The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt
    Posts
    18,262

    Default COTH American Horses in Sport Issue

    I've been going over every page and every horse very carefully with emphasis on sire, dam, and registry. Only problem is that some of the CoTH registry abbreviations don't make sense to me. They don't use the standard abbreviations for registries; KWPN is called DW (I think) and there are some that are just impenetrable. I know last year that a box was published with a full explanation of the CoTH abbreviations, but I cannot seem to find one this year.

    Is there one? If so, what page? I haven't made it through the whole issue yet, so it's possible that I either missed it or haven't gotten to it yet.

    Does anyone know what is meant by A-DB? If there isn't an explanation somewhere in the issue, I might well be back with some other peculiar breeding designations.

    Also I've managed to find a couple of errors so far. I cannot remember precisely what but I do know that I was surprised. Seems to me that I recall them being in the eventing section and that some were horses designated as TB who were not pure blood and were famously not pure blood TB.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 15, 2008
    Location
    Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I've been going over every page and every horse very carefully with emphasis on sire, dam, and registry. Only problem is that some of the CoTH registry abbreviations don't make sense to me. They don't use the standard abbreviations for registries; KWPN is called DW (I think) and there are some that are just impenetrable. I know last year that a box was published with a full explanation of the CoTH abbreviations, but I cannot seem to find one this year.

    Is there one? If so, what page? I haven't made it through the whole issue yet, so it's possible that I either missed it or haven't gotten to it yet.

    Does anyone know what is meant by A-DB? If there isn't an explanation somewhere in the issue, I might well be back with some other peculiar breeding designations.

    Also I've managed to find a couple of errors so far. I cannot remember precisely what but I do know that I was surprised. Seems to me that I recall them being in the eventing section and that some were horses designated as TB who were not pure blood and were famously not pure blood TB.
    Viney!!! - I am so glad you asked about the breed shorthand and particularly the A-DB but there are also D-BD ??????????? And DW must be KWPN. I kept looking for an "abbreviations key" but no luck. Driving me crazy
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."



    www.dontlookbackfarm.com



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul. 1, 2000
    Location
    Warrenton, VA, USA
    Posts
    1,432

    Default

    Isn't DW Danish Warmblood?



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan. 15, 2008
    Location
    Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    Rebecca that would make logical sense but hard for me to believe we have no KWPN jumpers but quite a number of Danish Warmbloods...???
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."



    www.dontlookbackfarm.com


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul. 22, 2005
    Location
    Middleburg, Va
    Posts
    251

    Default Breeding Abbreviations in AHIS

    Hello,

    While it's never nice to hear criticism, I'm thrilled that so many people are reading our annual American Horses In Sport issue so carefully.

    You are absolutely correct that we left out the breed abbreviations this year. We figured it would save space, and we didn't realize that we used many non-standard abbreviations, or that people would miss it.

    Your comments have been heard, and I will make a note to include them next year.

    In the meantime, here is a PDF of last year's abbreviations. It may not have everything, but I hope it helps.

    Thanks for being active readers and subscribers.
    Sara Lieser
    Managing Editor
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Managing Editor for the Chronicle of the Horse


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan. 15, 2008
    Location
    Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Lieser View Post
    Hello,

    While it's never nice to hear criticism, I'm thrilled that so many people are reading our annual American Horses In Sport issue so carefully.

    You are absolutely correct that we left out the breed abbreviations this year. We figured it would save space, and we didn't realize that we used many non-standard abbreviations, or that people would miss it.

    Your comments have been heard, and I will make a note to include them next year.

    In the meantime, here is a PDF of last year's abbreviations. It may not have everything, but I hope it helps.

    Thanks for being active readers and subscribers.
    Sara Lieser
    Managing Editor
    Sara. Thank you very much! Many of us very interested in breeding por over this issue and what a great issue it is! The key definitely cleared things up! Thanks again!
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."



    www.dontlookbackfarm.com



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2001
    Location
    on the road.....again
    Posts
    1,820

    Default

    Why would you not use the same abbreviations as the FEI? Then no need for the chart, as they are commonly know, or easily found.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt
    Posts
    18,262

    Default

    Thank you so very much for reading and responding. I've saved the last 8 years or so of the Horses in Sport issues just because they are so very useful. That issue is about the high point of the Chronicle year for me.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan. 18, 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada and South Australia
    Posts
    2,696

    Default

    There are some interesting breeds on that list that I haven't heard of before. Canadian Hunter... is that like a fox hunter or a show ring hunter? never heard of a Zweibrucker, Wielkopoloski and a couple other I'm assuming european breeds.

