The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cleaning/Conditioning dressage saddle

Do you oil dressage saddles? I am a hunter now part-time eventer...and the leather just doesn't look like the type I'd oil...

It's a custom saddlery saddle, their normal leather I guess. I don't know if I've ever cleaned the thing in the 1.5 years I've had it...it's now gotten a little moldy from being out of use. Do I oil it or just condition and saddle soap it??

It's this one: http://www.mysaddle.com/MYSADD~3/VictoryOrig.html

I don't oil my dressage saddles.
    I use horseman's onestep daily and the occasional Effax or Passier Lederbalsm for the conditioner.

I don't oil my dressage saddles.
    I use horseman's onestep daily and the occasional Effax or Passier Lederbalsm for the conditioner.

Clean your saddle with Efol Effax Ledercombi to remove the mold. The instructions my Custom Saddle fitter gave me for my buffalo leather saddle was to wipe it down with a clean dry cloth. And then use Effol Lederbalsam conditioner and apply with a sponge, and then take a medium, short grooming brush and brush in the conditioner.

I think the Effax products are the only ones that Custom recommends.

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    Do you oil dressage saddles? I am a hunter now part-time eventer...and the leather just doesn't look like the type I'd oil...

It's a custom saddlery saddle, their normal leather I guess. I don't know if I've ever cleaned the thing in the 1.5 years I've had it...it's now gotten a little moldy from being out of use. Do I oil it or just condition and saddle soap it??

It's this one: http://www.mysaddle.com/MYSADD~3/VictoryOrig.html
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Thank you thank you! I will have to order some...I don't have any down here at my eventing barn. I knew you guys would know what to do

I found that the Passier products took the dye out of my saddle, made by Whippey. I use gycerine soap to clean, and Stubben Hamanol to condition.

I have been using a quick swipe of Albion soap followed by a quick swipe of Albion conditioner on my saddles and have been really liking the combo. I do it right on the aisle using a dash of water from the closest bucket and using the horse as a tack stand.

I like what the combo does for the leather and it really smells great so that is always nice.

I used to use Stuebben Hammanol, which does a great job and is super grippy to ride in after, but it is a bit greasy and smells kind of gross.