The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Default A Tale of 2 Bales, or why I love my husband

Yesterday I asked DH to bring me a round bale of Brome to the house from our dairy for the TB and the QH/TB pony. I feed free choice, for a variety of reasons. DH called up for me to go open the gates so he could drop the bale. Thank God he called me down. It seems as though the Sunday feed truck driver on our dairy fed my last two bales of Brome to the dry cows by accident, so DH threw a 4x4x8 of 180 test dairy quality straight alfalfa on for me.

He just assumed I could cut out their concentrated feed while they ate the alfalfa. I love him dearly. Any emergency ration changes for our cows have to be computed by our nutritionist, but we can just sub alfalfa for grass to the horses no problem.

DH is now on his way back to get me a bale of CRP "crap" hay that isn't as good as the Brome, but won't do quite the damage 1400lbs of free choice alfalfa would

He also accidentally left the freezer door in the vet room open yesterday, where I was storing some meat that wouldn't fit at the house, so I have 33lbs of hamburger meat cooking in my roaster and ribs and brisket in the oven and a roast in the crock pot. I really do love him
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

4 members found this post helpful.

You can love them, but some days you just can't like them so much.

Glad you were able to catch things before they went into "the even worse" setting!! Yikes, sure hope things improve for you.

1 members found this post helpful.

OMG my horse would go insane on free choice alfalfa. When I feed him his timothy pellets, carrots, and measly 2 pounds of alfalfa cubes, he eats them first. He only gets two pounds because any more and it awakens his inner racehorse. I shudder to think!
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

OMG free choice alfalfa? Eek! That's a disaster in the making...if I were to throw that in front of my horse, he wouldn't stop eating until he burst....glad you caught it on time!

Wait a sec. What are you cooking 33 lbs of hamburger in? How large is that bad boy? I can't picture it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

This happened to me and my horse once, only it wasn't caught until my Dr Jekyll horse turned into Mr Hyde. A well-meaning person put a round bale of straight alfalfa into my horse's field without my or the BM's knowledge. I just could not figure out why my horse's personality changed so completely! He went from a cooperative, if green, sweetheart to a rebellious crank under saddle. The BM discovered what had happened and sheepishly told me after she had the bale removed. Before long my Mojo was back to his old amiable self. OP, be glad you discovered that bale!
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

MVP, it is like this

http://www.sears.com/hamilton-beach-...6&blockType=G6

Very lucky I caught it! DH suggested leaving it where the horses couldn't get to it and forking some in but when I reminded him that I was leaving town in a week for almost a week and he would be doing the feeding, he went back for the grass bale
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    MVP, it is like this

http://www.sears.com/hamilton-beach-...6&blockType=G6

Very lucky I caught it! DH suggested leaving it where the horses couldn't get to it and forking some in but when I reminded him that I was leaving town in a week for almost a week and he would be doing the feeding, he went back for the grass bale
    So 33# of beef fit in there? Comparing that hamburger in volume to, say, a bag of pelleted bedding, how big is it?

Oh, and I have a cool BBQ sauce recipe, should your man get tired of eating "his" hamburger somewhere around the 20# mark.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I am sure the horses are giving you some evil looks for noticing their jackpot bale of alfalfa before they had a chance to dig into it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I am sure the horses are giving you some evil looks for noticing their jackpot bale of alfalfa before they had a chance to dig into it.
    Lucky (who has started creating his own bedding out of grass hay now that he's also getting alfalfa because that's what the supplier had) would probably go on a hunger strike in protest.