1. Find a shipper, get a quote. Everything's good. They're supposed to leave the 20th and arrive on the 25th with the horse.
2. On the 20th I get told everyone has the flu so the trip is delayed 8 days.
3. Get told the horse will arrive the 1st or 2nd of February.
4. Get told actually the hors will arrive on the 30th-31st of January.
5. On the 29th, seller of horse asks for shippers contact info, since the shipper hasn't contacted them yet.
6. On the morning of the 30th, the day the horse was scheduled to be picked up at 3pm, the shipper emails me with a vague email saying the horse is off the load, and that the seller never called him back last night or something along those lines.
I have never had to deal with a lot of horse hauling. All I know is that horses never arrive when they're supposed to and that shipping can be a nightmare sometimes. I used a reputable shipper who has tons of recommendations from people. Needless to say I'm confused and have no idea who actually got in contact with who, so... I have no idea what's going on.
Should I find another shipper?
Should I try to sort this out?
What should I do?
Definitely find another shipper. I had a sort of last minute shipping dilemma in december, imported a horse and had a week to find a shipper to get him from miami to north western NC on a saturday. I was stressing a ton but it did work out. He did an overnight in ocala with the shippers and was supposed to come up on sunday and they were going to call me. 10am rolls around and no call, after several phone calls he was loaded and on his way north. Didn't arrive until late though.
The seller did not cancel and there was no deposit. I've dealt with shipping horses off before and organizing that but I've never had to ship one myself.
Seller calls me this morning and says the shipper told her he was making another round on the 10th and they could do it then. She also said that the shipper claimed to have left a voicemail which she never got. Other shippers I know of are also not leaving again until around the same time. I could go down myself with a friend who has a trailer but I would sacrifice days off from work.
What bothers me is the lack of communication. If the shipper couldn't get in contact with the seller why wouldn't they call me? They loaded up another horse and filled up their load so it couldn't be fixed. Just bugs me.