The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Street cats from Baltimore looking for barns to work in -- fixed, vaccinated, & FREE!

I volunteer with BARCS, the Baltimore City animal shelter. They have JUST started a new barn cat program, to try to find homes for the cats who are less-adoptable (or just plain un-adoptable). This is an open-admission shelter (taking in more than 12,000 animals each year), and is required by law to take whatever animal the public brings in, so many of these are feral or poorly socialized cats who should be left where they are to live outside, but someone gets tired of the cat hanging out on their porch so they call Animal Control. Some are friendly, some just want to stay out of your way, but what they all have in common is that pretty much the ONLY way they'll make it out of the shelter alive is to find a barn home.

If you're within ~2 hours of Baltimore, a volunteer will bring cats and all the needed supplies and show you how to acclimate them. They need to be kept crated for two weeks so they get used to you and your farm. (Crates loaned by BARCS.) There's no adoption fee, and the cats are already spayed/neutered, vaccinated for rabies/distemper, and tested for FIV/FELV.

City kitties from Baltimore want to relocate... will work for food!

BARCS recieves many cats that are not well-socialized to humans or have other issues that make them poor adoption candidates as indoor pets, but we still want to give these cats a chance to live full and happy lives. Enter the BARCS Barn Cat Program—we supply the cats (fixed and vaccinated) and you supply the barn!

There is no adoption fee for barn cats. To qualify for the program, you must fill out an adoption application; agree to provide food, water, shelter and basic veterinary care for the cats; and agree to keep the cats confined in crates (provided by BARCS) for a two-week acclimation period. This adjustment period allows cats to get used to the sights, sounds, and smells of their new home, and learn that their new human will provide a constant source of food! We can provide plenty of guidance on the acclimation process.

For more information, please email foster@baltimoreanimalshelter.org or call (410) 396-4695.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gotmice.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	37570  

Hi Erin, I can't take any more kitties, they keep getting dumped at our farm, but I wanted to let you know that Bob is doing SUPER. He's more of an outside cat now and acts like the Emperor of the farm. He even had his own facebook page! If you can, or if you remember can you message me about his past.

His facebook page is 'Bob the Cat'-it has a photo of him as his profile, you'll remember him-crossed eyed and all! He's got nearly 90 followers and if he gets to 100 he gets his own Twitter account! Everyone who meets him loves him. We adore him. He's a perfect fit for our farm. I hope you get folks to step up and adopt some of these kitties b/c they are wonderful. Thanks again! Jean

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Giving this a bump... "kitten season" is starting, which means the shelter will be getting lots of feral moms with kittens soon. They can save the kittens, and want to be able to have somewhere to send the moms too!

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Another bump! There is a young male black feral cat at the shelter now, already fixed/vax, that needs a barn home right away. They just took in 50+ cats from a hoarding case and don't have the space to keep him long.

Hey, that's my boy Fred in that "Got Mice" pic! We miss him so. He was the best barn cat ever.

Is this the same organization we got Fred, Wilma and Betty from? If so, I can totally vouch for them. Wilma and Betty are both mighty hunters, and are doing great. Erin -- Betty has totally come out of her shell and rules the barn. If I call her she comes screaming in from wherever she's out hunting. She and Wilma are best buds now, and Betty is our stall mucking supervisor, coming with me to each stall to be sure I do things right. She's so vocal, it makes us laugh.

Wish we could take more, but the ladies have already chased off another feral that tried to take up residence.

I don't come on COTH very much these days -- So glad to see you're still doing the great work you do for these cats.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Hi Erin - I just got a request for a Brewski clone. Got anbody even half as great?

I live in NE TN - probably 6 hours away. Would love to give a couple of kitties a barn (the 3 barn kitties we have are not controlling our mouse population as well as I would like. LOL) but we're way outside of 6 hours. If you can find volunteers to transport, I can offer a home!