The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spin-off - No night check

My horse loves his new barn and so do I, except for one HUGE thing. No one is there at night. There is not a soul on the premises from about 7/8 pm to 6/7 am. I did not know this when I moved there because there is a house on the property that I thought the BO lived in. Turns out she lives 8 miles down the road and the house is unoccupied. This really makes me uneasy.

Horse loves his stall, turn out buddy, lots of nice grass, good ring with footing, low key small barn with no drama and the BO has been very accommodating thru my boy's stall rest and rehab. It really is an ideal situation except for the one HUGE thing... I would do night check myself except that I live 20 minutes away. WWYD?

I don't know. That would really bother me, I just know of too many issues that have been caught at night check. Our BO lives on site about 500 ft from the barn, if she didn't I would probably look for somewhere else to board. That is only one opinion though, I am certain that there are people out there who would not have a problem with it.

As I said...our horses have no one checking on them from 6 pm - 7 am...I think that is normal for most barns. Sometimes a groom spends the night there, but doubtful that they check on the horses... I just use a SHHN to make sure he will always have hay so that I don't have to worry and water is checked before the last person leaves.

20 minutes isn't horrible though! Totally doable a few nights a week on the way back from dinner or something

1 members found this post helpful.

What about asking to put in a camera so you can visually check at night before bed? I have thought about that but never asked for it myself.

All three of our prior barns didn't do any night check. Boarders often checked around 7-9pm and that was it.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I don't see the point of night check, never have.

If you check them at 11PM...nothing prevents them from getting cast at 3AM and not being found until 6AM. Or colicking. Or choking on a wad of hay. Nothing.

If something magical happens between 10PM-11PM that says TaDa They Iz Safe, I've never seen proof of it.

If you trust the design of the facilities and the care provided within normal hours...why flip the lights on at 10PM to say 'how ya'll doin'?' if you pasture boarded- with let's say 30 horses on the property...are you going to spy on all 30 in the pitch dark and blind them w/ a flashlight to ensure they aren't dead yet?

S*** gonna happen sometimes, it just is. Invest in safe surroundings and go the **** to sleep (thank you, Samuel L Jackson)l.

Signed- horses at home, outside, 24/7/360. (maybe 5 nights a year I put them up b/c of the weather).

25 members found this post helpful.

To me that is late enough, if they topped off water, checked hay, etc. Half the time night check at shows is that hour, or on the way back from dinner.

I am more concerned with night check at shows as it is a temporary situation and lots more action around.

Even when we lived on the grounds, it was not the norm to go out that late to check horses unless blankets needed to go on, doors closed or a horse had an injury.

I've never boarded at a place where someone checked between 8pm and 7am. Even if there's a house on the property, short of a FIRE or major calamity-- no one's going to know a horse is colicing or cast or something. I think this might just be one of those things you compromise on if you otherwise love the place.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

3 members found this post helpful.

I agree with Katarine! You can't have someone there every single second of every day. I'm not saying that night checks haven't saved some horses from sticky situations. But a person can do a night check at 11PM, and a horse can still colic or hurt themselves at 11:10PM. There's nothing you can do about it. I don't know that it would bother me so much that I would switch barns. It seems like you and your horse like the rest of the situation there, so I'd say it's pretty minor in relation to other stories I've heard.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

2 members found this post helpful.

when the horses are at my house they get night checks... usually right before i go to bed.

where i board now they get night checks.

night checks have saved the lives of countless horses - and conversely i know of several horses who died and who might of survived had there been night checks.

in a normal busy barn you don't need day checks because folks are around all day and /or horses are out.

night checks are just part of a well functioning barn. Horses aren't meant to be in tiny boxes - so because we stick them there we owe them the courtesy of making sure they are ok in this unnatural setting.