    P.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb. 10, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    1,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    There are some interesting breeds on that list that I haven't heard of before. Canadian Hunter... is that like a fox hunter or a show ring hunter? never heard of a Zweibrucker, Wielkopoloski and a couple other I'm assuming european breeds.

    P.
    It's baffling to me why a major magazine doesn't use the established abbreviations from the FEI? Or at least get someone knowledgeable in the area to proof read before publication

    DW for Dutch? should be KWPN

    Rheinland Pfalz Saar and Zweibrucker - are the same. So no need for 2 different abbreviations.
    RoseLane Sporthorses-Westfalen horses and ponies
    Home of Golden State- 2012 Bundeschampion 3yo Pony Stallion
    Home of Golden West - 2013 Reserve Champion Westfalen Pony Stallion Licensing


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct. 4, 2010
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by honeylips View Post
    It's baffling to me why a major magazine doesn't use the established abbreviations from the FEI? Or at least get someone knowledgeable in the area to proof read before publication

    DW for Dutch? should be KWPN

    Rheinland Pfalz Saar and Zweibrucker - are the same. So no need for 2 different abbreviations.
    Same here. I kind of can't believe the COTH staff is completely unaware of the well-known, often-used breed abbreviations.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 1999
    Location
    Clayton, CA USA
    Posts
    4,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by honeylips View Post
    It's baffling to me why a major magazine doesn't use the established abbreviations from the FEI? Or at least get someone knowledgeable in the area to proof read before publication

    DW for Dutch? should be KWPN

    Rheinland Pfalz Saar and Zweibrucker - are the same. So no need for 2 different abbreviations.
    I finally got my horses in sport issue and I find the use of odd breed abbreviations very disappointing. COTH is probably the only magazine of its type in the US, and to find they can't use the established abbreviations is disheartening, to say the least.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan. 7, 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    82

    Default

    I find it more disheartening that Scott Stewart imported Inclusive in 2010, is still his trainer, yet he's listed as a "warmblood of unknown breeding..." Absolutely ridiculous.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2012
    Location
    Barboursville, VA
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by honeylips View Post
    It's baffling to me why a major magazine doesn't use the established abbreviations from the FEI? Or at least get someone knowledgeable in the area to proof read before publication

    DW for Dutch? should be KWPN

    Rheinland Pfalz Saar and Zweibrucker - are the same. So no need for 2 different abbreviations.
    Dutch is WPN to clarify, but also KWPN. Two versions of the same.......

    Much of it can be very confusing. Perhaps COTH should do an article to help clarify what various breed registries are out there and which ones are represented here in NA? Just one thing I came across with my stallion for example. He was approved OL (Oldenburg) in Germany, but the ISR-Oldenburg doe not recognize that approval. So in order to be approved here, he would have to do a 70 day test here in NA. There also the International Oldenburg Registry. Have a stallion approved by them in Germany, but not recognized here in NA. As opposed to RPS in Germany, approvals are recognized here in NA with RPSI.

    It's no wonder stallion owners get confused and loose interest over here. If you do 30 ay test in Germany, import the stallion to NA, you have to do it all over again. Waste of a horses' and owners time and money in many respects. If you import a stallion and you want to use him for breeding, then you have to go back to the circus so to speak. If you don't, then potentially you lose out in being able to market your stallion to breeders within that registry. Bummer.
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct. 10, 2001
    Location
    West Coast of Canada
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crossroads Farm View Post
    I find it more disheartening that Scott Stewart imported Inclusive in 2010, is still his trainer, yet he's listed as a "warmblood of unknown breeding..." Absolutely ridiculous.
    I agree! I've always loved Inclusive and it always bugged me that his breeding was unknown. In fairness to Scott though, a lot of his other horses have "known" breeding and hasn't he mentioned somewhere that he likes Escudo offspring? Which shows he has some interest in his horses' pedigrees.

    So who knows what happened to Inclusive's papers...



Similar Threads

  1. COTH American Horses In Sport issue lacking hunter bloodlines
    By Deepinmanure in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: May. 3, 2011, 06:23 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: Sep. 15, 2010, 03:08 PM
  3. Do YOU have an American Saddlebred Sport Horse?
    By ASB Stars in forum Off Course
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Mar. 22, 2010, 09:59 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul. 21, 2009, 03:22 PM
  5. American Sport Pony Registry
    By Windswept Stable in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 168
    Last Post: Mar. 30, 2006, 02:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness