The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lame weanling-Ideas-Experience??

I have a lame weanling (7 months).
    Going on 4 weeks now, right front.

Full work up, x rays and hoof testing revealed nothing. Vet did not do nerve block- says its unreliable in very young horses or hard to do, one or the other.

There never was any heat or swelling of any type at any point.

Worse when she gets up for her nap (I guess it's like a flexion test?).
    Lameness is not affecting length of stride. The pain seems to be on weight bearing part of movement. But easily gives all legs for daily handling and I'm able to move that leg in any way, flex all joints (shoulder, elbow, knee, fetlock) with no resistance. Bright and eating well, getting her hay and her water ok but on limited turn out obviously

Two vets are quite baffled.

On the wait and see and banamine for another week and then more xrays since its been 3 weeks since the last and "maybe" something has developed.

Any ideas, stories...?
    Véronique
    www.FormosusSporthorses.ca
    Like us on Facebook

So sorry to hear Veronique! I did have a foal one year pull a shoulder muscle and he was "off" for a solid 2 months. Fingers crossed your baby just got playing too hard and it is more muscle related. With no heat/swelling and good x-rays I would lean towards thinking that myself...
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

I was also thinking shoulder if the lower limbs have been ruled out.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals www.EquineAppraisers.com

Agree with Daventry, but I'd be a bit worried about Banamine for a week (for any horse, much less a youngster).

I knew of a youngster that had an OCD lesion in the shoulder, so that shouldn't be ruled out (was found with a scan).

I had this happen to one of mine recently. Very obviously lame and reluctant to bear weight on one front foot. No obvious injury, heat or swelling. Vet comes out and thinks he can detect a small amount of swelling in coronet but very unobvious upon initial observation and palpatation.
    Treat with limited turnout, a bit of bute and observe. No improvement after a week or so, have vet back out to run films. X-rays show no fracture. We are stumped what is wrong with baby who is now on stall rest.
    Finally, after another week without improvement, and increasing panic on our part, he develops a small hole leaking fluid on fetlock. Vet re-examines x-ray and thinks he sees absess. Score small drainage hole in hoof, and treat agressively with Exenell and animalintex poultice for a week. Foal is now %100. Very scary to have an absess go undetected for so long and to have foal be so lame but glad we finally found it. It can be so frustrating when you can not pinpoint what is wrong.

1 members found this post helpful.

My first thought would be abcess as well.

Dalemma

Abcess: would it take almost 3-4 weeks to "evolve"?
    That is the part that doesn't fit. I thought a few weeks but now I'm really getting concerned but still can't find anything else...

Oh and for the banamine she is on for 4 days and off for 5 days...
    Véronique
    Like us on Facebook

Agree abscesses usually show quickly. Sole bruise possibly, but should be postive to hoof testers.

Fractures of the coffin bone are not unusual in youngsters. May not have shown on the initial radiographs, but may next time if there is some remodeling going on.

Abcesses, especially if they are really high up in the hoof, can take up to two months to crop up I think?

I had a mare diagnosed as having foundered... Turns out she popped 3-4 massive abcesses 6-8 weeks later. She hadn't improved at all in the meantime. My farrier kept saying it was impossible this mare had foundered, her hooves hadn't changed.

To this day; picture perfect hooves and hasn't taken a lame step since.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Mine did the same, but her stride shortened greatly... Didn't bother with x rays but tested the good just invade, no swelling etc, lots of mud here so we determined shoulder.. No heat swelling etc would bear weight but keeping her inside made it worse and her laying down hurt too.

I'd worry about the banamine in her... At such a young age... Time is all the babies really need. I kept mine off bute except two doses of 1 g just to see if it helpe and it didn't.. But too much of anything so young cant be good for them
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!

I had a foal this year with lingering and hard to diagnose abscess. Again, no heat or swelling anywhere. Hope that is it, and it can be managed. I too would lighten up on the banamine if possible. Maybe think about ulcergard or somesuch - ask vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydays View Post
    I had a foal this year with lingering and hard to diagnose abscess. Again, no heat or swelling anywhere. Hope that is it, and it can be managed. I too would lighten up on the banamine if possible. Maybe think about ulcergard or somesuch - ask vet.
    Yes, this. Most adult horses are never prescribed Banamine or any NSAID for the dose for an acute situation for more than 3 days...I would worry terribly about this for a youngster. Could make a problem even worse.

