The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by twelvegates View Post
    Found this reference on COTH about 18 months ago, and it really is an easier way than pulling (can't say I've fallen in love with the "Moe" bangs in the pic though.)

http://www.getmyfix.org/1596/5-minute-clinic-11/
    Omg. That forelock is horrendous.

I bang my horses tails. I think it makes them look a bit fuller and I don't really go above fetlock height so you can't really tell much what is going on with it. I have one horse with a roached mane and LOVE him with the look. My other one goes au natural as he has a lovely thick wavy mane and is retired. And well ok, maybe I like braiding and playing with it sometimes. Neither of my horses are blessed in the forelock department, so I don't even brush them.

1 members found this post helpful.

I keep my two pasture puffs tails and manes blunt cut with scissors. After the initial shortening of the mane with the scissors I then cut up into the mane to soften the edge. In the winter the tails are cut to hock length and then I let them grow through the summer for good fly swatting. I would never, ever in a million years chop off my horses forelocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    I keep my two pasture puffs tails and manes blunt cut with scissors. After the initial shortening of the mane with the scissors I then cut up into the mane to soften the edge. In the winter the tails are cut to hock length and then I let them grow through the summer for good fly swatting. I would never, ever in a million years chop off my horses forelocks.
    Yes, i think i'll stick to the banged tail and mane, the texture of his mane is more human-hair like and i find it very difficult to pull, it's almost too "wispy" to pull, wispy and thick (much like my own haha go figure)

I like a banged tail although I like to keep it long as possible. My mare's tail will drag in the mud if I don't shorten but I don't want to pull the tail. So I bang.

Mane? Again, I'll scissor if there's tons of length and I haven't been keeping up on pulling, but I will remove the length bluntly then invert the scissors so the tip of the scissor is perpendicular to the mane and then go to work. Creates a more natural, less blunt look. (my hair stylist taught me this!)

One problem I have with my mare's mane is that it's REALLY think up towards her head but as it gets farther way, it gets thinner. So I don't like pulling about half of it because it gets too thin, and scissoring the mane alone in the thick part isn't enough either.

The forelock? No way. Not touching that.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Banged tail? Absolutely.

Cut mane? No.

Cut forelock? OH HELL NO.

Manes should be pulled. Exception: The Mare's mane isn't very thick, so I'll usually use a razor to take off length without taking out thickness. But blunt cut manes and forelocks? *shudder* No way.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Banged and pulled tail, YES. Pulled mane -- never cut. If extremely long, cut to an inch longer than desired, then pull to length.

NEVER cut a forelock. Owning several horses with shrimpy forelocks, it makes me cry to see nice forelocks cut.

Please note that pulling the tail refers to the hair at the top, which is pulled to narrow the dock and flatter pony booty. Never pull the long hairs to shorten the tail.

I agree that a blunt mane looks straight out of the three stooges for even the nicest looking head. Manes are so easy to "pull" with a clipper blade there really is no reason not to do it that way in my opinion. I can do most manes is 2-3 minutes and it looks just like it was pulled with a comb. For a banged tail the easiest way to get a nice look is to take the end in one hand and twist it as tight as you can get it, then cut through the middle of the twist. It makes the tail appear to be one length but the twist part makes it so each piece isn't exactly the same length.

I always banged the tails and pulled manes, except for my very nervous Nellie with a very thin mane. I trimmed his with thinning shears...but it looked pulled.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Tails banged to the fetlocks, manes pulled short unless the horse for some reason won't tolerate pulling, then razor/scissor to get as close to the pulled look as possible. NEVER EVER CUT A FORELOCK! The Dutch Boy look is just horrendous, and I don't see how you can get a forelock braid to tuck up nicely if you've cut the hair straight across like that.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

When I was a kid (unsupervised of course!) I gave my pony a dutch boy forelock and cut her mane. I thought it looked pretty.

Holy crap my trainer was MAD!

Quote Originally Posted by katestephenson45 View Post

Does anyone share my crazy fondness for this look? I personally think it's fine, though what do you guys think?
    Maybe your guy can carry that look off, but you didn't show a full front facial picture. In my experience most horses look like Moe from the Three Stooges.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    Maybe your guy can carry that look off, but you didn't show a full front facial picture. In my experience most horses look like Moe from the Three Stooges.
    Here's a front photo from late summer of last year the day i did all the trimming:http://equusphoto.deviantart.com/gal...et=72#/d4duc0j

That oogs me out.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

The only only ONLY time I ever touch a forelock with scissors is to nip the sun-bleached ends of the young squire's forelock. I only do this when they get particularly gnarly. And, no I do NOT ever cut them straight across. His forelock is poofy and it would look AWWWWFUL!

The Prince does not have enough forelock to cut at all and it keeps a nice shape. His mane is white now, so there is no sun-bleaching problem either.

Of course, I do pull manes and "trim" the mane with a clipper blade to take off the length. It always turns out nicely.

I have used the scissor method and it worked well, but I feel like I could take off too much length too easily, so I don't use it often.

I don't bang tails because I fight for every inch of length I have. Neither of my two are very blessed in the full and thick tail department though. Maybe I will try it ?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Danier View Post
    (She does not tolerate pulling at all) last summer I just hacked off half of the thickness from the under side, but now it's decided to switch sides we had a nice fohawk going on for awhile, but its all lies flat now. I'm just giving up on it for now, we don't plan to show any tine soon so whatever.
    Just a hypothesis and friendly FYI for next year: I think you created the Mane Reversal by taking out the underside. See, when that hair grows back in, it pushes the mane away from it.

If you want to get way, way into creating a flat mane, you need to think hard about pulling it for the same reason. Even when the pulled hairs come from all over the base of the mane, they make it stand up a bit as they grow in. But there are reason to pull--that's the only think that will even up thick/thin sections of mane.

The other key to a flat mane is brushing it over wet, at least once a day.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Tail fine. I don't love the blunt jumper look on the mane but it's OK. Forelock makes him look like Mamie Eisenhower.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Banged tail? Absolutely.

Cut mane? No.

Cut forelock? OH HELL NO.
    This. Ye gods... Not only fashion-wise, but just straight out getting made fun of by the other horses in the barn too.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm totally not into fashion of any kind, horsey or otherwise. I ride mounted games, and nobody cares what the ponies look like. That said, I usually do roached manes to keep them out of the way, and they do look nice as they grow in. However, I am free leasing a Connemara mare this season, and her owner won't let me roach her mane. She takes her to a breed show every August and says roached manes are a no-no for Connemara shows. The mare does not tolerate having her mane pulled, and her owner did the razor blade thing last year, which left Chloe with all these hairs sticking straight up out of her mane, and some mane that was like six inches longer than the rest. I cut the long hair, and it doesn't look bad at the moment. I'd like more details on how to cut it so it looks natural though. I'm not getting the whole "cut at an angle" thing. Or the "perpendicular" scissors thing. Can somebody share more specific details on how to cut the mane without it looking like a dutch boy? I should note that my daughter's Hackney pony looks fabulous with her mane cut like that, but her mane is much thinner than Chloe's.
    blogging at HN: http://www.horsenation.com/
    check out my writing: http://jeseymour.com

4cornersfarm:

Get a pair of thinning shears (two sided, not the kind with one thinning and one regular blade) and grab a section at a time, flat, and go over the last inch or so with the thinning shears. That will soften the ends up nicely. It's more idiot-proof than trying to cut up into the bottom with regular scissors, which is how I can actually accomplish it, because I'm an idiot
    Quarry Rat