I think night checks are nice, but not a necessity. They have certainly saved many a horse from a nasty or potentially nasty situation, I'm sure, but as others have said, a night check at 11 PM or midnight or whenever doesn't prevent the calamitous from happening. Take a personal example from one night two years ago: I checked horses before leaving at 7:30. BO checked horses at 11:30 PM before bed. Everyone was fine, eating, etc. But come 6:30 AM the next morning, the mare with a foal at her side who was fine and friendly the night before was dead. Massive heart attack. **** happens. It's awful when it does, but it's not feasible to expect people to be checking on the horses 24/7. If you love the facility otherwise, I think you would probably regret leaving over a night check.

Well I think it really depends on what your other options are.

Is there a barn where everything is the same except they have night check? I'll admit, someone on the property (or right next door I guess) is really nice for my piece of mind more than anything. The BO at my most recent barn lived on the property and could hear most of the property, so if a horse got cast she would probably notice but not a colic, etc.

I second putting a camera in. They're getting really inexpensive and easy to set up.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

Well, I boarded at several places that had someone there and several that didn't. I would have no trouble if the fences were dog tight and they had a perimeter fence in case a horse got out at night. Just because someone is there doesn't mean they won't go into their house at 7:00 pm, eat dinner, loaf in front of the tv, and then go to bed without venturing back outside.

Complete deal killer if no one is on the property. Even if a night check isn't conducted, someone on the property to contact the fire department in case of fire/start getting the horses out or deter theft of horses/equipment is very important to me. The random colic or cast isn't the issue, it's a bigger one of hands on deck in case of major catastrophe.

7 members found this post helpful.

Let's look at it from a different pov. Someone keeps their horses at home. This person leaves at 8:00 AM and does not return until 6:00 PM because of their job. OMG, the horses are alone for 10 hours a day with no one checking on them. Lots of people do this. No night check would not be a deal breaker for me.

19 members found this post helpful.

If the care is great and the horse is happy it most certainly would not bother me at all that there was no one there all night.

Quote Originally Posted by cheval convert View Post
    Let's look at it from a different pov. Someone keeps their horses at home. This person leaves at 8:00 AM and does not return until 6:00 PM because of their job. OMG, the horses are alone for 10 hours a day with no one checking on them. Lots of people do this.
    I have not thought of it this way, but it is very true.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpQH View Post
    I have not thought of it this way, but it is very true.
    AND in my experience horses get into more trouble OUT than in... and in the 'horses at home' scenario the horses are alone while they're turned out. Completely typical, what I would expect, and I'd accept it as a reality of horsemanship in my area.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Boarding Rule of Thumb: If you can't trust the place, and are not feeling at ease about your horse being there, move.

As for the twenty minute drive, I have done that twice a day and sometimes more, every day for the past 20+ years. Around here, that's a reasonable commute. No sympathy from me.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pandorasboxx View Post
    Complete deal killer if no one is on the property. Even if a night check isn't conducted, someone on the property to contact the fire department in case of fire/start getting the horses out or deter theft of horses/equipment is very important to me. The random colic or cast isn't the issue, it's a bigger one of hands on deck in case of major catastrophe.
    Thanks for all the responses so far, although I still am torn. This ^ is more my fear, but also a random colic or something. FWIW, there aren't many people there during the day either. I'm out there from around 1 - 4 every day and am usually the only person there. I have found my horse sweating from too many blankets on, but basically things have been okay. Horse is in field all day with run-in and in stall at night. There is a perimeter fence, so I'm not worried about him getting out - It's more a fear of a catastrophic event. Those of you that suggested cameras... how much are they and how are they installed? Would that work from my house to the barn? I hate to sound over-protective, but I did have a friend who had a barn fire and would have lost 9 horses if someone wasn't there on the scene. As it was, she lost everything else - the barn was gone in minutes! Thanks again for your thoughts, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by ridingagain View Post
    No one is there at night. There is not a soul on the premises from about 7/8 pm to 6/7 am.
    If there is a reliable remote monitoring system for emergencies (fire, etc), it would not bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by ridingagain View Post
    I would do night check myself except that I live 20 minutes away. WWYD?
    20 min is a short drive, even then, I would not go to do night check. As others have pointed out, most horses who live at their owner's home go completely unattended for the eight to ten hours that the household is at work/school.

I think some perspective is in order.