The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Breakfast at dawn, lunch at 12 or so, dinner at dusk, night check about 9 pm. Mine look forward to the mint on their pillow at night check!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    8 AM feedings? gee ours at fed at 4:30 AM ... they are always up ready to start another day.... evening "bedtime" is 5PM

I suppose it depends on what the horses' jobs are. I teach lessons and that takes place mostly in the afternoons and evenings when people are out of school/work. I feed when it gets dark and try to keep breakfast 10-12 hours later. My horses also get lunch (alfalfa pellets) sometime between 11-4.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

My horses are out 24/7 unless its REALLY bad weather. They get hay at 7am, 3pm and 8ish pm. All of those are subject to change depending on my schedule. Weekends, they might not get hay til 9am. But they get extra in their small hole hay nets at night. No one gets grain.

Both horses at my house are "retired" (one is an awesome selle francais who is on vaca here!) so they don't have demanding schedules. I'll do night check if I come home late (after 9pm) and I give more hay, but most nights, they get dinner and that's it. Mine are very low maintenance.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

At my barn, dinner time is at 4:30, and I toss extra hay to anyone who needs it before leaving at 7, and making sure everyone has at least a bucket and a half of water. After 7, they are left to their own devices until 7:30 the next morning.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    We do night check between 10pm and 1am everynight. The morning barn help is in at 7 in fall winter...then changes to 5:30am in the hot months. So yes night check is done.

I have personally caught 2 colics-that were surgical and both horses had good outcomes...and uncast one old pony that is still with us... Not sure that the outcome would have been positive if they had waited until morning
    This is exactly why I do night checks. You never know!

Since mine have a run-in and live out 24/7, my 'checks' involve looking out the window. Sometimes in the winter I don't feed until after dark (5 pm!) and I don't go back out after that. When I take DD to an overnight show, we'll do a night check just before going to bed ourselves, just to make sure all is well.

I go out to throw more hay and check waterers at about 11pm. It takes me about 20-30 mins and makes me happier. (I also start soaking sugar beet for the morning feeds while I'm out.)
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

When I actually had acres and acres of pasture, my horses were out 24/7 unless it was the night before a show or we were butt high in snow & ice. As long as they were out I fed around 6 pm and no night check unless I noted something unusual when I would put my dogs up before going to bed (anywhere from 10-12).

Moving to the desert 13 years ago forced me to change my equine management significantly. My horses are still out 24/7 unless I need to bring one in to eat in peace (they go back out when finished) but we're talking 24/7 on a dry lot albeit large dry lots for "Rome". I feed hay 4 times a day. Because of the distance I drive for work and when I have to be there, the horses are fed at 4:30 am, noon, 5:30 pm and then again at 11 pm. Water is checked at those times as well which becomes crucial during the summer months. All of my animals know the routine very well. If I managed to sleep through the feline alarm clock either the canine or equine one would have me up and out the door before too many minutes passed.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

When I leased a place and was on my own, the horses usually didn't get checked again until morning once I was done with PM chores. The BO would sometimes pop down around 11pm but it wasn't part of the "agreement".

In all my years of boarding there's only been one place where I know they were getting checked on regularly in the evenings. Fed around 7pm and checked again a few hours later with a.m. chores starting around 6-7am. The BO lived above the barn.

If I had my own place and I had horses stalled overnight, I think I'd do a check before I went to bed each evening. More because I love the sound of horses munching and I'd want to thank my lucky stars each night for having my own place.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

We feed breakfast and turn out at 7:30am, lunch at 1pm, bring in for dinner at 5pm and feed late night at 7:30pm. No additional check, but the barn is maybe 30 feet from the house, and our bed is right up against the window on that side. I did rescue a cast pony around midnight once, so we know we can hear anything going on. I have no desire to go out to the barn any later than 7:30 at night when it's this cold!

6 pm is last feed and check before the morning, OP? I'm assuming morning feed is around 6 am or so? And horses are stalled overnight?

That's not unusual for home horses or boarding barns. Especially for boarding barns...the humans do need *some* uninterrupted non-horsie time.

