The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

No night check would not bother me, but nobody on premises might.

As stated before...fire issues. And I, personally, do not like "abandoned" properties with nobody living there overnight. Just a personal thing for me. The horse world is a small one when it comes to news and gossip...I wouldn't want the general public knowing there are horses, tack, etc on a property that anyone can walk around on at night with nobody knowing they're there.

But also as said...20 minutes isn't a far distance. Or ask the BO if you can put a router in and have remote stall viewing via internet for overnight...like Mare Stare.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

2 members found this post helpful.

I agree that my biggest concern would be whether or not there's someone in close proximity in case of fire. Whether it's the BO or someone renting a home on the farm property totally unrelated to the horse business, it's nice to have someone there in case they see flames.

I guess commute time is all relative...I can remember a time when I thought 20 min to the barn was a lot. But now that I live over an hour away (depending on traffic) I think I'd practically kill for a 20 min commute!

That said, the lack of night check wouldn't bother me so much as not having someone around to call 911 if the place goes up in flames. You might ask what kind of fire safety stuff is in place. Especially right now with heated water buckets and such, I would want to know what the game plan is.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

If you're satisfied with all the other care I really wouldn't worry. None of my horses ever got an official 'night check', generally I feed after work (3-4-5pm depending on season) and oftentimes call it good. I would say about three times per week I go out and don't get home until 11pm-ish and I'll pop in to check on His Highness and the only thing I've noticed is his displeasure at being awoken

As mentioned above, the only worry for me would be fire, do they have alarms that go to the police if triggered?
    Quarry Rat

Are you worried about there being no one on the premises? Or no one checking the condition of the horses in the middle of the night? I don't check my own animals after 8 pm( unless they are close to having babies) and I never check my horses unless there is a specific reason to. As long as they are well cared for otherwise I wouldn't move for just that reason. As others have said, you could do many during the night checks and miss something every time. BO needs some time to sleep/ have a life too.

1 members found this post helpful.

I live 25-30 minutes away from my barn, I figure that's a reasonable commute time.

Also, my BO lives on the property but all the horses are out in pastures and I'm pretty sure she doesn't go out after evening feeding to go check on them all. It's never bothered me, i accept that sometimes the horses are going to be unsupervised, period.

In my previous barn, it was a nearly half-hour commute too, owners still lived on the property but again...some horses in the barn, many horses out in fields. Only time they do night check that I know of is if they had a horse with an injury or some other medical situation that required them to come down. Otherwise, after lights out...that was it until morning feed.

I would never expect a BO to go out in the middle of the night to look in on the horses, it wouldn't even cross my mind.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by pandorasboxx View Post
    Complete deal killer if no one is on the property. Even if a night check isn't conducted, someone on the property to contact the fire department in case of fire/start getting the horses out or deter theft of horses/equipment is very important to me. The random colic or cast isn't the issue, it's a bigger one of hands on deck in case of major catastrophe.
    This past weekend I did a TLAER course (technical large animal rescue) and one of the things I took away from it is this - if there is a fire it is HIGHLY unlikely your barn and/or horses will survive. First there is the issue of noticing the fire in time to do anything; second is the amount of time it takes the fire department to show up (and are you sure they can get up your driveway?); third, a barn can burn to the ground in under 5 minutes; fourth, after a certain point, the horses cannot be saved even assuming you can get into the barn, find the stalls through the smoke, get the horses out, find your way back out, etc.

I don't say any of this to depress anyone or to suggest you shouldn't try to save your horse or barn in case of a fire. However, even with someone living IN THE BARN there is very little chance that a fire will be noticed in time. Don't forget that in the case of the fire at Dutton's barn the only reason one of the people living in the barn realized it was on fire was because they had gotten up to go to the bathroom and smelled smoke.

If everything else was to my satisfaction, this would not be a deal-breaker.
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    Are you worried about there being no one on the premises? Or no one checking the condition of the horses in the middle of the night? I don't check my own animals after 8 pm( unless they are close to having babies) and I never check my horses unless there is a specific reason to. As long as they are well cared for otherwise I wouldn't move for just that reason. As others have said, you could do many during the night checks and miss something every time. BO needs some time to sleep/ have a life too.
    Good point- I guess the problem isn't so much a night check as it is that there is no one on the property for extensive periods of time - both during the day and all night. I understand that BO/BM's need a life. In a perfect world - if I had my horse at home - I wouldn't be around much of the day, either, but I would peek at them right before I went to bed and would be able to hear if something extraordinary was going on. Do most boarding barns have a fire alarm or other warning system? Not talking about BNT barns, but average barn situations?

I'm thinking unless I want to search for another barn, I'm just going to have to deal...

