The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bit ideas?

I have a large horse 17.3hh RID gelding, he is a gentleman on the ground and under saddle. The problem we have is that he gets heavy on the forehand, and will drag himself and you over a fence when he is too lazy to jump. In his defense, he doesn't start jumping until 3', eveything else is a joke. I have starting using a 3 ring elevator, and I absolutly love how he goes in it, but I can't use it in the hunter ring, any suggestions? I just need a little lift, I have tried a slow twist full cheek and didn't notice a difference. He moves like a western pleasure horse in a waterford. How about a pelham?

I have a diver on the flat - going down, down, down...doesn't have the issue over fences (thank God). As we mostly hack out now, it doesn't matter. But when it does matter, she has a little rubber mouthed pelham that works like a charm.

If the three ring works well, I would think a pelham with a very loose (i.e. doesn't come into play) curb chain and the same mouth piece as the three ring would give you a very similar feel. Adding the curb chain would change the action a little, but you would need to try it to see if it bothers your horse.

Thanks, I have order a french link pelham, the three ring is a french link, so we will see.

I have a moose of a hanoverian gelding (at nearly 18hh) who's generally a bit lazy and light in my hand, but can get heavy and pulls little ole' me between/after the jumps. I found a mullen mouth rubber pelham with short shanks works like a charm. Horsie has a low pallet and single-joints don't suit him. The straight mouthpiece and snaffle rein is enough for most of our flat work, and I ride off the snaffle as much as possible. But when he gets low and starts to pull me out of the tack, I have that curb rein to pick him back up and rebalance, and then we go back to the snaffle again. I use a plain KK D ring for about half of my rides, but the pelham is great for serious jumping schools, trail riding, etc.
    Good luck in your bit search.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

I have a 17.3 hand warmblood gelding who gets really heavy and pulls me around the courses at the horse shows. He pulls me through lead changes and will nearly always throw in a trot step. I have rode him in everything from a single twisted wire gag, to a dr bristol slow twist, to a french link pelham.... then last Saturday I picked up a kimberwick. And amazingly, I've got some control now! It's a touchy ride for sure and will take some practice. I also, just moments ago ordered him one of these.... http://www.amazon.com/Metalab-Stainl...=wide+port+bit

Tidy Rabbit, interesting about the Kimbewick. Since we can't use them in the hunters, I've never owned one. but might be worth considering for schooling. What's the plan with the new bit your ordered? Will you ride in a double bridle or soley off the curb bit?
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

Maybe try a broken segunda. Legal and way more powerful then they look like they should be.

Is he green? My OTTB used to do that so I just stopped pulling or touching his mouth at all. I get my guy on a straight line, lift him with leg, and let him figure it out. After once or twice of rushing past the distance on his forehand he realized he had to slow down, rock back, and actually pay attention because I wasn't going to do it for him.

A ported bit like a segunda worked well for me for a horse that dropped his head and pulled after a jump. The same horse went very well in a 2 ring elevator. The segunda didn't work as a horse show bit since he was very rideable at shows aan could go in a French link snaffle since he didn't pull except for the end of the round when it was time to pull up.

I would try to get the horse as light in the hand as possible before up bitting though.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

I would see about trying a Myler with the slots something like this-
    http://www.sstack.com/english_correc...ection-d-ring/
    I had an 18 hh Clyde X I did the jumpers with and it was often enough to get his big noggin back up to an acceptable level combined with my using a stronger leg/spur.

I second the Myler suggestion. My pony tends to be a bit heavy on the forehand, and will drag me to a fence when she's excited.

She goes best in a Waterford, and I don't show, so that's my usual bit, but she also seemed to respond well to this:

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Myler_Eg...fle_p/3900.htm

I also use a french link snaffle from time to time. She just goes best in a bit with multiple joints that will lie across her tongue, and perhaps that's what works for your horse too?

Wear some spurs, and add leg. At home school lots of rapid transitions, and use a crop to back up your leg. Ask for an increase in pace with your leg first, and if he doesn't respond right away, use crop behind leg firmly. If he jumps forward, make sure you do not touch his mouth. Let him go forward at whatever pace he wants for a few strides, then adjust to where you want.

Make sure that you are supporting downward transitions with leg. Also learn to do proper half halts (with leg) to rebalance.

Lots of trot poles, and even canter poles set 9' apart, that you canter thru like a bounce. Poles set on the landing side of a jump, about 3 or 4 strides away, will encourage him not to get on his forehand on the landing side of a jump and dive into a corner.

After you have done this, I would consider a segunda for showing. It can be a harsh bit, so you need to have educated hands. But jumping to a harsher bit without educating him to leg will risk having a horse that gets behind the bit.