The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cross-Country Shippers? I know, it gets asked all the time...*UPDATE Pg 2*

So I'm moving to a new state on rather short notice and I need a shipper for the pony. Any recommendations? Anybody to absolutely stay away from?

Anybody with lots of patience?

Pony loads just fine now, but he has a history of not loading, and I'm a little concerned that he may relapse in the face of a commercial rig...
    Last edited by SaturdayNightLive; Jan. 30, 2013 at 02:04 AM.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Equine Express, although short notice might be tough. Bad loading experience with Cox, so I wouldn't use them for a problem loader.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

3 members found this post helpful.

i absolutely LOVED the people at Equine Express (http://www.equineexpress.com/). fantastic, knowledgeable and patient people (both on the phone and in person). i just shipped two of my horses (a 17yr old and a 2yr old) from NV to OR and they were great.

i had used a different shipper to bring my TB up a few months prior and would not use them again in all honesty - communication was lacking, scheduling was a pain and then they wanted to charge me extra for things that were included in the shipping contract. this is that company: http://www.nwht.net/

Equine Express, hands down.

Also, in my experience, most iffy loaders are surprisingly OK with the bigger rigs since they can walk right into what's basically a stall.

Equine Express hands down. Have shipped from the Seattle area to Austin, TX with three different horses over several years. They have always been very helpful and knowledgeable. Would use them again in a heart beat.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

I use Charlie Gibson frequently. He and his wife Debbie are excellent horse people and horses always arrive in great shape. Not sure where you are or where you're headed but I know they will be making a aw to ky round trip in a week or so

Creech Horse Transport shipped my pony on short (5 day) notice from Miami to NC on a weekend with no trouble. I was quite happy with them and the pony came off looking good. He even did an overnight with them in ocala and he looked great for such a long journey (he was picked up from USDA quarantine).

I used McLemore's to ship a 2yo filly from DC to Seattle in July and have nothing but positive things to say about them. They stayed in contact every step of the way and the filly showed up looking like she'd just come off of vacation

www.mclemoreshorsetransport.com (I think)

Where you are going from/to makes a difference here, as these guys have routes. So what's the trip?

I've also had a recent good experience with Equine Express.

I've have good experiences with Nationwide as well, but it's been awhile and I have heard through the grapevine (but have not confirmed) that they have changed hands.

Bob Hubbard is also a reputable carrier.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've had great ships with Bob Hubbard, Creech, Pony Express, Montana Express Horse Transport, Brook Ledge & W.J.Barry.

Beware Nationwide--things have slipped there pretty badly as of 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Where you are going from/to makes a difference here, as these guys have routes. So what's the trip?
    Route is lower mid-west to southwest.

Thanks everyone for your help so far! I'm checking with all of the companies mentioned as being decent.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Brookledge, maybe, although I've never had luck getting them to commit to a date, much less move quickly. Worth a call, though.

Equine Express might not run that route, depending on what states are in involved. They're based in Texas.

You're likely going to have the best luck moving quickly by selecting someone who is based either in the state you're leaving or the state you're going to.

I've used Equine Express several times, the longest being PA to TX. I love them - they are great about communicating with me the whole route, keeping me up to date with time of arrival, etc. Always pleasant to deal with - even when their rig got stuck under our entrance!

My friend used COX and had a BAD experience Little Rock, Ark. to Sarasota, FL! 45 mins to load ...well Arab mare had to go next to 2 mini donkeys she couldn't see in a 7 horse slant in the dark! She 'washed out' and arrived 12 hrs late at midnite in shocky condition. Worst of all was laack of communication and general decency in this day and age when EVERYONE has a cell phone! that they did not call at all durng the several day trip nor call to say that they were going to be late ( this was at a boarding barn my friend had to wait) nor mention that she probably hadn't taken any water and had been frantic the whole trip. The good news...they somehow got thru FL border with over 1 yr old Coggins and health papers obviosuly written up by previous owner and unsigned by a vet! They don't get my vote.

Love C&E Horse transport! I'm not sure if they make that route, but they made a special trip for my guys.
    I used Bob Hubbard about 10 years ago and was not a fan; horse spent 3 days on what should be a 14 hour trek. Not sure if they've changed in recent years, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Route is lower mid-west to southwest.

Thanks everyone for your help so far! I'm checking with all of the companies mentioned as being decent.
    Welcome to the Southwest!

I used Equine Express and they were fantastic as well. I also don't know if they'll have a route which works because of the start point of the trip. They respond quickly to inquiries, though.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I had a terrible experience with Cox and will never, ever, recommend that outfit to haul my dog, much less a horse.
    I have used Equine Express and they were wonderful! Also, I used DDP High Desert Equine Transport - http://www.ddphighdesertequinetransport.com
    Debbie did a great job hauling our stallion down from Washington to Texas. She kept in touch throughout the entire trip and has designated overnight layovers where the horses can stretch their legs and rest.
    "When a president can pick and choose which laws to follow and which to ignore, he is no longer a president. " Ted Cruz

I just had three horses shipped from NC to TX - Legends Horse Transport.

I highly recommend them. They have EXCELLENT prices and are highly knowledgable and experienced. Their prices were thousands less than others.

My 30 year old pony arrived in terrific shape...I was so concerned about how he would fare, but these haulers were fantastic. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

I just had three horses shipped from NC to TX - Legends Horse Transport.

I highly recommend them. They have EXCELLENT prices and are highly knowledgable and experienced. Their prices were thousands less than others.

My 30 year old pony arrived in terrific shape...I was so concerned about how he would fare, but these haulers were fantastic. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Thanks for the help, everyone! I've got a trip booked with Equine Express.

Interestingly, they're one of only two out of about five that responded to my inquiry. The other one that responded explained that I wasn't on any of their routes, and then gave me a list of shippers who might be able to accommodate me. That was very much appreciated.

The others who couldn't be bothered to respond, not so much.

But alls well that ends well. Fingers crossed that pony remembers that he does know how to load...
    -George Morris

2 members found this post helpful.