The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pinfiring and resale

I was under the impression that they really didn't pin fire anymore, I saw a pretty nice 5 yr old that was pin fired, so what is the thinking on this when it comes to resale??

Can't speak for everyone, but IMO one of the least concerning track blemishes, wouldn't bother me at all.

I bought a pin fired 3 yo and was also surprised to see it--thought it was a thing of the past too.

Not an issue it all IMHO.

Wouldn't bother me.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Have a pin fired 12yo, hardly noticeable unless you looked for it... I forget it is there usually! Wouldn't turn me off, I thought it was pretty rare these days too.

Yes, they are still pinfiring quite frequently. I see it often and I have never had an issue with it come up for resale purposes. I bought a lovely 3yr that was pinfired (bucked shins in front and behind!!!!). Both vets who did the PPE (for the buyer and myself) remarked on it but xrays were clean.

Not an issue for me either when it comes to buying a horse that was pin fired...though it is a barbaric practice!

It is still done, but from what I've observed of young horses now vs. 25 years ago a lot LESS than before.

Since it's generally done for benign conditions like bucked shins or splints, I wouldn't turn a horse down because of it.
    Click here before you buy.

The two best horses I have ever had were both pinfired. As far as I am concerned it almost makes me want to buy them when I see they have been pinfired!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Cool

Thanks everyone, I was just curious as I hadn't seen it much over the yrs. I was just checking out the CANTER pa listings as I will be down there visiting a friend and noticed a nice horse that had been pin fired. My husband would probably kill me if I came home with 2 though!

From my (limited) experience with a track vet, the trainers who request pin or freeze firing are of the "good ol' boy" variety... it's the way they've always done it, so why stop? Two of mine off the track have scars from it and it's never been an issue. Wouldn't bother me at all, esp if the radiographs looked good.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Does not bother me. My last guy had pin fire marks that were quite noticable and he sold quickly.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Yep, I have a 7 y.o. who has pinfiring on both front cannons. After I researched it, didn't bother me at all and they are very prominent in summer. And I'm pretty sure if I put him up for sale, there would be some fighting. ;-D