The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Home Schooling

Hi! I have a friend that needs to home school her daughter due to being on the road a lot showing. She is in the second grade and is 8 years old. There are quite a few curriculums or accredited schools that offer online schools for middle school and high school, but does anyone have suggestions for elementary school? The local schools, nor private schools, will work with them due to the number of absences her daughter has each year. They live in NC. Thank you so much for any and all ideas!

There are many home schooling groups out there that are worth looking into that will be helpful in finding a good curriculum. I would say that for a second grader that you're probably not going to find a really good online program. At that age, they are still learning to read and really need more of a hands on interaction with humans, plus lots of practice with pencil and paper. There are online academies for this age group... but I will say (flame suit on) that from my various investigations, I think they're more about making money for the online school than they are about a great system for educating kids.

To do this, especially with this age, takes a lot of time. You can't really expect that the work can or will be done unsupervised.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

2 members found this post helpful.

Use your search engines. (The bold 's' is for a reason. Some engines are more objective than others.) Several of our friends have done or do home schooling and their kids have all turned out very well.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

We home school for a variety of reasons. The best advice I can give you is to try and connect with a hs group in the hometown area. We all do different things NC - we use curriculum from all over the map. NC does not require any specific curriculum alignment - in other words you don't have to make sure you are following curricula that is the same as what a public school child is doing. For the elementary grades there are so many options.

The great thing about homeschool families is that they are usually VERY willing to share their experiences, their materials, etc. What region of the state is your friend in? Raleigh has a great place, The Homeschool Gathering Place. They are a GREAT help.

If you want more info PM me. I used to teach public middle school in NC. Homeschooling can seem a little overwhelming with all that's out there but it's completely doable and your friend can customize instruction. As far as the state is concerned she just needs to keep an attendance record and immunization records; she will also need to have her child complete one of the approved standardized tests each year and keep those scores/records on hand.

The best place to start - http://www.ncdnpe.org/index.aspx - and then find some other homeschool families. There are ALL kinds. I don't even own a denim jumper or ever wear my hair in a bun. LOL

3 members found this post helpful.

Just to echo what poltroon wrote and to ad...

We have found that just about everything we do is an educational opportunity and a show ground opens all sorts of opps for reading, basic math, physics, etc. BUT, yeah, don't expect to hand out worksh!ts and expect miracles.

As far as I'm concerned, this is probably one of the top homeschooling programs in the country. They also have a day school program...many of my daughter's friends attended their day program. Excellent reputation, outstanding academics. Their program is recommended by the U.S. Foreign Service for families abroad.

http://homeschool.calvertschool.org/...ool-curriculum
    Last edited by LauraKY; Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    I don't even own a denim jumper or ever wear my hair in a bun. LOL

I'm reading this and I get to the 'denim jumper' part and my quick brain is going what??? Is this some 'kind of terminology' that I've missed somewhere? (HR here sometimes gets carried away!) then I read on and get to the bun part, but I'm still laughing at my brain that was trying to decode the other part first!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

1 members found this post helpful.