The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default COTH American Horses in Sport Issue

I've been going over every page and every horse very carefully with emphasis on sire, dam, and registry. Only problem is that some of the CoTH registry abbreviations don't make sense to me. They don't use the standard abbreviations for registries; KWPN is called DW (I think) and there are some that are just impenetrable. I know last year that a box was published with a full explanation of the CoTH abbreviations, but I cannot seem to find one this year.

Is there one? If so, what page? I haven't made it through the whole issue yet, so it's possible that I either missed it or haven't gotten to it yet.

Does anyone know what is meant by A-DB? If there isn't an explanation somewhere in the issue, I might well be back with some other peculiar breeding designations.

Also I've managed to find a couple of errors so far. I cannot remember precisely what but I do know that I was surprised. Seems to me that I recall them being in the eventing section and that some were horses designated as TB who were not pure blood and were famously not pure blood TB.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I've been going over every page and every horse very carefully with emphasis on sire, dam, and registry. Only problem is that some of the CoTH registry abbreviations don't make sense to me. They don't use the standard abbreviations for registries; KWPN is called DW (I think) and there are some that are just impenetrable. I know last year that a box was published with a full explanation of the CoTH abbreviations, but I cannot seem to find one this year.

Is there one? If so, what page? I haven't made it through the whole issue yet, so it's possible that I either missed it or haven't gotten to it yet.

Does anyone know what is meant by A-DB? If there isn't an explanation somewhere in the issue, I might well be back with some other peculiar breeding designations.

Also I've managed to find a couple of errors so far. I cannot remember precisely what but I do know that I was surprised. Seems to me that I recall them being in the eventing section and that some were horses designated as TB who were not pure blood and were famously not pure blood TB.
    Viney!!! - I am so glad you asked about the breed shorthand and particularly the A-DB but there are also D-BD ??????????? And DW must be KWPN. I kept looking for an "abbreviations key" but no luck. Driving me crazy
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Isn't DW Danish Warmblood?

Rebecca that would make logical sense but hard for me to believe we have no KWPN jumpers but quite a number of Danish Warmbloods...???
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Default Breeding Abbreviations in AHIS

Hello,

While it's never nice to hear criticism, I'm thrilled that so many people are reading our annual American Horses In Sport issue so carefully.

You are absolutely correct that we left out the breed abbreviations this year. We figured it would save space, and we didn't realize that we used many non-standard abbreviations, or that people would miss it.

Your comments have been heard, and I will make a note to include them next year.

In the meantime, here is a PDF of last year's abbreviations. It may not have everything, but I hope it helps.

Thanks for being active readers and subscribers.
    Sara Lieser
    Managing Editor
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Managing Editor for the Chronicle of the Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Lieser View Post
    Hello,

While it's never nice to hear criticism, I'm thrilled that so many people are reading our annual American Horses In Sport issue so carefully.

You are absolutely correct that we left out the breed abbreviations this year. We figured it would save space, and we didn't realize that we used many non-standard abbreviations, or that people would miss it.

Your comments have been heard, and I will make a note to include them next year.

In the meantime, here is a PDF of last year's abbreviations. It may not have everything, but I hope it helps.

Thanks for being active readers and subscribers.
    Sara Lieser
    Managing Editor
    Sara. Thank you very much! Many of us very interested in breeding por over this issue and what a great issue it is! The key definitely cleared things up! Thanks again!

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Why would you not use the same abbreviations as the FEI? Then no need for the chart, as they are commonly know, or easily found.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Thank you so very much for reading and responding. I've saved the last 8 years or so of the Horses in Sport issues just because they are so very useful. That issue is about the high point of the Chronicle year for me.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

There are some interesting breeds on that list that I haven't heard of before. Canadian Hunter... is that like a fox hunter or a show ring hunter? never heard of a Zweibrucker, Wielkopoloski and a couple other I'm assuming european breeds.

P.

Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    There are some interesting breeds on that list that I haven't heard of before. Canadian Hunter... is that like a fox hunter or a show ring hunter? never heard of a Zweibrucker, Wielkopoloski and a couple other I'm assuming european breeds.

P.
    It's baffling to me why a major magazine doesn't use the established abbreviations from the FEI? Or at least get someone knowledgeable in the area to proof read before publication

DW for Dutch? should be KWPN

Rheinland Pfalz Saar and Zweibrucker - are the same. So no need for 2 different abbreviations.
    RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2013 Reserve Champion Westfalen Pony Stallion Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by honeylips View Post
    It's baffling to me why a major magazine doesn't use the established abbreviations from the FEI? Or at least get someone knowledgeable in the area to proof read before publication

Rheinland Pfalz Saar and Zweibrucker - are the same. So no need for 2 different abbreviations.
    Same here. I kind of can't believe the COTH staff is completely unaware of the well-known, often-used breed abbreviations.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

I finally got my horses in sport issue and I find the use of odd breed abbreviations very disappointing. COTH is probably the only magazine of its type in the US, and to find they can't use the established abbreviations is disheartening, to say the least.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I find it more disheartening that Scott Stewart imported Inclusive in 2010, is still his trainer, yet he's listed as a "warmblood of unknown breeding..." Absolutely ridiculous.

Dutch is WPN to clarify, but also KWPN. Two versions of the same.......

Much of it can be very confusing. Perhaps COTH should do an article to help clarify what various breed registries are out there and which ones are represented here in NA? Just one thing I came across with my stallion for example. He was approved OL (Oldenburg) in Germany, but the ISR-Oldenburg doe not recognize that approval. So in order to be approved here, he would have to do a 70 day test here in NA. There also the International Oldenburg Registry. Have a stallion approved by them in Germany, but not recognized here in NA. As opposed to RPS in Germany, approvals are recognized here in NA with RPSI.

It's no wonder stallion owners get confused and loose interest over here. If you do 30 ay test in Germany, import the stallion to NA, you have to do it all over again. Waste of a horses' and owners time and money in many respects. If you import a stallion and you want to use him for breeding, then you have to go back to the circus so to speak. If you don't, then potentially you lose out in being able to market your stallion to breeders within that registry. Bummer.
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

Quote Originally Posted by Crossroads Farm View Post
    I find it more disheartening that Scott Stewart imported Inclusive in 2010, is still his trainer, yet he's listed as a "warmblood of unknown breeding..." Absolutely ridiculous.
    I agree! I've always loved Inclusive and it always bugged me that his breeding was unknown. In fairness to Scott though, a lot of his other horses have "known" breeding and hasn't he mentioned somewhere that he likes Escudo offspring? Which shows he has some interest in his horses' pedigrees.

So who knows what happened to Inclusive's papers...