The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My barn is 100' from my back door. The very, very large dry lot the horses overnight in runs from the barn to 30' from my kitchen window. Once I have fed for the evening in the winter time, usually by 6:00 p.m., I am not back outside and unless the horses are standing under the dusk to dawn light on the barn I can't see them. With the house all closed up I wouldn't hear an outside comotion unless the inside dogs alerted me.

It all works out and I bet your horse will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarnRules View Post
    This past weekend I did a TLAER course (technical large animal rescue) and one of the things I took away from it is this - if there is a fire it is HIGHLY unlikely your barn and/or horses will survive. First there is the issue of noticing the fire in time to do anything; second is the amount of time it takes the fire department to show up (and are you sure they can get up your driveway?); third, a barn can burn to the ground in under 5 minutes; fourth, after a certain point, the horses cannot be saved even assuming you can get into the barn, find the stalls through the smoke, get the horses out, find your way back out, etc.

I don't say any of this to depress anyone or to suggest you shouldn't try to save your horse or barn in case of a fire. However, even with someone living IN THE BARN there is very little chance that a fire will be noticed in time. Don't forget that in the case of the fire at Dutton's barn the only reason one of the people living in the barn realized it was on fire was because they had gotten up to go to the bathroom and smelled smoke.

If everything else was to my satisfaction, this would not be a deal-breaker.
    This. When I am burning debri here I use a couple of pitchforks full of hay that has fallen off the square bales as a starter. The resulting blaze happens in seconds....and that is from only those couple pitchforks of hay.

I think the biggest error folks make is not keeping a group of halters and leadropes OUT of the barn in a safe place to use IF trying to get into a burning barn to remove a horse or two. My horses can come and go from their stalls but I keep a couple sets up at the house on the off chance there was a problem and they hunkered down in their stalls.