings plan this next year and do a bit of investment with my father's help. I think that 2,200-2,500 would be doable, as a starting monthly salary.
    You should probably do the math on this...

I suck at negotiating salaries, but there's a lot of good info online to compare with what you get here. My two cents: Start higher, you can always come down. If you have a current job or are applying for other positions, use that to your advantage.

The big one for me: work raises into your salary! I'm not very confident with asking for a high amount right off the bat, but I am much better with saying "Great, let's start at $x, and then after my first 90 days that increases to $x+." If you can go a step further an ensure yourself an additional raise every year, you're way ahead of most people in the horse business. It's very normal to have annual reviews in other jobs.

Good luck!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

1 members found this post helpful.

Does anyone here live in New Orleans or know of any tools that could help me find out cost of living there? I think awhile back I saw a webpage on this site that gave cost-of-living and salary ranges of various zip codes?
    the web site is City-Data.com... here is New Orleans
    http://www.city-data.com/city/New-Or...Louisiana.html

I am not fully attempting to alter your career direction but caution you to have a backup plan. My youngest daughter is head trainer making a just over a low six figure salary with full benefits, 401K plan and the works.... but she didn't just fall into it.

She had been showing nationally since the age of five and had won several national titles in cross disciplinary work on horses that she personally had trained from the ground up, BUT we made sure she does have a backup plan where she could return to teaching biology or physics if needed OR desired

I did live in New Orleans for a period of time and really never liked the city.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

I figured that talking about insurance was talking about pay. It is a form of compensation in my book.

I'm 22, only saying that as it pertains to liability insurance. I don't want to be poked fun at simply because I'm younger as that seems to happen a lot on this forum....

Definitely asking a load of question before the job. On this forum is the starting point about what questions to ask and get general info on what is expected.
    When I asked about the original thread on pay, I was talking about a different thread. The was a woman looking for barn help and at one point said just the thrill of working with horses should be part of the compensation. That thread seems to have disappeared. When your title was 'another post on pay', I thought perhaps you were referring to that one.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

The New Orleans area is, generally, pretty affordable compared to other mid sized cities.

But you might want to be sure on the "90% sure they offer health insurance" and are not counting on workmans comp to cover any on the job injuries. Many barns, if not most, do not offer health insurance or much of a "benefit package" at all outside of workmans comp thru the state.

The salary mentioned is actually very good for all but the pricey big cities and coasts and more then my own AA barn would start you at. It should be affordable to live on as far as basics go. BUT if you have to carry your own liability and private health insurance? Not going to leave much and one accident or illness is going to wipe you out, I really doubt they have any kind of "sick" days and the workmans comp/disability is no where near what you bring home working.

I would advise waiting until you actually meet them, tour the facility and sit down to discuss details to get your heart set on anything. And see the offer of employment or contractor terms in WRITING before you sign anything...and don't start until you do sign something. Ask about turnover rates too, why did the person you are replacing leave and how long were they there.

Google the farm name and individual names plus ask on here for recomendations of places to board and train in that area, maybe under an alter to be safe since you are job hunting. See if anything pops up. It's hard to make an informed decision when you don't know who you will be dealing with and their reputation. We have had quite a few threads on here involving horror stories about new jobs-don't go there. COTH is a great resource but works better before then it does after.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the advice findeight. I had someone message me about avoiding a possible barn so I will be asking on here soon.