The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Neutering Question.

The hound is half a man now, according to DH.

When they brought him out after he came around, one of the techs noticed that he was a little bit swollen, so they opened him back up to drain the area. Then left it open and sent him home.

I've never heard of that happening before. They didn't give any specific instructions for care (other than he needs to be chill until the bleeding stops..yea.. sure), and he's not wearing a cone. He is, however, bleeding.... all over my house. It's about a drop a second. The tech told DH that it'll be like that for a week?!

Can I put a diaper on him? We're getting a cone tomorrow as he won't stop buggering it (obviously) and he has to stay in the kitchen since everywhere else in the house is carpet. Crate with a towel at night. They just got home, and I'm planning on calling our regular vet tomorrow when they open.

In the rescue contract it stated that we had to use this particular vet, as they had had issues with people not spaying/neutering in the past. DH didn't think to ask if we could use our normal vet and procure paperwork after the deed was done! I'm not too pleased about it...
    Last edited by Superminion; Jan. 28, 2013 at 05:41 PM. Reason: clarification
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I'm not a vet by any stretch but I've seen a boat load of dogs neutered and I've never seen one bleed like that. Bright red blood? I'd call your regular vet or an emergency vet unless someone on here makes you feel better about it than I do!

That's what I was thinking as well, cowboymom! It is bright red. I'm resorting to Google to see what's up... my gut is telling me that it's NQR.
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

I hit google too and this was the first thing I saw-you're probably reading it right now too: http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/g...neutering.html

I think I'd go ahead and call your vet.

I was JUST reading through that as well. Scary stuff! Certainly going to give the vet a call.

Report back! I hope the hound is ok!

I would be concerned too. Can you take him to your own vet? I would.

BTW buggering doesn't mean what you think.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

2 members found this post helpful.

This is what the kitchen currently looks like... gives you and idea of the amount of blood. They've been home about a half hour...

Will report back!

That's not acceptable. Expecting him to bleed for a week is not acceptable. You need to have him checked out.

Paula

Exactly my feelings Paula. I just got off the phone with the emergency vet, who said that he's never heard of the practice. He is making a phone call for more information and then is going to call me back.

My guess is that we'll be bringing him in. Poor dude!

Poor guy. Sometimes some rescues just make my blood boil. If they're having problems with people neutering dogs, then they should neuter them before they place them.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow, that dog should not have been sent home like that.

He needs to go to your vet so they can fix what is wrong. Good luck.
    Chicken Fancier

"Mischief Managed!"

I hear you Laura. Their intentions are good, I guess....

The e-vet said to keep an eye on him. If it gets any worse to bring him in and to call our regular vet in the morning if he hasn't stopped bleeding. He also said to try to apply ice if we can... that'll be fun.

I know that horses bleed for a bit after they get gelded because they don't suture them, but dogs and horses are a bit like apples and oranges.

In your place if I have to follow up I'd be sending the rescue the bill. It is a reasonable thing to expect. When I got Yoshi from rescue as a puppy we found 3 dermoid sinus (ridgebacks have a genetic risk for it). The rescue picked up the tab to have them removed.

Paula

Good call, Paula. He's currently pissed off that he's stuck in the kitchen (I don't blame him). I feel awful for the poor guy.

I would be livid! Poor guy!

He is dripping blood because they left the incision open for draining. THey should have kept him at the clinic (or a 24 hour clinic) for monitoring. Sometimes these guys do lose enough blood to require intervention. Not many places leave incisions open anymore, scrotal swelling is common and usually goes down within a few days. Besides, when a dog loses his testicles at least it LOOKS like he;s still got them for a few days!

Id be pretty unhappy with the service.

1 members found this post helpful.

Did they do a scrotal incision? Most clinics do a pre-scrotal incisions on dogs (cats generally get the scrotal), but I have seen one of the spay/neuter low cost places do scrotal incisions on dogs. Anyway on the occasions I've seen the empty sac swell (with pre-scrotal incision) they never opened it up to let it drain and honestly it generally isn't swollen when they leave.... usually it's not noticed until the next day at the earliest. I'm not even sure they close up the prescrotal incisions.... I think they just wrapped the empty sac tightly with vet wrap for awhile and they were good to go.... but don't know for sure. And I definitely have never seen them open up a pre-scrotal incision to "let it drain". If the animal seems like it may "leak" we might put a belly wrap on to apply some pressure, but tell owner to remove later that evening. In those cases they usually end up with some bruising around the incision, but def do not leak all night... Let alone a week!!!

Precisely. And to top that off you send the dog home with clients who are not vets or techs so are less able to correctly assess a situation as normal or emergent. If the stars align it is normal and the dog is okay or it is emergent and the clients realize it in time to successfully intervene.

Paula

Oh, the poor guy!
    I would also have a talk with the rescue about the vet they use after he is seen by your regular vet. He must be horribly uncomfortable.