The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Purpura hemorrhagica....

Our canter mare has developed this...Into the second week of treating her now at home....she went through sales in Ocala and Keeneland so imagine she had been vaccinated against strangles..

Anyone know of good outcomes ?

Jeanne

Over where it's HI in the middle and round on both ends.

http://www1.extension.umn.edu/agricu...-hemorrhagica/

Take a look at this link.

Jingles to your mare.
    My mom didn't raise no jellybean salesman!

There was a top show jumper that had it very badly a while back (maybe 1990's), maybe The Jone Boy? There was an article about it in Practical Horseman. He was very ill, lost a lot of skin as I recall, but came back to jumpers.

Good luck--autoimmune issues are so tough!

I had an event horse that recovered very well after several months of treatment! Good luck!
    4..3..2..1...Have a nice ride!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    There was a top show jumper that had it very badly a while back (maybe 1990's), maybe The Jone Boy? There was an article about it in Practical Horseman. He was very ill, lost a lot of skin as I recall, but came back to jumpers.

Good luck--autoimmune issues are so tough!
    Yes it was The Jones Boy, owned by George Morris and ridden by Katie Monahan

The horse was at New Bolton for many weeks. He had a lot of skin grafts from pigs. He had to have new skin grafts quite often. GM sent a groom down to stay with the horse full time.

I remember, in the article, GM said it cost him $25,000 to get The Jones Boy through this, be he did come back. Not quite to the incredible jumper he had been but he jumped in GP's again.

He had come back from the World Cup in Sweden right before he got sick. It was assumed that he caught the virus over there.

BEST of luck with your horse. I hope you have caught it early. From what The Jones Boy went through, it is a horrible, horrible disease.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

I had a gelding, in the late 90's, that had purpura. Right in the middle of the hottest weeks of July and during the week of county fair - I had my other horses and kids at the fair and was running back and forth 4-5X/day to nurse him here at home. It was very intense for a few weeks, but he did recover. He had never been vaccinated for strangles. My other (4-5-6-whatever we had at the time ) horses weren't vaccinated, none had ever had strangles, none of them had purpura.

Best wishes and luck for you and her.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

We had a horse at barn that had it that- it does take time and patience to deal with but her horse came through fine. It did take 3-4 months to clear it up and it wasnt a particularily bad case.

Thanks all...We did catch it early. I was around a horse that developed purpura in the 90's and he was euthanized, but I didn't know the full details....Then. the internet is full of horror stories...

Jeanne

Bonnie (my Irish mare) had it as a weanling. I have pictures at home I can post later after half her hair fell out--she looked GOD AWFUL, lost weight, had terribly swollen joints . . . recovered 100% and is now a healthy, strapping mare, aged 13 and never so much as a sniffle since then.
    Click here before you buy.

He had come back from the World Cup in Sweden right before he got sick. It was assumed that he caught the virus over there.Quote-Lord Helpus

It isn't a virus, it is an autoimmune reaction to Strep equii. It can be exceedingly nasty.

To the OP. Many jingles! I hope catching it early does the trick.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Update....Off antibiotics for a week and no wrapping/leg swelling for 10 days...She never had enough swelling to slough any skin either, just fattish legs....She is in good weight and busting at the seams to get to work again!

Jeanne

2 members found this post helpful.

That sounds remarkably wonderful! Still jingling though.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

1 members found this post helpful.

Great news! I had a mare with PH about 8 years ago -- she ended up terribly scarred but I didn't have the resources or the time to spend on her scarring (have bankrupted myself on both counts keeping her alive!). She lost skin and was one big open wound -- heck, her lips fell off. But she survived and that's all that matters to me. She looks like a fire victim and makes for quite the conversation piece...
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

That sounds like a wonderful outcome! Thanks for posting back!