The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mystery tattoo....

Anyone think they are able to figure out this tattoo He's a 2006 bay gelding.. when I bought him, my friend had misplaced his papers and they have yet to be found.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...19645324_n.jpg

Had thought it was "J13415", but turns out it isn't the same horse (but a different 2006 bay gelding!)

Any help is appreciated

I see "J_39_5"...

Horse Marks
    1 No white markings. Median cowlick at eye level.
    2 No white markings. Indentation below point of shoulder on right side. Median cowlick above eye level.
    3 No white markings. Cowlick on upper lip. Median cowlick at top of eye level.
    4 No white markings. Cowlick slightly to left above eye level; cowlick to left high in forehead; cowlick to right high in forehead.
    5 No white markings. Median cowlick at eye level.

And one other with no markings, median at eye level....does he have ANY white at all, or unusual/off-center cowlicks?

He's got an itty bitty star (thumb print size), also median at eye level, no white otherwise, and no other cowlicks

Maybe Grangerardo?

J33945: Few white hairs in forehead. Median cowlick above eye level.

Or Tootough Tobet:

J43915: Small irregular pointed star, mostly to left in forehead; patch of white hairs slightly to right of star. Median cowlick slightly above eye level.

(Mmm...maybe not. Two starts in ND, nothing else.)

I can decipher many, but that's a pretty messy tattoo!

How about...

Small thin irregular vertical star. Median cowlick at eye level in star.

Horse Name Gibsons Payday
    Tattoo J28415
    Year of Birth 2006
    Dam Name Golden Top Gun
    Color Bay
    Sex Horse

Last raced 2009 at Charlestown

I picked him up in Maryland, so Gibsons Payday and Grangerardo could both be possibilities, but Grangerardo was racing thru 2011 so not him

I looked up my own horse's description on there and it was quite a bit off (said he had 2 front coronets-he doesn't, and a median cowlick-his is clearly above the eyes and to the left) so if you find a match that sounds similar and probably but isn't exact, it still could be him.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeBreeze View Post
    I looked up my own horse's description on there and it was quite a bit off (said he had 2 front coronets-he doesn't, and a median cowlick-his is clearly above the eyes and to the left) so if you find a match that sounds similar and probably but isn't exact, it still could be him.
    Did your horse race? Are you sure your horse is who you think he is? I thought they were pretty strict at the track about the markings matching the papers. I know of people who have had to send the papers back to get them corrected before the horse could race...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by podrazal View Post
    He's got an itty bitty star (thumb print size), also median at eye level, no white otherwise, and no other cowlicks
    He has to have more than one cowlick. They can be hard to see with a winter coat though. He probably has one or more behind his poll and one or more on his neck somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Did your horse race? Are you sure your horse is who you think he is? I thought they were pretty strict at the track about the markings matching the papers. I know of people who have had to send the papers back to get them corrected before the horse could race...
    Thats exactly what Im thinking. Ive had papers send back by the Horse Identifier for a lot less than 2 white coronets that arent there. That horse isnt the horse on the papers.

Laurierace- I think he may have one on the left side of his neck, a couple inches behind his poll

Yes, I've seen horses (like Lucky) who now have white that isn't on their papers (he has a dime-sized white patch on his leg that grew in over a scar) but I haven't seen any that LOST white (except maybe grays where it's gotten hard to see.) If a horse's markings are that far off I would think that it's a different horse, BansheeBreeze.

Yup, I know for fact it's him and he raced 24 times. I know all his past connections and he has distinct roaning and a skunk tail which is mentioned in the description, as well as the rest of him matching up.

However I have to take back my statements about his cowlick, because looking into it further, I realized the photo I was using to ID the cowlick was taken from a low angle and that made it look like it was in a different spot then it actually is.
    But he doesn't have coronets. He has a little white on one heel. In some photos, his actual coronet band on his hoof appears very light so from far off it might seem like he has white on his hair, but not something that would have been mistaken in person. He did run in New Mexico though. A couple years ago they had the wrong horse run in a race so I don't think they really check all that closely out there lol.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT