The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

Default Dapple Grey...Color and coat care

I just recently bought a beautiful Dapple Grey mare. She is 7 years old and is actually quite dark still for her age. Her legs are still completely black as is her mane. Her tail is 80% black with a little bit of white coming through. Her hind quarter is most black/dark Grey as well.

I have used the purple stuff to get the white socks of my previous horse really white but I need suggestions on how to make my Greys color really POP!
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

I still use the purple stuff on my grey mare. She is now a flea bitten grey though.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4aOTTB View Post
    I need suggestions on how to make my Greys color really POP!
    Good food and good grooming. Really, unless you have a stain to work on, it's just the same as any other color.

Take lots of pictures, because there is not a darned thing you can do to keep her from getting whiter every year.

I don't have greys but I have two mostly-white pintos. Keeping them clean is obviously just more work, but IME feeding lots of flaxseed turns their coats to Teflon and stains come off MUCH more easily.
    Click here before you buy.

my girl was like yours when i bought her, and now she is completely flea bitten! so sad. i always used the purple or blueing shampoo and she would just gleam white. so pretty.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...56743049_n.jpg

This is my girl, dreading the whole getting lighter thing, especially the flea bitten part
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

i spot clean as needed - especially poo stains.... i keep tail trimmed so it is up out of bedding/mud/etc. i make sure there are no sweat stains left behind and then i use special grey horse shampoo and bluing to help the silver really pop!

all greys whiten - not all flea bit.... and some whiten quickly and others take years.... do you know how her parents look?

What a pretty girl! I can't help you though. I haven't had to really clean my little grey man yet... so he is pretty dirty. But I'd like to hear what others have to say as well!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I have no clue about her breeding. I have one picture of her when she was a few weeks old and she looks solid black in pictures except a slight grey around her eyes and nose and she is standing beside a bay horse that I assume is her mother.

I found the best way ever to make the dapples on a young gray mare pop...
    I used "Quick Black" because I was out of Quick Silver and the dapples were fierce!
    Very cool... I highly recommend you give it a try and you will thank me!