I don't think I've ever seen a fire alarm in any barn I've ever been in. Then again...with all the dust that can tend to be in the air, you'd probably get a lot of false alarms as that can set them off.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by pandorasboxx View Post
    Complete deal killer if no one is on the property. Even if a night check isn't conducted, someone on the property to contact the fire department in case of fire/start getting the horses out or deter theft of horses/equipment is very important to me. The random colic or cast isn't the issue, it's a bigger one of hands on deck in case of major catastrophe.
    This.
    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off ~ Gloria Steinem

Maybe it is a regional thing. I have never boarded in a barn with a night check. From little back yard places – to huge training centers, with multiple BNTs on site.

Last few barns – owners lived on site, but far away enough from the barns that there is no way they could hear something going on down there.

I go to the barn after work on the week days, I leave around 8:30 pm – I find that *I* am usually the night check.

Always was, always will be a night checker.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

When I was in high school I kept my horse in a self-care situation. Myself and another girl paid a monthly fee to use a barn/pasture at someone's house - they were not horse people but liked to look at the horses.

In January of that year I got a call late at night (I was at a friend's house) that there had been a fire at our barn.

The owners of the property had seen the hayloft on fire, called 911, and run down to the barn to get the horses out. Luckily our horses had in/out access to the barn and happened to be out at the time.

Not only did the people lock the horses in the far pasture away from the barn, but they ran in to the tack room to try and save our tack. (I just happened to have my saddle in my car for some reason - so fortunate!)

This entire thing went down before they even got a hold of me. I can't tell you how thankful I was for those people!

It's not a deal breaker for me about night check as I've had it both ways, but I will say that it makes me more comfortable to at least have someone on the property to call for help.

Of course my horse tends to try and kill herself only when people are around. Just ask Herbie19!

Can you just ride late?

My barn doesn't have official night check but yesterday I came out after work with a lesson to teach and four more to ride, so there was definitely a poor schlepp hanging around until 12:30 last night.

Quote Originally Posted by ridingagain View Post
    Thanks for all the responses so far, although I still am torn. This ^ is more my fear, but also a random colic or something. FWIW, there aren't many people there during the day either. I'm out there from around 1 - 4 every day and am usually the only person there. I have found my horse sweating from too many blankets on, but basically things have been okay. Horse is in field all day with run-in and in stall at night. There is a perimeter fence, so I'm not worried about him getting out - It's more a fear of a catastrophic event. Those of you that suggested cameras... how much are they and how are they installed? Would that work from my house to the barn? I hate to sound over-protective, but I did have a friend who had a barn fire and would have lost 9 horses if someone wasn't there on the scene. As it was, she lost everything else - the barn was gone in minutes! Thanks again for your thoughts, everyone!
    For what it's worth there are also plenty of instances where grooms living in the barn DIE in the fire. Plenty of farms DO NOT have in barn housing that meets fire codes. Plenty of people slap up dry wall and insulation in the hayloft and call it an apartment...

Also, barns that burn down when the people living on the property in another house have NO idea until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a fire alarm in any barn I've ever been in. Then again...with all the dust that can tend to be in the air, you'd probably get a lot of false alarms as that can set them off.
    Correct on both accounts!! I knew one, and the guy had the freakin' FD there all the freakin' time.... The farrier knew how to shut the system off for when he was there. But even heavy fog would set the damned thing off.

AND, since the shreaking alarm freaked everyone out, and the sudden flashing lights were not popular with the horses... they turned the alarm volume down.... so.... you could.. ahem... perhaps be riding around the indoor arena with the alarm going off and you might not notice it.... until you saw the FD rolling in ....

Wouldn't bother me. I don't do an extra "night check" on my two at home, who are out 24/7, and many times I am done feeding by 6:30 or 7pm.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

I came in from feeding half an hour ago and that was my final night check.

Even when you have your horses at home, it is not necessary or convenient sometimes to be running out just before bedtime. I keep my barn as tidy as possible in an attempt to limit burnable material, but damn, my barn is also full of hay!

The reality is that you can do everything right and still lose horses in unfortunate circumstances. Most of us have learned, after years of needlessly worrying about things you can't control, is to do the best you can to keep your horses safe, but you can't prevent everything!

Quote Originally Posted by cutter99 View Post
    I came in from feeding half an hour ago and that was my final night check.

Even when you have your horses at home, it is not necessary or convenient sometimes to be running out just before bedtime. I keep my barn as tidy as possible in an attempt to limit burnable material, but damn, my barn is also full of hay!

The reality is that you can do everything right and still lose horses in unfortunate circumstances. Most of us have learned, after years of needlessly worrying about things you can't control, is to do the best you can to keep your horses safe, but you can't prevent everything!
    Well said... Guess I'll have to get over it and appreciate all the things I love about the barn. Of course, it's easier to say after a margarita!

I have a friend who just lost a barn full of hay and 12 horses. House is across the road (not 100 yards).

Devastation was total. Night check would not have helped.

It never bothered me to not have someone living at the property (boarded at a co-op and no one lived on site). Someone living there is not going to stop the barn from burning down.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**