I do know a lot of barn that will do a quick eyeball of the horses again around 8-10 pm, but I can understand those who don't. If you walk in and turn on lights, you usually get a lot of stall banging looking for food.

I know for some boarders this might make them worry and that's also understandable. If no night check after 6 pm is really bothering a boarder and it's a deal breaker, then maybe it's time to start looking at other area barns who do have night check. Although if there isn't another barn in a location you like with ammenities and price you like, then you may have to just live with it. You do have the option of asking the BO or BM if they've ever considered adding a night check later, or offering to pay a bit extra for that service if that's a viable option. They may decline, they may not.

Here at home night check is usually between 8-9 pm. The first few months they were home, night check was 10, 11, 12pm, 1, 2, 3 am...etc. But now they get breakfast and turnout at sunrise, turn in at sunset and last feeding is 8-9 pm. After that they're solo until sunrise again.
    Lunch is at noon daily and there's an added feeding at around 4-5 pm in winter. Or middle of summer if it's really hot and they come in for the afternoon.
    I don't do any later check usually...I like having a few hours daily that doesn't require me watching the clock so I can run back out to the barn. Plus the horses get grumpy if I wake them up and don't feed them, and frankly they don't need 5 meals daily. And my barn OCD doesn't allow me to check the horses and NOT pick the stalls. I can't walk out of a barn with crap in a stall and I move around enough shite each day to give myself a night-time break, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Horses are fed about five pm but I go out again about eleven to do a check on them and hay. They are out but come running when I go to check them.
    I just sleep better knowing that all is well.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I go down at night between 10-11 to check on hay and water and give them a quick once over. They get a treat and then they are on their own until 5 am when I go back down before work to feed breakfast and turn out.

I don't recall ever doing bed checks after the PM feeding.

I think when we first got our 'hot house flower' TBs, my uncle fed them another meal at 10...but other than that, around 5 or so the feed went in, the lights out, until 6 or seven in the morning.
    Everybody used to turn in at 8 or 9...unless we expected a foal, then my uncle you check every couple of hours....

We had one problem at night tho...
    My sister's mare got cast.
    At 4:30 in the morning or so. There was rally nothing we could have done, since her legs stuck out the door - yep, she cast herself into the corner. Worst possible place.
    I am sure we would have missed it, we were just staying up to watch Alarich in LA...and my sister had gotten tired and was about to turn in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I bring my horses in around 7:00 pm and feed them. I often (not every night) do a night check...or return to blanket around 9:00 pm. I only have one that stays in a stall all night the other three have stall access but also have access to their own outdoor runs or paddocks. Barn is very close to my house (like 75 feet) so it makes it easy to check up on them.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

When on daytime turnout, ours get fed and let out around 5:30am, lunch/snack at noonish, dinner and brought in around 5:30pm, then nighttime snack (so also a check) around 10. When on night turnout, brought in and fed at 7am, lunch snack at noonish, turned out/fed at 4pm, then one last check around 9.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

I feed between 6-7AM, then again between 5-7PM (later in the summer). Horses are at home in 24/7 turnout. I don't do a night check unless I would hear something outside that didn't sound right, but I can also see their field well from my bedroom window.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I don't do night checks (my horses are at home).
    Breakfast-5am (another flake when I leave for work at 7:15)
    Snack-5pm (when I get home from work)
    Dinner-8pm

However...last week when we had terrible below zero weather (like 20 below) I did go out at 10pm to give another flake of hay. But that was the exception.

night check = peek out bedroom window = joy of keeping horses pastured at home.

3 members found this post helpful.

Sometimes, we do night check sometimes.

This time of year morning feed and turn out happen at 4am. Dinner is at 4:45pm, when they are put into their individual paddocks.
    If the weather is no low single digits that is all they get. If the weather is funky (really cold, crazy high winds, etc) they are checked around 9pm which includes them being given a new hay bag and their water topped off.

During the summer they do not come in for dinner until closer to 8pm and have larger water troughs in their paddocks so usually no night check.

ETA - they are home alone all day while we are at work.