Third that wondered about the shoulder.

Mine hurt hers in turn out before her first birthday, was off for a week or so – would visibly respond to a sore area in the shoulder muscles when palpated. With two vets, I am assuming this has been done – but have you poked and prodded everywhere looking for muscle soreness?

Treatment was paddock (not stall) rest, no NSAIDs (a little pain would hopefully keep her from stressing the injury).

Horse is now 5 and never had a shoulder issue again.

She's been poked, and prodded so much poor thing is wondering what is wrong with us!
    I can't find any soreness anywhere. I can pick up her leg and do just about anything with it with no resistance. She is still young ennough that I can feel her shoulder and elbow joint pretty well (not too much muscles to go through) and there is not swelling or tenderness.
    Its the depth of winter here, soaking the foot just to see if we can draw out the potential abcess is just not do-able here.

She is no longer on banamine by the way.

If its an abcess taking its sweet time to work its way out or get re-absorbed why is she more sore when she gets up? Blood rushing down to the foot maybe?

Babies! eh?
    Véronique
    Like us on Facebook

Babies eh is right, Formosus. Who knows why she is limping? We had a filly born this year who had mildly contracted tendons, and then got her foot/ pastern caught under a door when she was about a week old. When she was still limping after a couple of weeks and our vet couldn't really find anything obvious, we took her to UC Davis. She was x-rayed, wrapped for a couple of weeks, and given banamine/ulcerguard for a week. After all that, she was still a bit off. I was really worried that if she didn't weight that foot she would develop a severe contraction, so I bought her an Easyboot. They make a close fit trail model that will fit warmblood babies. The boot made all the difference for her. She was comfortable in it with the cushioning on her sole. She wore it for at least six weeks, and when we let her go without it, she had recovered completely. I'll never know if she had a residual stone bruise or she was still sore at the coronary band from getting it caught, but protecting the foot worked.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

1 members found this post helpful.

How is your filly doing?
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals www.EquineAppraisers.com

I had a yearling with a mystery lameness, xrayed perfectly clean. Lameness tended to come and go, but he was very off when he was off. When we'd get ready to block him, he wouldn't be lame enough that particular day, so we didn't do it.
    As it turned out, we believe it was in his neck, possibly a pinched nerve. He started having neck issues (putting his head down to eat), and had him adjusted (after xrays), and he has been so good. He is three now. I make sure to do carrot stretches with him etc, he has been worked on maybe four times total.
    As near as we can figure he probably had a somersault or something in the field which did it.
    Anyway, don't ignore the neck, it can be the cause of a front leg lameness, best of luck! (Mine was also RF, fwiw).
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Thanks for asking.
    No change really. Not getting worse. The other day she was racing around with the other filly. It is slight but still there.
    Thanks for the tip about the neck I will get the chiro to take a look at her, she has to come for another horse anyway.
    Véronique
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Formosus View Post
    Thanks for asking.
    No change really. Not getting worse. The other day she was racing around with the other filly. It is slight but still there.
    Thanks for the tip about the neck I will get the chiro to take a look at her, she has to come for another horse anyway.
    Have you ruled out OCD in the shoulder? I would be very concerned at this point if she hasn't improved. Have there been any changes in the hoof? If she's unwilling to bear equal weight, the affected foot may begin to contract, or show a noticeable smaller size than the other. It's probably time to get her to the clinic for a proper radiograph. They'll have a difficult time doing the shoulder without laying her down with ketamine, so taking her in is probably the wisest thing to do. Keep us updated!
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

She's had full x-rays. Nothing visible.
    She is weight bearing and using her leg normally and her feet are symmetrical. Her length of stride is not affected so we are not going to do another set of xrays of her shoulder until later.
    I *think* it's in the knee but again, nothing visible.
    She was starting to feel better and then seems to have caught a cold so now she is back to feeling sorry for herself. Vet coming tomorrow to pull blood.
    We will have her test the hoof again, just in case.
    <sigh>
    Véronique
    Like us on Facebook